PDA

View Full Version : New head work... now no start...

RoadRage77
12-06-2008, 04:47 PM
Well, I had my valves over sized to plus 1. And now my quad won't stay running.. I sprayed carb cleaner in my carb but I didnt change anything else in the carb. Same main jer, same idle positions, same clip position... Now the bike will fire up and idle but soon as u give it some throttle it dies out.. I also switched up the carbs with an identical carb... same results

Mods
x-6 sparks pipe
tc 926 grind cam
39mm FCR carb
440 13-1 piston JE
Race fuel 110... Brand new...
And like i said.. the head was sent out to be decked and over sized valves...
Orig crank n rod...

now what do u guys think it can be?? its a 170 main jet in the carb... could that be my problem, not enough fuel since i got bigger valves...
help.. im ripping my hair out.. thanks..

drew416ex
12-06-2008, 05:01 PM
you probably need to go up with your jetting. Try it and see how it acts.

blankenship
12-06-2008, 05:02 PM
well firsy i would check my jets thats where the problem seems to lie cause it will idle so your pilot jet is where it should be but when u give it gas(your needle and main jet) it dies what i would do is try moving the needle up and if nothing happends move it back and go up 1 size in your main jet and so on and u will find the sweet spot

RoadRage77
12-06-2008, 05:09 PM
OK ill go try that now, thanks for fast reply. My buddy thought it was something with the carb.... ill be back with my outcome..

Brauap
12-06-2008, 06:36 PM
Thats a sign of usually either not getting enough air or fuel.. like stated above.. its in your carb.. most likely the jetting..

When you say you didn't change the jetting.. is that stock getting with all your mods!?

RoadRage77
12-06-2008, 06:44 PM
Grrr I cant find any more jets.. I know i more around here somewhere....
And Brauap, when i said i didnt change the jetting.. I meant.. when Brauap I took the head off with the original valves.. I cleaned the carb out but i didnt touch the jets .. we had put 170 main.. i forget the pilot put it use to run like a raped ape.. hopfully i you know what i mean now
but thanks.

Brauap
12-06-2008, 07:06 PM
Well, if you can't find them, here is where I always and always will get mine. Fast shipping and good prices! I love it!

JetsRUs.com (http://www.jetsrus.com)

Ruby Soho
12-07-2008, 07:35 AM
if it wont stay running its not the main, the main only controls 3/4-WOT.

it would be your needle/pilot if it were jetting

drew416ex
12-07-2008, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Ruby Soho
if it wont stay running its not the main, the main only controls 3/4-WOT.

it would be your needle/pilot if it were jetting

The main doesnt just control WOT. it also affects the needle circuit. If the main is changed, it alters the needle too since the needle circuit runs through the main.

RoadRage77
12-15-2008, 05:35 PM
Well, I've seemed to found my problem. First, the clip on the needle of the FCR came off.. I used a assortment pack from PepBoys along time ago and never replaced it with the right size clip.. SO work to the wise... get the correct one, the assortment clip pack will work if your in a jam.
Next, I got the bike to fire up.. and then it started sounded funny, making wild noises, So I had to take the valve cover off and look at Timing... Well, sure enough timing jumped on me.. I was ready to rip my hair out after fixing the timing twice.. So I got the flash light out.. and I was comparing cam chain tensioners( since I have 2 400exs...) I noticed the tensioner was not out all the way.. when I popped it out of the motor sure enough.... it was shot...
I put the tensioner in from my other bike and it runs good as gold now. SO... next time your bike wont start.. might have jumped timing... if u narrow down your fuel, spark and compressor..
Motors.. gotta love em.. (WHEN THEY RUN RIGHT)

HondaRaceReady
12-15-2008, 07:04 PM
How much more horsepower and torque do you think it has with the bigger valves? I heard they actually lose torque, but have like 2-3 horsepower depending on how big you go.

RoadRage77
12-19-2008, 02:36 PM
I dont know how much HP. I dont have access to a dyno. I took it for a quick ride but I cant really say how much improvement it made on the bike. plus I still need to adjust the valves big time...

Ruby Soho
12-19-2008, 07:41 PM
timing is usually next on my list after i narrow those down.

adjust them valves and let us know how it runs