PDA

View Full Version : Are these just a fun bike?

eganracing
12-07-2008, 08:15 AM
I recently have been noticing how cheap I can pick up what looks to be a decent bike. I have never ridden a 250r so I really dont know what to expect. I've heard they handle great but idk. I currently own a 450r all decked with everything you could imagine and race motocross at the proam level. I was thinking I could get one of these as a fun play bike or practice bike just to keep the maintence costs down on my 450 motor. What do you guys think? What should I be looking at to spend for a well out fitted mx 250? Would a fairly stock r be better than buying a used one with most of the suspension done?

Also I have a 440ex with a full mx setup, do people selling 250s have any interest in these? I cant get rid of the damn thing.

12-07-2008, 11:44 AM
Why don't you just keep the 440EX as a practice bike? You race pro-am at the nationals? What's your name? Which classes do you race?

Kirt13
12-07-2008, 01:07 PM
A 250r rides much different than the 4 strokes. It would not not be a good practice bike for you.
Now that being said, it is a fantastic bike. It is very fun and it is very cheap to repair or modify compared the 4 strokes.

eganracing
12-07-2008, 02:54 PM
Ok that was the kind of info I was looking for. Im just lookin for something cheap to play around on. Not so much a practice bike but something for seat time.

mxduner
12-07-2008, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by Kirt13
A 250r rides much different than the 4 strokes. It would not not be a good practice bike for you.
Now that being said, it is a fantastic bike. It is very fun and it is very cheap to repair or modify compared the 4 strokes. i totally disagree with your opinion on the difference's and being "not good".
Riding the 250 will only broaden his skills as a rider in every aspect. I am speaking on personal experience with this.

1. the differene between the bikes, yea are unarguably different, with that said the 250 will be harder to ride...when he remounts on the 450 it will just be simpily easy to ride.This will bring his confidence level high.

2.shifting and working the levers
no doubt you have to use them alot more on the 250.(practice makes perfect)that will give him better arm strength, sharpen his reaction timing and help with focus.

3.seat time.A set up 250 requires less maintenance,is cheaper and way less time consuming for up keep, which results in more seat time.There is no argument to that being a positive for any racer.

kirt13 I do get what you are saying, and i don't mean trash ya but this is what i have been through on 2 wheels and 4.hope this helps

Kirt13
12-07-2008, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by mxduner
i totally disagree with your opinion on the difference's and being "not good".
Riding the 250 will only broaden his skills as a rider in every aspect. I am speaking on personal experience with this.

1. the differene between the bikes, yea are unarguably different, with that said the 250 will be harder to ride...when he remounts on the 450 it will just be simpily easy to ride.This will bring his confidence level high.

2.shifting and working the levers
no doubt you have to use them alot more on the 250.(practice makes perfect)that will give him better arm strength, sharpen his reaction timing and help with focus.

3.seat time.A set up 250 requires less maintenance,is cheaper and way less time consuming for up keep, which results in more seat time.There is no argument to that being a positive for any racer.

kirt13 I do get what you are saying, and i don't mean trash ya but this is what i have been through on 2 wheels and 4.hope this helps
You can disagree with what I said, no worries.
You are forgetting one key element in track racing.... That you need to be "one" with your bike. If you use a completely different bike to practice with, your muscle memory and reactions will change slightly. Thus, it would be to your benefit to "practice how you fight".

baldathoR
12-07-2008, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by eganracing
I have never ridden a 250r so ..........

I currently own a 450r

Get ready to find out what that lever on the left side of your handlebars does.

:D

norcalduner
12-07-2008, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by baldathoR

Haha!!! X2 for sho:p

C-LEIGH RACING
12-08-2008, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by baldathoR

:D :D :eek: Yes,, unless it is a NPRD grunt engine, then you very seldom touch it.
Neil

86 Quad R
12-08-2008, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by C-LEIGH RACING
:D :D :eek: Yes,, unless it is a NPRD grunt engine, then you very seldom touch it.
Neil

x2 on what he said. :devil: feathering is what birds do when their maturing. ;)

eganracing
12-08-2008, 10:20 AM
O i know how to use a clutch. I have been told multiple times that I ride the 450 like a two stroke. Its a damn challenge to keep the thing adjusted properly.

I just want something that will give me a good workout and not cost a small fortune to maintain or spending big money on parts.

I understand that they will be completly different and Im fine with that. Lookin for somethin fun to ride to stay in shape. Not to mention I havent personally seen a 250r in years out at the tracks or trails.

All250R
12-08-2008, 05:29 PM

I just want something that will give me a good workout and not cost a small fortune to maintain or spending big money on parts.

I understand that they will be completly different and Im fine with that. Lookin for somethin fun to ride to stay in shape. Not to mention I havent personally seen a 250r in years out at the tracks or trails.
Then it should be perfect for you! For rec riding minus a track setup for a 4stroke, you may like it better than the 450. A purposefully built and tuned 2stroke really is hard to match the rush.

Hard to say whether you'd want one modified already or not. It depends on how you like your modifications. From the factory they were pretty mellow and easy for about anyone to ride and enjoy.

Aceman
12-08-2008, 06:21 PM
Not to mention I havent personally seen a 250r in years out at the tracks or trails.

That's part of the fun of owning one too. You tear as* around the place and then people ask, "what the hell is that?":machoUsually only the teenie boppers though, the older folks say how cool it is that you still ride one. "I owned one of those years ago," they say.:)

regg187
12-13-2008, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by Aceman
That's part of the fun of owning one too. You tear as* around the place and then people ask, "what the hell is that?":machoUsually only the teenie boppers though, the older folks say how cool it is that you still ride one. "I owned one of those years ago," they say.:)

Yeah, I kinda hate that, they seem to look down on ya , like you couldn't afford the newest raptor or 450. I rode 4 pokes first back on 2 wheels, then 2 strokes. When I switched to 4 wheels I knew I wanted a 2 stroke, first quad was a blaster. The only guy with a blaster in a group of fast riders, with modded 250r's Bad ***, banshee's and tricked out tecate's with a few Quadzilla's in there too. Had to ride like a Mad Man just to stay with the pack. then my 250r came to be. New Sticker needed, "yes it 's old, Yes it's fast , Yes-- You can't ride it"

Now running in the desert with 450's and raptors' these guys think they can put alot of distance on YA, they are all surprised that when they pull over to wait and your right there on their tail. there like "wow, I can't beleive you kept up" I love to tell'em "kept up?JEEZ my thermostat( LOL) hasn't even opened yet"

troybilt
12-13-2008, 08:59 AM
In my day, you wouldn't be caught dead on a 4 stroke unless you were hauling square bales out to the barn or something... I get out of riding and get back into it 10 years later and its like damn everyone rides a 4 stroke now... WTF. I ride with a group of old-schoolers with 10 250r's and couple of banshees no one has stepped up to a 4 stroker... yet!

deathman53
12-13-2008, 09:51 AM
I ride 2- 4 strokes, 250r crf450r hybrid and ktm 450exc. The hybrid gets ridden whenever I ride my atv's(atc250r gets ridden more, when I ride them) and the ktm 450exc rarely gets ridden. I ride my 98 200exc far far more than the 450exc, can't beat the light and responsive package it offers, no bucking and side swapping over whoops. The only thing I don't like about it, is that at 60-70 mph the motor is screaming and it can drink gas(~20 mpg, the way I ride it), the 4 stroke can go over 60 miles and still have half the tank left. When I fix my trx250r motor, that and the atc250r will be the most ridden atv's. The 4 stroke I love is my atc200x, alittle slow, but so much fun and little of the bad 4 stroke stuff. I'm building a crf450r(with rexcluse autoclutch) powered atc250r and 200x powered atc250r. 200x will be a woods bike(awesome motor for the woods) and crf450r will be the mx racer. I really hate to say it, but with the way tracks are being designed now and jumps right out of sharp turns, the tracks are helping the 4 stroke invasion. Rausch Creek is 2 stroke territory, open track, space from the corner to jumps, and space to open it up. Atco is 4 stroke territory, tight track, jumps right out of corners and tightly spaced jumps, the bottom end of 4 strokes really hels there.

As another guy posted, about the "what the hell is that", by mostly younger people, I get stranger looks and more colorfull questions about my 2 stroke 3 wheeler, stuff more like, "What is that, 2 stroke motor and 3 wheels, whats that from, the stone age??" and "I've heard of them, but never seen one". I love it when the kids stare at it and say comments like "daddy, what is that?. Trx250r's are starting to get those comments now, isn't this sad????? In 10 years, you won't be able to find a dirtbike or atv with a carburator, everybody except Ktm has atleast 1 dirtbike/atv model with Efi.

Pono
12-13-2008, 11:31 AM
i have a yfz 450 and a 250R. i love both of them. They seem to both give me a great workout but in different ways. the 450 is arm ripping and lil heavier. the 250r feels so much lighter but requires more finesse and clutch work. the thing i absolutely love about the R is that it will powerslide for days and even in stock width. i will never sell it because of how fun it is. the handling is just ridiculous. have you ever ridden a 2-stroke 250 dirtbike then went to a 125? the different riding styles are similar when going from my modded 450 to my nearly stock 250R.

All250R
12-13-2008, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by troybilt
In my day, you wouldn't be caught dead on a 4 stroke unless you were hauling square bales out to the barn or something... I get out of riding and get back into it 10 years later and its like damn everyone rides a 4 stroke now... WTF. I ride with a group of old-schoolers with 10 250r's and couple of banshees no one has stepped up to a 4 stroker... yet!
This is kind of what happened to me. I got back in in 02 and picked up a TRX250R. I never even considered a raptor... Then almost overnight the unimaginable happened. Motors that were for your dad were being pumped up and stuffed into chassis for racing and the displacement classes increased. It was sooo weird. Guys from the 70's and 80's must have felt the same way when street bikes all became 4strokes.

criminalpoet
12-13-2008, 06:02 PM
Well I'll never sell mine thats for damn sure lol!!

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee184/criminal-poet/009-1.jpg

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee184/criminal-poet/010-3.jpg

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee184/criminal-poet/011.jpg

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee184/criminal-poet/R2pic.jpg

I get the most puzzled looks from people when I take my 250R out lol..... People dont really know what the hell it is and when I tell them its an 89 they just dont know what to say!!! I still havent been able to cross over to the 4 poke world yet, and at 33 years of age I just dont know if I ever will lol.... If I want something faster than my R I will build something with a 2 stroke snowmobile motor in it, a tripple
:devil:

leatherface
12-13-2008, 06:24 PM
ok, my dad rode 2strokes when i was little. my first cycle was a 80cc 4stroke. the only 2 strokes ive ever ridden were snowmachines(growin up in ak i didnt get alot of time on thet cycle lol) so my only knowledge of atv's is really only on the snow. i just bought my first quad. an 88 trx250r. im really excited for a great project with a huge payoff at the end. riding. back to the 2/4 stroke thing i guess i have never felt the difference properly. only riding 2 strokes that i never had to shift. i think im gonna find out quick though lol

norcalduner
12-14-2008, 01:28 AM
Most people do not know or remember what a 250R is around here that when I ride, they simply ask me what year my bike is so as to hide their ignorance, be polite or not to insult me about my quads unpopular and uncommon nature. Then, I would say its a "special contruction title" 94 350R and that answer would confuse them even more. :confused: :D

peeping TOM
12-14-2008, 03:08 AM
aint u found that lots of 450 riding get up tight ,cause they think u should be way back : not in front: lots look at 250r's as if there dinosaurs and aint the race quad thats made the quad scene what it is now.

trx310R#24
12-14-2008, 11:31 AM
yeah mine has some hp i came out of the corner about 2 hours ago an im not sure what happen but i broke it

:(

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e16/asm43101/IMG_0129.jpg

2muchquad
12-18-2008, 10:27 PM
nothing gets me more amped than starting my 250r for the ride after unloading and smelling the sweet smell of castor in the air:)

3or4HONDA
12-19-2008, 05:09 AM
i throw it way back with the air-cooled 250r!! but i love both the atc and the 400ex. the atc is a blast on the dunes and the 400ex is a blast on the trail. but my next project will def be a 86-89 trx, some of the nicest quads i have seen have been TRX250R'S.

deathman53
12-19-2008, 09:22 AM
I've never really ridden a trike in the dune, I did some small stuff in a sand put by me. It was cool, but something was wrong with the trike and it wouldn't make enough power. I'd like to take mine out to dunes someday. I have done trails and mainly mx on trikes, mx can be alittle tricky, but makes you alot better of a quad rider. Yes, trx250r's are my favorite quads. I've ridden alot of other brands/type and 250r's always win.

3or4HONDA
12-19-2008, 09:40 AM
ya ive ridden the trike through the woods a little bit, but mostly just beatin around my buddies property. i cant imagine mx on a trike! now that takes some cahones! the dunes are fun becuase you can just scream and let the front down every once in awhile lol :)

All250R
12-19-2008, 11:31 AM
Yea, me and trails on an ATC was always a risky relationship often resulting in a roll over or something fun. Ha.

Man they were fun though!

deathman53
12-19-2008, 01:54 PM
http://pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/deathman53/Cap0012.JPG.html
http://pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/deathman53/Cap0013.JPG.html
http://pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/deathman53/Cap0014.jpg.html
http://pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/deathman53/IMG_0106.JPG.html
http://pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/deathman53/Img_0280.jpg.html
http://pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/deathman53/me+at+chatts.JPG.html

The few times I rolled over was almost all my own fault(mostly overconfidence), the one time it wasn't, was when I can up on jumps face, one side of it was mud, the other hardpack, immedietly tipped it over. A few times trail riding was interesting, riding in Central North PA, rocks the size of the rear tires and big off-chamber uphills. Intimating and that can result in a roll over is the flats, then there is a big rock and you go around the rock on an extreme very slanted uphill. The first one was imtimating, the rest just flowed, hit it wot, learn all the way to the left, when yuo get to the top, pitch it(and lean) all the way to the right, at the bottom, lean al the way to the left. It takes balls to do, but isn't so bad once you realize how easy it was. I could do better with mx, I do 60 tables, 30-40ft doubles, my problem is that I don't always have the guts to hold it wot up the jump face.

I've ran into some big off-chamber stuff on trails, you know the funny thing, I didn't flip, the guys on quads did!!!!!!! Going down a steep hill to the extreme off-chamber going uphill, I was scared, got to the bottom, leaned all the way to the left almost my whole body was on the left side, gave it some gas in the apex and went right on. The guys on the quads, went down, hit that and instant flipped. I've ridden with those guys several times, my atc250r was a slaugther of everything, but tight riding. With my atc200x, I was waiting for them in the woods and could get them on most other stuff, expect long flat straight-aways. The ds650, raptor and banshee flew past me on those. My favorite trike(general use) has to be an 86 atc200x, favorite for mx 86 atc250r. Now I have a custom framed 86 atc250r(broke 3 stock frames badly), an atc450r is in the works and atc250r frame clone w/ 200x motor. Both will use crf450r tank, radiator, shrouds, trx450r suspension and inverted forks. Very little on them will be stock 250r parts, everything expect the front hub, brakes, front wheel and small stuff will be current atv or dirtbike model parts.