PDA

View Full Version : stock 08 apex swing arm

zach R 7x
12-05-2008, 10:21 PM
does anybody have a 08 apex stock long travel swing arm , that they would like to sell ?

zach R 7x
12-08-2008, 06:15 AM
has anybody come up with a good idea yet on how to keep chain on the 08 apex lt . i have been told that there is just to much travel in this swing arm and shock pachage . when i bought this quad the guy i got it from basically tried to strenthin up the arm by cutting out the arms and replacing with heavier steel . now it looks ok but there was only a chain guide on it and no tensioner , now the chain pops off the front sprocket and lodges itself between the sprocket and cases. did this twice in two laps. i have since purchaced ztr tensioner, and frame saver and new sprockets, d i d chain . we went to ramjams indoor track ,and ran two sessions at 6 laps a piece. the chain stayed on , butt i had to tighten it so much that i am afraid the chain will break sooner than later or wear something else out faster! it just seems to me that the r/d on this swing arm and shock was not done and we have to pull our hair and our wallets out and figure it out! i am close to scraping the swimg arm altogether and going to the old style ! so if anybody has any good ideas i would be very grateful for any suggestions

jread14
12-08-2008, 08:44 PM
Dont run your chain too tight or you will snap the chain or bend the output shaft. I have a friend that learned this the hard way this past season. The ZTR tensioner and frame saver will keep the chain on if you will allow it to do its job without the cahin being so tight. Just make sure you have the tensioner rotated so that it has plenty of tension on the chain. Good luck!

XXX -rider
12-09-2008, 03:32 AM
Originally posted by zach R 7x
has anybody come up with a good idea yet on how to keep chain on the 08 apex lt . i have been told that there is just to much travel in this swing arm and shock pachage . when i bought this quad the guy i got it from basically tried to strenthin up the arm by cutting out the arms and replacing with heavier steel . now it looks ok but there was only a chain guide on it and no tensioner , now the chain pops off the front sprocket and lodges itself between the sprocket and cases. did this twice in two laps. i have since purchaced ztr tensioner, and frame saver and new sprockets, d i d chain . we went to ramjams indoor track ,and ran two sessions at 6 laps a piece. the chain stayed on , butt i had to tighten it so much that i am afraid the chain will break sooner than later or wear something else out faster! it just seems to me that the r/d on this swing arm and shock was not done and we have to pull our hair and our wallets out and figure it out! i am close to scraping the swimg arm altogether and going to the old style ! so if anybody has any good ideas i would be very grateful for any suggestions

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=367997

zach R 7x
12-09-2008, 07:35 AM
that is what i am afraid of ,i am going to loosen it a little at a time and test it . right now i have water pump issues and have to wait for parts to put the motor back together . thanks for the info

TRX450RACER174
12-09-2008, 10:26 AM
Is this only a L/T model problem? Our 06 has never thrown a chain just wondering cause i was wanting to switch to L/T in the future.

zach R 7x
12-10-2008, 08:40 AM
as far as i know it is just a lt problem . my friend has a 07 and he has never had these kind of problems. like i said ,i think that there is just to much throw in the shock ,and was just wondering if anybody had any other ideas that they tried . i talked to Tom from atv four play and i going to take it to him and have him look at it and see what i am missing. i think it will work just have to figure it out.

srwils08
12-15-2008, 01:30 PM
we raced our 08 stock apex all season and the chain never came off i had to remove the washer from the pivot on the tentioner and shorten the chain but no problems after that

zach R 7x
12-15-2008, 05:13 PM
called, scott at apex today .just to see what he thought, and he also said he has not had that problem either and he thought that it was probably this morphidite homemade swing arm[my discription] i am dealing with .i am probably just going to puchase the new chromeally swing arm from westcoast or one from atv four play . thanks for all the info from everybody.

Mini Maniac Dad
01-26-2009, 12:33 AM
What did you figure out for this problem? My buddy's daughter races an 08' LT 100 and she has thrown the chain many times. He is slowly working through all of the junk that they come with such as the chain and sprockets. The chain streched with every race and the sprockets only lasted a handful of races.

He ended up getting a new chain and sprockets kit (not from West Coast Quads) and the ZTR tensioner. So, after another $150.00 + that problem should be fixed. There are some good ideas on the Apex, but to make them affordable (I suspect), there are a lot of cheap items you have to work through if you are going to actually race them. The chain coming off of the Long Travel model is just one.

zach R 7x
01-26-2009, 07:53 AM
mini maniac dad,
i fixed the chain problem, with the ztr frame saver and the chain guide . the stock shocks on my apex were just wore out . i had the rear rebuilt and bought a new set of elkas for the frt. what i had to do in order to tighten chain properly was, to loosen chain then collapse shock by pushing down as far as i could ,and adjusting chain tensioner as tight as i could, then adjust round house with the shock still collapsed. this ended up giving me about 3\8 -1\2 in of slop in chain, with out running out of adjustment in the round housing. now this did not completely eliminate the chain whip but it really helped it .
we have not had any problems with it since. although i did go out and by the best [imo] chain [did gold] and put in all new trans bearings and gears and replaced the bearing in the trans saver,also replaced frt sprocket with a stock 20 tooth .
from the people i have talked to they have put the ztr stuff on and it seemed to do the job.once you get it right you should not have any problems .
hope this helps
tim

Mini Maniac Dad
01-26-2009, 10:55 AM
Thanks Zach. I will let my buddy know. My son races a Predator 90 and I am trying to find the long travel setup to put on his so this will come in handy when I get that done as well.

bignasty
01-26-2009, 08:05 PM
for sale swing arm, cheap!:D :D :D

Mini Maniac Dad
01-26-2009, 08:18 PM
Sweet!!!! I'll take two if you have them. :D :D :D

Andyman17dad
01-29-2009, 06:07 PM
I got one that looks JUST like that, only in black powdercoat!!
priced to move, DIRT CHEAP, call now for special deal!!!