PDA

View Full Version : Dragracing 250r

volsung
12-05-2008, 05:11 PM
First off, I would like to say hey to every one and that I have enjoyed reading about and looking at all the great Rs.

Over the past couple of years, I've been working on an '87 R that I aquired in boxes. This year I ran a CT True 250 cylinder with v-force 3 reeds, stage 4 pipe, PVL ignition and a 39mm pwk carb and was beaten soundly. The drag racing class was opened up to include 330's which may account for some of it but I would like to stay in the 250 class in hillcliming so a 330 kit is out of the question. So, here is the question. I'm looking at sending the ct jug to FTZ for a port and polish and getting the FTZ inframe pipe, reeds and minkuni flatside carb. Has any one had experience with set up and will it be competitive with 330 bikes? Also, any ideas for a removeable drag bar? I own a small fab shop so I can build one, I'm just looking for length, height, and bolting points. I'm new to both drag racing and forums so any help will be greatly appreciated. I've attached a picture of my 87.

atvmxr
12-06-2008, 02:40 AM
see if you can find some +2 forward a-arms.. drag racing is all about being able to launch hard at WFO... the FTZ is supposed to be really good for top end power, but only rumors to me, no personal experience.

volsung
12-06-2008, 08:07 AM
CT True 250 cc jug

mineralgrey01gt
12-06-2008, 10:30 AM
id send the jug to Neil and let him port it for what you want to do with it. He is awesome when it comes to porting.

dunatic
12-07-2008, 01:31 AM
port it for drag

ESR TRX11 or TRX5 pipe

40mm lectron carb

mount your wheelie bar to the bottom of the rear carrier pinch bolts and then the uppers to both side of the rear grab bar mounts.

Youll have to strut it to keep the bar from raising when you launch and the rear end squats.

The bar should be around 6 feet behind the bike and start with the wheelie bar tire the height of a beer can off the ground. Go cart front wheel/tires make good setups.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-6/1193082/DSC09559.JPG

volsung
12-07-2008, 04:56 PM
:) Thanks, nice Bikes

kiesta00
12-07-2008, 08:37 PM
DO NOT send your motor to FTZ for any work, I hear nothing but horror stories about them taking 8 months do a simple port job...get a TRX-5 pipe; it'll help you keep some bottom end torque for the launch, switch to alcohol, advance your ignition timing, get a rechambered dome for that cylinder. Change your gearing, and also get an override transmission...if all you do is drag racing then you'll fall in love with it and never go back.

If you want to change your carb, I'd switch it to methanol fuel using a 40mm lectron with a fuel pump setup from Dennis Packard...he's the lectron guru.

I'd send that cylinder to Neil for a drag portjob, you won't be dissapointed.