PDA

View Full Version : Wrapping the headers?

ti2ibal1
12-05-2008, 02:38 PM
Anyone have any experience using heat wrap on the header? With the oil tank and cooler being right there, I was thinking that wrapping the header would help reduce temps. A guy I ride with has it done to his YFZ, but I think he did it more for looks.

Any reason why not to do it?

NacsMXer
12-05-2008, 04:27 PM
One reason not to is it will trap/retain moisture and rot the header slowly over time. Also doesn't look the best IMO.

12-05-2008, 04:30 PM
when you wrap a header your supposed to spray it up with high temperature paint. I guarantee most didnt do that.

ti2ibal1
12-05-2008, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
when you wrap a header your supposed to spray it up with high temperature paint. I guarantee most didnt do that.

When the guy I know did his, he sandblasted it and then hit it with high temp paint before the wrap. If I was to do it, that is what I would do.

I've also heard mention of the wrap + moisture = rotting issue. That would be my biggest fear of doing it.

12-05-2008, 04:38 PM
thats what spraying it with the high temp paint it supossed to cure. It is intended to seal it.

bama racer
12-06-2008, 09:10 AM
If it's a aftermarket header it will not rot! They are made of 304 stainless steal. If it's the stock header, start the bike up after you wash it and let it get warm to dry the wrap.

mooseracerX
12-06-2008, 10:09 AM
^^^ That's what I do plus I have an aftermarket header.
I've read that the stuff you spray it with is actually silicone spray of some sort.
http://www.designengineering.com/products.asp?m=sc&cid=3
http://www.designengineering.com/products.asp?m=sp&pid=13

bbender85
12-08-2008, 10:15 AM
i did mine, only because someone gave me a roll of wrap for free. i touch it up with hi temp paint occasionally.

i don't understand the rotting issue tho; any moisture is burned out when the bike is running. maybe if you got it wet and let it sit for a year or two i guess.

trx400EXtreme
12-08-2008, 12:20 PM
i think it has something to do with keeping the heat in so it flows faster or something. i did mine and i did notice my leg doesnt get as hot. heres how it turned out.

400exrider707
12-08-2008, 01:05 PM
The header will eventually rot, and that includes the stainless headers. Trust me. I've seen the Curtis sparks exhaust first hand rot from this.

The idea behind wrapping the exhaust, other than not burning your leg is that it helps to hold heat in the exhaust and the heat helps expel burnt gasses faster, thus higher flowing. The flow is so minimal most will never notice it. The only benefit to your average rider is not burning you leg with big headpipes.