PDA

View Full Version : Rear shock debate.. discussion inside

Derrick Adams
12-06-2008, 03:32 PM
Which do you prefer better on a 250R geo. frame? Why would you prefer it?

No link-

CR500-

CRF450-

250R-

jrspawn
12-06-2008, 11:57 PM
The CR500/CRF450 link is the best rear end setup i would say to date! Ive used both the CR and the CRF link and could tell absolutely NO difference in them at all. They are a very similiar design. A no link rear is right there with them also though. Some may like the no link better depending on the chassis. Different companies use different length shocks and geometry with no links sometimes. A stock link is inferior. I dont care how much someone will say that their stock link with a perfect built shock is good, its not anywheres near what you will get out of a properly setup CR/CRF rear end, not even close!

But with all that said, any linkage will only benifit you if your shock is set properly. Ive seen first hand too many times guys bolt up their shocks and hit the track. Maybe turn the compression knobs a couple times and think its good. Take the time and dial them in correctly, some people would be amazed in the change of overall handling with just taking the time to dial your shocks in. It can be a night and day difference.

Thank you
Justin

Derrick Adams
12-07-2008, 07:15 AM
What do you feel makes the CR500 set-up superior. Is it the linkage? It's my understanding that the CR linkage is linear, not progressive like the 250R. My guess is the CRF is the same. Seems as though that would make the shock much easier to dial in.
This could also hold true with the no-link.

jrspawn
12-07-2008, 04:50 PM
When it all comes down to it, you just have to ride them yourself to understand the difference. Its hard to explain differences to someone that hasnt ridden them.

Thank you
Justin

SWIGIN
12-09-2008, 05:24 PM
my RX has a cr500 PEP setup and i'll never change