PDA

View Full Version : Getting new handlebars...

fox945
12-07-2008, 10:01 AM
I've been looking into getting some new handlebars for my 05' 450r and everything I look at that I'm interested in, it seems that I won't be putting my handlebar cover with the ignition switch and temperature indicator back on.

Just wondering what others do, just wondering if I should just remove it all completely or relocate it.

gcart2
12-07-2008, 10:35 AM
get rid of it all and add a kill switch. makes everything so much easier.

i love my flexx bars also.

WilRideAnything
12-07-2008, 12:03 PM
If you can afford it, Flexx bars are the way to go. I will post a picture of my light location. I agree with getting rid of the key switch and adding a teather kill switch.

fox945
12-07-2008, 03:49 PM
Don't know if this is the right way or not, but some of my buddies and I went riding one day and I forgot my key at the house. All I did was take the hood off and unplug the ignition switch plug and I was able to start it up. Is that really all there is to removing the switch?

WilRideAnything
12-07-2008, 04:08 PM
You have to spilce the red and black wires together or the fan and lights won't work. I cut my key switch off and left most of the wire on the connector side, cutting it clsoe to the key switch. Then you splice the red and black wires together. The other 2 wires are green and black with a white stripe. They can be hook to a Pro-Design kill switch. Make sure you hook the green wire up to the wire that comes out of the metal of the switch and the black with a white stripe to the plunger. If you do it the oppisite way it will still work, but if you touch the metal on the switch you will get the shock of your life.

exrider12
12-07-2008, 05:35 PM
not to steal your thread, but i have an 07 e start. I want to get new handle bars and get rid of the key thing and the thing with the light switch on it.

My questions are how do i hook up a dirt bike kill switch as a starter, and which one to get.

How do i cut a hole to put the key in?

and im getting a hood and im getting rid of the lights so how do i disconnect them?

fox945
12-07-2008, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by WilRideAnything
You have to spilce the red and black wires together or the fan and lights won't work. I cut my key switch off and left most of the wire on the connector side, cutting it clsoe to the key switch. Then you splice the red and black wires together. The other 2 wires are green and black with a white stripe. They can be hook to a Pro-Design kill switch. Make sure you hook the green wire up to the wire that comes out of the metal of the switch and the black with a white stripe to the plunger. If you do it the oppisite way it will still work, but if you touch the metal on the switch you will get the shock of your life.

Thanks for the info. Also can somebody tell me what handlebar pullback is. I pretty sure I know what the differences are with height, end height, and sweep but don't understand what pull back is. Kinda sounds like the samething as sweep to me.

WilRideAnything
12-08-2008, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by exrider12
not to steal your thread, but i have an 07 e start. I want to get new handle bars and get rid of the key thing and the thing with the light switch on it.

My questions are how do i hook up a dirt bike kill switch as a starter, and which one to get.

How do i cut a hole to put the key in?

and im getting a hood and im getting rid of the lights so how do i disconnect them?

You must keep the key. I did on a long time ago, but don't remember the color of the wires. I just spiced it into the wires that go to the factory on/off switch.

WilRideAnything
12-08-2008, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by fox945
Thanks for the info. Also can somebody tell me what handlebar pullback is. I pretty sure I know what the differences are with height, end height, and sweep but don't understand what pull back is. Kinda sounds like the same thing as sweep to me.

It's the same thing.

Benjithx
12-08-2008, 02:02 PM
Get Flexx bars, they kick a55!

quad2xtreme
12-08-2008, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by WilRideAnything
You must keep the key. I did on a long time ago, but don't remember the color of the wires. I just spiced it into the wires that go to the factory on/off switch.

get a kill switch for a Kawi dirt bike...or basically any 2 wire switch.