PDA

View Full Version : HMF Engineering - HLS Suspension

Brauap
12-06-2008, 09:21 PM
Has anyone else heard of this? I thought they're pretty nice looking, and look to be high quality.
I don't know about the actual preformance of them, however. What are some of your comments?

Here is the URL to HMF's new suspension line (https://hmfengineering.com/shop.php?category_id=3808)

Here are some specs:

Elite Shocks
$895.00

Preload adjustable

Ride height adjustable

Dual rate spring setup

Unique high flow pistons allowing for a plush ride while still maintaining good bottoming resistance

Perfect for trail riding and entry level racing however they have proven them selves in GNCC racing.

With external reservoir for even better dampening control and better cooling.

With compression adjustment

Also includes a unique hi/low compression balance system for even more precise flow control for extreme applications.

The HLS Suspension systems are still in pre production stages. When ordering shocks, we need as much information about the bike they are going on as well as the rider that's on it. All factors that effect the design a great deal. Each setup is custom and each ride is unique.

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa283/braaup/1207052489-eliteseries.jpg

Enhanced Shocks
$695.00

Preload adjustable

Ride height adjustable

Dual rate spring setup

Unique high flow pistons allowing for a plush ride while still maintaining good bottoming resistance

Perfect for trail riding and entry level racing however they have proven them selves in GNCC racing.

With external reservoir for even better dampening control and better cooling.

The HLS Suspension systems are still in pre production stages. When ordering shocks, we need as much information about the bike they are going on as well as the rider that's on it. All factors that effect the design a great deal. Each setup is custom and each ride is unique.

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa283/braaup/1207052470-enhancedseries.jpg

Essential Shock
$495.00

Preload adjustable

Ride height adjustable

Dual rate spring setup

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa283/braaup/1207072037-untitled-1.jpg

907Rider
12-06-2008, 09:28 PM
I've never seen them but they seem like good qualitly
I would like to see how the "Essential Shock" dose or if its a waste of money.

12-06-2008, 09:32 PM
I thought about it but then I said why not take 450r fronts and have the same thing done for less. dont forget your paying for the new shock bodies and what not that look more flashy and less adjustments. the dont have rebound adjustment on them. I have heard shocks setup good enough the rebound is set by them internally and doesnt need to be touched and isnt needed but I always feel its good to have that adjustment because the shock builder does take info on your riding but conditions and places change so it may not be suitable for all

Brauap
12-06-2008, 09:36 PM
Well, you put in all your specs.. like your weight, riding style, a-arm length, rear tire, ect.. when you buy it, it'll be made just for your, however, your right. If you ever change..

416exfreak
12-07-2008, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by Brauap
Well, you put in all your specs.. like your weight, riding style, a-arm length, rear tire, ect.. when you buy it, it'll be made just for your, however, your right. If you ever change..

If your riding style changes or your terrain changes from MX to XC, then you would send the shock hack to HMF/HLS and have it re-adjusted for your style or terrain.

Simple.

bradley300
12-07-2008, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by I live for this
I've never seen them but they seem like good qualitly
I would like to see how the "Essential Shock" dose or if its a waste of money.

i got the second set of HLS shocks ( might even have been pre-release set) and the essential were all they had. I thought the same thing but after riding them I really feel the adjustments you get on the elites are the true waste of money. I went down 2 notches on my ride height right out of the box, and honestly couldnt ask for more. there isnt 1 adjustment I would make even if i could

12-07-2008, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
I thought about it but then I said why not take 450r fronts and have the same thing done for less. dont forget your paying for the new shock bodies and what not that look more flashy and less adjustments. the dont have rebound adjustment on them. I have heard shocks setup good enough the rebound is set by them internally and doesnt need to be touched and isnt needed but I always feel its good to have that adjustment because the shock builder does take info on your riding but conditions and places change so it may not be suitable for all

omg you and your 450r shocks give it a rest. If they were so damn good wouldn't the pro's be using them?

I bet these shocks set up specifically for you would outpreform your "gods gift" 450r shocks anyday.

And before you go on and on about the 450r's, have you ever ridden on a quad with a shock built for exactly you? You would never go back.

12-07-2008, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by DMC-4OOEX
omg you and your 450r shocks give it a rest. If they were so damn good wouldn't the pro's be using them?

I bet these shocks set up specifically for you would outpreform your "gods gift" 450r shocks anyday.

And before you go on and on about the 450r's, have you ever ridden on a quad with a shock built for exactly you? You would never go back.

alright? if they are built by the same person using the same things then what would make them any different? Why would these outperform a 450r shock rebuilt with the same specs? And yes I have ridden a quad with a shock setup exactly for me, its sitting in my garage. I really dont know why you went off like this because think of what your saying and what I wrote. I said take 450r front and have the same thing done by GTT what would make them any different besides the shock body and the HLS being more money because your paying for the shock body that looks better. Your saying 450r shocks rebuilt arent good so neither are these because they are using the exact same things!

Brauap
12-07-2008, 03:51 PM
alright? if they are built by the same person using the same things then what would make them any different? Why would these outperform a 450r shock rebuilt with the same specs? And yes I have ridden a quad with a shock setup exactly for me, its sitting in my garage. I really dont know why you went off like this because think of what your saying and what I wrote. I said take 450r front and have the same thing done by GTT what would make them any different besides the shock body and the HLS being more money because your paying for the shock body that looks better. Your saying 450r shocks rebuilt arent good so neither are these because they are using the exact same things!

I think DMC was talking about Aftermarket.. not your 450R's that have been resprung.. :eek:

Ok, lets get back to the subject.. :ermm:

12-07-2008, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Brauap
I think DMC was talking about Aftermarket.. not your 450R's that have been resprung.. :eek:

Ok, lets get back to the subject.. :ermm:

sorry to carry it on but there is aftermarket shocks on a quad sitting in my garage set up for me

Brauap
12-07-2008, 04:13 PM
sorry to carry it on but there is aftermarket shocks on a quad sitting in my garage set up for me

My bad. Sorry..

Ok. Noww.. back to the main topic. :blah:

12-07-2008, 04:38 PM

lol, sorry to go off. Im just so sick of hearing about 450r shocks when for the same price you don't have to go through all that trouble and still have an awesome shock.

Brauap
12-07-2008, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by DMC-4OOEX
lol, sorry to go off. Im just so sick of hearing about 450r shocks when for the same price you don't have to go through all that trouble and still have an awesome shock.

Back on topic now?!?!?! :scary:

A A R O N
12-07-2008, 06:31 PM
I've had some experience with them.... :p

...as far as riding with them, I've ridden a couple different quads with them and i've ridden all three; the essentials, enhanced, and elites.

I will be switching over from stock rebuilds to the elites on my race bikes for next year. They have a very unique set of components internally that make them absolutely amazing. Granted, my opinion may be slightly biased, but if any of you get the chance to test ride these shocks, take the opportunity and do so.

As for the adjustments, I will say, even on the elites that I have been using on my current bike, all I have changed is the pre load on the springs. Compression changes were not necessary and obviously, rebound adjustments do not exist. One thing to think about is, if you buy a pair of shocks, whatever brand they may be, if you need to change the compression and rebound settings constantly based on where you ride, there may end up being a lot more stress on your shocks than necessary. Those settings are basically regulated by restriction of oil flow....translating into hotter operating temperatures and greater chances for fading or even failure. It's my personal opinion that if your shocks are set up correctly for you internally with the valving then you should be able to, for the most part, disregard external compression and rebound settings.

And on a side note, there are a lot of fast, experienced riders that have had some good experiences with their HLS shocks and you guys will see a lot more of these at the races, especially on the XC side of things, in the near future.

A A R O N
12-07-2008, 06:33 PM
oh and those pics in the first post are pretty old...the shocks look way better than that now.

mcwilly
12-08-2008, 07:21 AM
I have the "Essential" series on mine. I dont have any experience w/ other aftermarket shocks, but these are far better than the stockers that were on there.

godzilla
12-08-2008, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by A A R O N
oh and those pics in the first post are pretty old...the shocks look way better than that now.

I certainly hope so. I wouldnt touch a welded shock head like that with a 10 foot pole.

Brauap
12-08-2008, 03:48 PM
Good eye!

12-08-2008, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by godzilla
I certainly hope so. I wouldnt touch a welded shock head like that with a 10 foot pole.

and i only have a 9 foot pole lol

coryatver
12-08-2008, 06:19 PM
here are pics of killerquads shocks he just got last week. These are the 450r version the cans are moved down out of the way of the plastic so you don't have to trim the plastic. I just got a set mounted on my quad I went for a little ride and they work awesome.

Ty's400
12-08-2008, 06:26 PM
Those look nice! I'll be interested to hear how they perform from the T-Rex;)

coryatver
12-08-2008, 06:30 PM
Here is a pic on my quad after my first ride with them. There is a lot of snow so it was hard to tell how they are but seemed like they will be the shocks to beat

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_cKz7i_HhBGg/STxOP0qXAII/AAAAAAAABFg/IapBqwpo_7U/s800/S5001262.JPG

ben300
12-08-2008, 08:14 PM
But do you guys think that they would or will be better than a set of pep pb1's revalved an sprung and set up for you by somebody like colby at c&d?...

ive extensively ridden a set of pb1's resprung and revalved adn they are amazing..

i like the prices of hls's....it woudl be nice for the other companies to come down in price to compete

A A R O N
12-08-2008, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by ben300
But do you guys think that they would or will be better than a set of pep pb1's revalved an sprung and set up for you by somebody like colby at c&d?...

ive extensively ridden a set of pb1's resprung and revalved adn they are amazing..

i like the prices of hls's....it woudl be nice for the other companies to come down in price to compete

I don't care what kinds of questions you ask or who you talk to about any shocks made....you can not form a valid opinion on them without having real life experience. Basically, you're shltt outta luck 'til you can get your hands on a set and try them for yourself. :p

For you, the pb1's are undoubtedly best for now because you haven't compared them side by side yet. Who knows, if you lined up the HLS side by side and tested both sets for a while your opinion may change, or it may not, but until then, all you're gonna get off the forum is a bunch of "he said, she said.....my shocks are the best" bs....

my .02 :cool:

A A R O N
12-08-2008, 08:42 PM
oh and in response to your question....sorry, but I have not ridden a set of c&d PB1's on my bikes to compare to the HLS so I can not provide you any feedback.

ben300
12-08-2008, 08:43 PM
I don't care what kinds of questions you ask or who you talk to about any shocks made....you can not form a valid opinion on them without having real life experience. Basically, you're shltt outta luck 'til you can get your hands on a set and try them for yourself. :p

For you, the pb1's are undoubtedly best for now because you haven't compared them side by side yet. Who knows, if you lined up the HLS side by side and tested both sets for a while your opinion may change, or it may not, but until then, all you're gonna get off the forum is a bunch of "he said, she said.....my shocks are the best" bs....

my .02 :cool:

jesus ****ign christ *******..i was just asking for ome guys opinions...make ****ing small talk...i didnt asked for your **** .....

and i am probably **** out of luck, cause basically everyone i ride with and rdie aroudn at the track buy the big expensive ****..

go **** off

ben300
12-08-2008, 08:46 PM
oh and in response to your question....sorry, but I have not ridden a set of c&d PB1's on my bikes to compare to the HLS so I can not provide you any feedback.

and i ws just using that as a comparison...

A A R O N
12-08-2008, 09:02 PM
and i ws just using that as a comparison...

Whoa, sorry if I offended you. I wasn't trying to sound errogant or insulting at all. I was just trying to say that you probably won't be able to find much out with that question cause the people with that much money into shocks (pb1's) will most likely not be open minded enough to consider the HLS comparable. Sorry if it all came across wrong.

A A R O N
12-08-2008, 09:07 PM
BUT if you really want me to, I can certainly " go **** off" now, i'm kinda tired anyway, i'll just go to bed.:D

ben300
12-08-2008, 09:08 PM
Whoa, sorry if I offended you. I wasn't trying to sound errogant or insulting at all. I was just trying to say that you probably won't be able to find much out with that question cause the people with that much money into shocks (pb1's) will most likely not be open minded enough to consider the HLS comparable. Sorry if it all came across wrong.

no man its cool...im truly interested in seeing how they operate..

i dont know if id buy them for soem serious mx....but trail riding it'd be alright...

i personally dont have the pb1's....but ive ridden the cock off of my buddies 450r wiht them, adn they're set up for him and he's only about 5 to ten pounds heavier than me...and they work fantasticaly amazing....way better than stock and the from factory axis long travels i have..

but im serious..i woudl like to see companies have more competitive prices so that us riders can afford to mod our quads and not live off of welfare in the mean time

A A R O N
12-08-2008, 09:16 PM
I've thrown a good bit of mx at my HLS and so far they've been excellent. I've ridden serious mud too without shock covers for a long period of time, some big mx stuff, ....anything to get them to malfunction but so far they havn't had a single problem. ....so i guess i'll keep the torture comin til they finally let me down, see how long it takes.

ben300
12-08-2008, 09:19 PM
sounds legit then....

...torture testing **** is always fun...

..hows the fade on them?....

A A R O N
12-08-2008, 09:24 PM

..hows the fade on them?....

so far.... non existant

I'm no pro rider or anything, but I'd like to think that i've ridden them hard enough to prove that they won't fade on me during any length race.

That's a big feature of these shocks. They were designed to keep from fading due to how the oil restriction is regulated.

ben300
12-08-2008, 09:32 PM
well maybe they are pretty good then..

..i wish i could get on a bike and try them out

Brauap
12-09-2008, 02:03 PM
I just wanted to share what I found in my new ATVsporty mag I had gotten today in the mail. Can you see it? ;)

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa283/braaup/ATVsportHLS.jpg

(Ignore the thing at the bottom.. haha)

12-09-2008, 04:56 PM
what shock covers are those 2 running? they looks pretty cool. HLS from what i gather the Elite are just that Elite top of the line and one of the best shocks out there. The Enhanced is equilvlent to a rebuilt stock shock.

A A R O N
12-09-2008, 05:17 PM
they're powermadd shock covers ....little dusty, but same ones

12-09-2008, 06:56 PM
they're powermadd shock covers ....little dusty, but same ones

nice they are super cheap too i just checked them out. Are they like PEP neopreme and will they run all the paint off your springs?

A A R O N
12-09-2008, 07:07 PM
they're not as soft as the pep ones, not sure what material they are though. They rub your shocks a little but nothing too excessive. I don't really care anyway though, the springs work not matter what color they are ;) ....it's the protection for the seals that matters.

Brauap
12-09-2008, 07:09 PM
What I don't like about them tho, is how there are like scrunched up.. why is that?

A A R O N
12-09-2008, 07:23 PM
uh, cause the shock is compressed

Brauap
12-09-2008, 07:27 PM
Oh, in all the pics the shocks where compressed? When they arn't, is it still baggy like that?

A A R O N
12-09-2008, 07:35 PM
yes, in all the pics they are compressed. and no, they don't stay like that. whats the big deal though? don't all shock covers move with the shocks?

Brauap
12-09-2008, 07:36 PM
yes, in all the pics they are compressed. and no, they don't stay like that. whats the big deal though? don't all shock covers move with the shocks?

Yes, they do, just ever picture I had ever seen of that shock it was always baggy like that..

A A R O N
12-09-2008, 07:46 PM
oh i see

JCoop
12-18-2008, 10:25 AM
I had a chance to ride my HLS Elite LT shocks this weekend. I had Laz build me a pair to go with Ars Fx A Arms. I was very very please on how well these shocks performed. I previously had GTT 450r rebuilds and GTT a arms and my new set up blows them out of the water.

Like Aaron said, these shocks have very little, if at any, shock fading. You can hit very rough sections with speed and the HLS shocks will soak it right up. The only thing I changed on the shocks was pre load to get my desired ride height.

I am very happy with my choice to go with the HLS elites, I don't think anyone would be dissapointed. I will try to get photos of my set up once I get everything cleaned up.

Brauap
12-23-2008, 06:40 PM
What is the difference between the Elite and the Enhanced?

Is the Elite a front shock and the Enhanced a Rear?

coryatver
12-25-2008, 08:28 AM
enhanced is can resi's

elite is piggy back resi's and also has low speed compression adjustment

it says exactly what they are very clearly on there website link you posted:huh

LTRracer4
12-26-2008, 10:35 AM
those of you who claim that shocks dont need adjustment have no clue. I adjust my shocks about every third track i ride. the rebound is a very important adustment. i change that between rolling highspeed tracks and more techniqle tracks. anyone who has comented so far has not owned any other high performance shocks. Resprung stock shocks dont count. has anyone OWNED a set of PEP's or evols that has tryed these shocks?

jacobw
12-26-2008, 11:37 AM
these are nothing more that glorifed works shocks, you can even make them feel good if you dad is a shock tuner and has time to take them apart and put them back together a bunch of times to get them right, you notice that brandon is on ohlins shocks now.

A A R O N
12-26-2008, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by LTRracer4
anyone who has comented so far has not owned any other high performance shocks. has anyone OWNED a set of PEP's or evols that has tryed these shocks?

That's a pretty bold statement.

Yes, and YES.

A A R O N
12-26-2008, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by jacobw
these are nothing more that glorifed works shocks brandon is on ohlins shocks now.

They are way different internally.

...Sponsorship reasons.

Please people, all I, and everybody else interested ask is for you to form opinions carefully and proclaim "facts" only based on first hand experience, not assumptions. It will provide a MUCH greater resource for those reading this thread purely for information. After all, that is why we're here right? ....to help fellow riders understand new products and figure out what's up with them....

coryatver
12-26-2008, 02:45 PM
I went for a ride today. Compared to 450r gt thunder coversions they are a lot better in slower stuff. And the faster you go the smoother it gets. I can't wait to try them on dry whooped out trails to get a better feel for them.

It was icy and snowy today but hitting stumps hidden under the snow i didn't even feel anything until the back tire hit it it was amazing after that I purposly was hitting stuff and going into ruts and they work awesome

LTRracer4
12-27-2008, 01:00 AM
im not making assumptions about the shocks, im just saying more serious races whether it be xc or mx are gunna shy away, because they want all the adjustment they can get.

bradley300
12-27-2008, 07:45 AM
are you sure? brandon sommers didnt touch the adjustments all last year, and only re-sprung them once (for the florida GNCC)

if you leave the adjustments all the way open, the oil lows the best, so they dont fade, thats one of the big bonuses of these is even my econ's w/ no adjusters dont have any fade in them

Dave400ex
12-27-2008, 09:34 AM
Sommers ran the TTX last season. I think your thinking about 07 Bradley.

LTRracer4
12-27-2008, 10:22 AM
well then maybe mx is different, because i make fine adjustments to my shocks all the time.

JCoop
12-29-2008, 10:16 AM
I have a buddy that has a set of HLS Elite front shocks for a YFZ450 for sale. He is only asking 550 shipped for them. Only have one ride on them. PM if you want his number. Thanks.

mcwilly
12-31-2008, 06:59 AM
Hey Brauap, there's a write-up on the HLS shocks in this months edition of "ATV Sport". (pg. 52)
Just FYI

12-31-2008, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by JCoop
I have a buddy that has a set of HLS Elite front shocks for a YFZ450 for sale. He is only asking 550 shipped for them. Only have one ride on them. PM if you want his number. Thanks.

thats scary to have shocks for one ride and decide to sell them

Chino886
12-31-2008, 11:16 AM
This reminds me of campaign ads........

This is not going to get you anywhere and if you buy shocks based on what _______ said in a thread then I've got the best piston for you in my garage and no one else can get it. It will make 100 hp easily on pump gas.

Live, laugh, be happy and ride!

ohsobad_chevy
12-31-2008, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Chino886

This is not going to get you anywhere and if you buy shocks based on what _______ said in a thread then I've got the best piston for you in my garage and no one else can get it. It will make 100 hp easily on pump gas.

Very well said!! :)

450Rchaser
12-31-2008, 08:35 PM
I have the elite

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m115/sdime20s/hls002.jpg

I have 2 full turns from the softest setting for XC. The pic is before I set the ride height. I dont like my a-arms to be quite so flat but alot of pros look like there a-arms are straight as hell.

JCoop
01-02-2009, 07:10 AM
thats scary to have shocks for one ride and decide to sell them

He bought them off Ebay and was going to use them with his GTT arms, The HLS shocks he bought were for stock a arms so they wouldnt work correctly with his GTT arms. He is trying to sell them so he can order a set to match his GTT arms.

coryatver
01-02-2009, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by Chino886

Maybe you missed where it says this on the front page of there website:

"TEST IT: One day with these shocks and you will be convinced. Contact us for details"

At a local XC race I went to I talked to laz of gt thunder and he asked me if I wanted to test the shocks for a race. This isn't any campaign ad. Try them out if you don't believe how good they are.

Chino886
01-02-2009, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by coryatver
Maybe you missed where it says this on the front page of there website:

"TEST IT: One day with these shocks and you will be convinced. Contact us for details"

At a local XC race I went to I talked to laz of gt thunder and he asked me if I wanted to test the shocks for a race. This isn't any campaign ad. Try them out if you don't believe how good they are.

Cory,

I know that Laz stands behind his suspension and I have ridden his products before.

Maybe you missed what I meant........I am talking about a thread on a internet forum!

Me

coryatver
01-02-2009, 10:28 AM
I took it as you were saying that this is just hype. Sorry about that

Chino886
01-02-2009, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by coryatver
I took it as you were saying that this is just hype. Sorry about that

No apology necessary, if I did not have my suspension setup already, I would jump on the opportunity to try out HLS.

QuickZero
01-15-2009, 05:46 PM
i have the hls advanced and they blew the seals after the second race but they did ride good