PDA

View Full Version : 250R pipe question

jmack3986
12-05-2008, 07:50 PM
Okay I'm new to 250R quads but i know a few things about bikes. I currently have this setup. PT cool head 38mm pwk Carb it had a LRD pipe on it with porting and a few other mods to the motor. The LRd pipe rusted through and do to funds i could not afford a new lrd. So i did some dyno chart searching and saw that the FMF gold series fatty had the same power curve as the LRD and had the same horse power output. The test were all done on the same bike and tuned to each exhaust as far as jetting. I concerned after purchasing the fmf that i won't be able to get teh same power i had before, and that the jetting is going to be way off. can anyone help me out so i know what to expect? I want to know If there is a huge difference between the 2 exhaust.

Master LTR450
12-05-2008, 08:16 PM
I have heard the same thing about the fmf and lrd putting out the same numbers on the dyno. as far as jetting you should be good, you might need to change it just a little but i doubt it.

1promodfan
12-05-2008, 09:11 PM
Pm sent.....

atvmxr
12-06-2008, 02:32 AM
i call BS, no way a FMF general all around can compare with an LRD.... :ermm:

Master LTR450
12-06-2008, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by atvmxr
i call BS, no way a FMF general all around can compare with an LRD.... :ermm:

You can call BS all you want but what do you think?? :confused:

http://www.atvsource.com/images/article_images/product_reviews/2001/250r_dyno_run/sparks_fmffatty_lrdteamb.jpg

86 Quad R
12-06-2008, 07:23 AM
FWIIW

the new generation fatty pipes put out no where near the power as the old originals did.

Master LTR450
12-06-2008, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by 86 Quad R
FWIIW

the new generation fatty pipes put out no where near the power as the old originals did.

This may be true but at the same time you could say the same thing about the LRD pipes as well.

jmack3986
12-06-2008, 09:15 AM
I will say this my LRD is a older pipe from early 90's Hence why it rusted through and broke. So with that being said the new fmf should be equivilent

Rich250RRacer
12-06-2008, 05:13 PM
Check out the dyno reports in the GT Thunder old testing section of their website, there's a lot of different pipes tested. Pay attention to the one the reads "250 R with stock 1986 cylinder, cool head - 23cc dome, rad valve FMF fatty pipe, FMF turbine core silencer, and a K&N filter. 41.1HP", it's pretty impressive.

atvmxr
12-06-2008, 08:22 PM
unless the FMF is alot cheaper and/or you dont care about performance (ie no porting, stock carb, etc.), I fail to understand why you wouldnt buy a motor builders pipe like ESR, LRD, sparks, etc. etc. :ermm:

sure maybe on a "stock" motor the FMF is in the same league, but once you have porting etc. the FMF is behind

atvmxr
12-06-2008, 08:27 PM
oh and please send me pics of that LRD to atvmxr78@yahoo.com

if it is truly the team "A" pipe from way back in the early 90z I would be more than willing to take it off your hands. :)

Master LTR450
12-06-2008, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by atvmxr
unless the FMF is alot cheaper and/or you dont care about performance (ie no porting, stock carb, etc.), I fail to understand why you wouldnt buy a motor builders pipe like ESR, LRD, sparks, etc. etc. :ermm:

sure maybe on a "stock" motor the FMF is in the same league, but once you have porting etc. the FMF is behind

Have you dynoed different pipe with different motor work? The fmf is not the best pipe available but it is definatly underrated!! Team b lrd is probably an over rated pipe, actually I have heard alot of people disapponted with that pipe.

jmack3986
12-06-2008, 11:36 PM
Alot of pipes power is misconcieved do to the way they "hit" Fmf pipes are known for a smoot transition and with my lrd i felt the power hit hard but the bike didnt make any low end. And yes it was jetted correctly. People see the problem i have a power but its not its false power. so with that said and all the reviews i have read and research i have done I believe the fmf fatty will be a upgrade. I will have usable power from idle to top and have a slight increase throughout out the power curve. If FMF sucks so bad then why did doug gust use a FMF exhaust back when he was racing a 250R? and if they suck so bad then why did he rank 3rd in the series? just some more thoughts to add to this post of mine. I agree with masterlt450 that FMF is underrated and can be just as good as any exhaust and to throw another curve ball at you if i was a engine builder and i made a exhaust for a bike wouldn't i recommend you to use it with my motor work? I would cause it would be more revenue for my company. A LRD pipe is 500 bucks after they do their port work they are going to recommend their exhaust and more then likely the person who got them to do the port work will buy the exhaust but is it truly the best exhaust for the porting? Or are they just trying to get more money out of you.

mineralgrey01gt
12-06-2008, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by Master LTR450
Have you dynoed different pipe with different motor work? The fmf is not the best pipe available but it is definatly underrated!! Team b lrd is probably an over rated pipe, actually I have heard alot of people disapponted with that pipe.

i was disappointed with my LRD I used to run on my 250r. It was a team B. My brother still has it but he switched to a trx5 from esr and he claims hes happy with it

dunatic
12-07-2008, 12:36 AM
I live in LRD country (Portland) and know Arlen personally.

I ran his pipes for many years. It wasnt until we did a dyno shoot out at the shop that we found the truth.

We had the following to compare:

LRD Team A
LRD Team B
LRD Big Bore (350)
CT Whale
PT High Rev
FMF SST
FMF Fatty
FMF Knarly
ESR TRX5
ESR Zepplin
Klem Research
PSI

The motor was basically stock. +.060 overbore, Mild dune port, 36mm carb, Rad valve, timing advanced +3, 200 psi of cranking compression, Race Gas 40:1.

On top came the ESR Zepplin, then the CT Whale.

Widest power band was the FMF Fatty, then the TRX5, then the PT High Rev.

Lowest torque (4-6,000 rpms) Klem Research, then the PSI

the LRD pipes were all in the middle....never once came in on top.

We dialed the jetting in on the PSI pipe and never made a changed other than pipes. So Im sure that some more could have been extracted from each and the final results may have changed. But for the average joe, that buys a pipe, bolts it on and his jetting is close, these were real world tests.

86 Quad R
12-07-2008, 12:44 AM
i've actually done my own tests with the three different generation pipes i have against that particular lrd and a few others on a variety of engine setups(all mid range ported) and i wasnt impressed either.

in the future i want to get an older style esr5 as well as the new one.

Originally posted by dunatic
Widest power band was the FMF Fatty, then the TRX5, then the PT High Rev.

thats been my finding as well.