a few questions. this was running KLOTZ oil @ 32-1
stay with KLOTZ or can i change brands, crankcase
oil should be what??? plug # and gap??? thanks
this is new to me, not karts though!!!!! oh,
also have the name SCHULER inscribed on side
of motor, rebuilders name????

C-LEIGH RACING
12-07-2008, 09:30 AM
If the Klotz is easy for you to get & you like mixing it, probably best to stick with it.
There are other brands & cheaper priced oils that will do the same job.
32:1 is pretty much what most will mix. You can go leaner on the oil mix, but if your switching oil brands, read to see what ratio oil it is before changing the ratio.

Any change you do with the type or brand of oil or ratio change, ALLWAYS change the jets & go bigger to start with & work back down to the proper size.
If you go up on the amount of oil mixxed in the gas, change jets because it will make the engine run leaner.

Trans oil realy just depends on what you like.
Honda offers a good trans oil, you could use that or any good quality engine oil.
Dont use any oil in the trans that contains friction modifiers.
I use Dexron II ATF in ours, but we change after every week end race.

The 250 manual calls for a NGK, BR type of spark plug like BR9ES or BR8ES, most will just use a B9ES or B8ES or the small electrode EV type.
Lower the plug number, hotter the plug is. Higher, colder it is.

Plug gap, if your ignition is stock, set around 20 to 18 gap or else you will get a skip in the higher rpm ranges. Those old 250R ignition systems have made many a person just about pull their hair out.
Since your new to the 250R, what a lot are doing is changing the stock TRX250R ignition over to the CR250R bike ignition system. That change just makes life so much easier while owning a 250R.

Dont know that builder name.

Neil

bayman
12-07-2008, 09:40 AM
Neil,
thanks for all the info it is appreciated, new to this
im just changing wheels bearings at present.
name on motor is shuler not spelled as previously
posted

mxduner
12-07-2008, 07:47 PM
yea dude i have not heard of the builder either.

trans oil i use atf when i race and change after every race, but when i trail ride or practice i switch to motor oil...10/40.

gas/oil mix, i use amsoil dominater but thats just my preference.klotz works fine as well.I mix at 32:1 its easy 4 oz. of oil to a gallon of gas.the more oil mixed has been tested to give more h.p. but you have to jet accordingly.

ngk br8 is what i roll,like neil stated with stock ignition 18-20 thousandths is all they are good for.

good luck and enjoy the ride

bayman
12-08-2008, 09:09 AM
how many ounces does the crankcase normally take??

C-LEIGH RACING
12-08-2008, 03:06 PM
3/4 of a quart.
Neil

All250R
12-08-2008, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by bayman
how many ounces does the crankcase normally take??
It's not a 4 stroke. Crankcase oil is premixed with the gasoline. 600cc's is what you should dump in the trans case on an oil change.

bayman
12-09-2008, 04:42 AM
thanks for all the replies!!!!