PDA

View Full Version : Ricky Stator not enought!!!

joker11
12-06-2008, 08:58 PM
I bought the RickyStator 50w stator for my son's bike. It gives me 40watts for the lights and whatever's left for the ignition. There isn't a full 50watts there after the rectifier.
Why did the earlier bikes have 90w stators and then Ricky dropped to 50 on the later bikes? What gives?
Is there anything better out there?

redrocker
12-06-2008, 10:00 PM
Only Ricky Stators KNOWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

joker11
12-06-2008, 10:54 PM
Ok, why they dropped the wattage was a rhetorical question.

Does anyone know of something better?

ROBBSRACING
12-07-2008, 06:29 PM
The lighting coil has nothing to do with the ignition. What are you having for a problem ?

joker11
12-07-2008, 08:09 PM
Thanks for the reply.
Actually not a problem as much as a limitation. We ride in the desert washes where 60ft cliffs are common. It's fun to ride at night but I would like to have better lighting. I would like to have the ability to add more lights to my quad. I have been looking at HID, LED and good old halogens. All require quite a bit of current to get decent lighting.

I added a 200amp alternator to my truck but that's an easy task when the engine compartment is built for an alternator and the alternators are available.

I always seem to want more. My outboard motor on my Party Barge Pontoon boat didn't keep up with my radio and amplifiers either. I'll never buy another outboard for that reason alone.

Robb, where exactly is the lighting coil located? I assumed that the stator charged the battery and that the battery was for ignition. Maybe the stator only charged the battery so that they could facilitate electric start? Is the ignition separate? Could you run these bikes minus the stator and battery if they were kick start? Just looking to understand better. Thanks!

Any input is appreciated..

joker11
12-08-2008, 09:53 AM
I just called Ricky Stator. According to them the stator does run the ignition, but not directly. The stator charges the battery and the ignition runs off the battery. The old stators had a coil that ran the ignition directly. So when they built the stators for the 07's they just didn't wind that one coil. I asked about using it and they said it would not provide significant power so they left it empty.
According to Ricky Stator the only way to get more light is to go with an HID setup. Ouch! That's about 500bucks for that!