PDA

View Full Version : Baldwin Xc Cam

youngvet
12-07-2008, 09:24 AM
I've got an '07 450er, that is a B*#@! to start. Looking to build motor and tune this winter to get more power and fix the starting problem. Anyhow, does anybody have experiance with BALDWIN'S XC Cam? Im also running a one piece full tappered ceramic coated LTE exh. Thanks

Dave400ex
12-07-2008, 09:32 AM
I used this cam for 2 1/2 years. It is actually just a CRF cam, but I can't remember what year. Your starting issues will not be fixed by a cam, it is the e-start that is the issue. Best thing to do is add a kicker. Since your from Indy I suggest contacting Toby at Moto-Xperts, he can help you out with cams, kicker setup, and build and tune one heck of a motor.

youngvet
12-07-2008, 09:41 AM
Thanks Dave. What cam do you use now and why did you switch? Did you like the BALDWIN? As far as the starting issue goes, i know the cam wont fix but gonna get two birds with one stone when i build. Tuning is off and battery cant turn it over fast enough. My sons powerwheel battery actually has more amp's than my "R" battery! Wish i would have gotten a nice used '05 to build instead of a brand new '07

Dave400ex
12-07-2008, 09:56 AM
I'll be using a MXP cam. I'm using a different setup because the engine is going to be built a lot more and this cam will be better with the build. I did like the Baldwin, however it is a very mild cam. Depending on what build you do the Web 943/921 has been a good all around cam and is a drop in.

Are you building this to race XC? If so the only way you will ever get it to start fast enough is a dual battery setup or add a kicker. I had an 06ER and sold it after a few months because they just don't start. I've since had an 07 kicker and now an 08 kicker and they start on a dime first kick...

youngvet
12-07-2008, 10:31 AM
Long story short, ive had this quad since OCT 2006 new and it has 2 hrs on it. I just wanna build an all around good bike thats reliable yet powerful too. I raced moto/supercross for years and need to manage my back injury a little better so im not gonna be racing the series just here and there when i can, but mostly pleasure riding anymore. Hence "YoungVet @ 29 yrs. Bones heal, Disk's dont:ermm: I come from the 2stroke world where I had a system with my Hondas that worked. I just havent had time or money latley(2yrs;divorce) to build the "R" the way I want. I will eventually build it to the hilt but not yet, still to new with the tits still on the factory tires.Yeah, everybody gives me #@*! but by spring itll be ready. Can you have ele start with a kick for back-up vice versa, or is it one or the other? According to Mark Baldwin, its my Auto decompressor not adjusted properly therefore the starter isnt turnig it over fast enough because its not releasing the compression enough. When you add a kick can you put a hot start on this bike and disable the auto or not? So much for long story short......Thanks though Dave

12-07-2008, 10:41 AM
You can make any electric start a kicker, but as far as I know NO one has ever made a kicker into an electric. For the decompressor it is just like a valve to adjust on the cam but honda was nice enough to give us a set screw instead of stupid shims. So it is a breeze to adjust. I'd reccommend checking clearance on all your valves anyways.

As for starting though, you can't beat a kicker with a rekluse pro clutch. When I do dead engine starts, I start it in 1st gear without pulling in the clutch. As soon as the crank gets a half spin around I am going. Makes you feel like bill balance.

Dave400ex
12-07-2008, 12:20 PM
You can have the E-start with the added kickstart and use both. Most do not add a hot start. As Prodigal said the Rekluse makes dead engine starts a breeze. Start in gear without clutch pulled in and as soon as you hit the throttle your going. Trick is to be able to start it with a little throttle open!

quad71
10-01-2009, 10:06 PM
hey prodigal can you tell me the letters that are on your hrc neddle thanks.

Scro
10-02-2009, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by quad71
hey prodigal can you tell me the letters that are on your hrc neddle thanks.

He got banned. Unless he's got a new name, he's not gonna answer.