PDA

View Full Version : 450r suspension upgrade

hondarider703
12-05-2008, 01:04 PM
so i have a 2007 honda 450r and i was wondering if you guys could give me the down low on a good suspension upgrage for track, im new to the racing and i was wondering if you guys could through some specs in there also such as a-arms, shocks and axle. thanks!

trailrider894
12-05-2008, 03:09 PM
not sure what you meant by specs but??? well i know that elka is good. but if you have the money i would say axis!! your stock will do you fine for a long time though. i race with 450r's on my 400ex and have never needed much more. everyone will give you a different answer to this question. but check out gtthunders conversion kit for the 450r shocks they are pretty good. as far as far as the axle for small time stuff g-force make a good axle for under 200. but check out the durablue elminator it is adjustable i think it is a +2-+4. i could be wrong. i can't much help with the a-arm deal. i know houser and laeger make good ones. the houser slicasts i would stay away from they can't keep a camber adjusted for long before they start getting messed up. i'm just small help only know what i know from reading magazines and from freinds quads but my advice is good. best of luck on your hunt!!

coryatver
12-05-2008, 03:33 PM
you don't need an axle the stock one is good. You don't have to have a-arms either unless you are going to get really into racing competitively they make turning easier and take away some bump steer but unless you are really good you probley won't know the difference you will also need new wheels with arms to offset it back to stock width. Stock rebuilds are the best deal but most importantly get a rear linkage!

hondarider703
12-05-2008, 03:47 PM
thanks for all that info. i didnt know if i would need longer a-arms if i upgraded my suspension.

rob_990
12-05-2008, 03:56 PM
it depends what kind of shocks you get

trailrider894
12-05-2008, 09:11 PM
um not sure why you wan to return the quad back to a stock width with the offset wheels if the whole point is to widen with a-arms?? sounds kinda dumb to me.

86250rrider
12-15-2008, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by trailrider894
um not sure why you wan to return the quad back to a stock width with the offset wheels if the whole point is to widen with a-arms?? sounds kinda dumb to me.

haha ......better handling my friend ! i ride woods and do some woods racing and i run +1 arms and 4/1 wheels = stock width with much improved handling. dont think just wider means better handling. wheel spacers only add unwanted bump steer in the front.i get a kick out of guys that are 50" wide with horrible bump steer with flipped front wheels !!!! you just look at the bars and they twitch !! haha good luck

BlaineKaiser450
12-15-2008, 07:08 PM
Motowoz/SMC is the best deal for the money. Motowoz front and rear shocks, SMC +3 a arms, 4:1 rims, RPM axle, stock 06 swingarm, LSR link oooooooooohhhh yeahhh

BlaineKaiser450
12-15-2008, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by 86250rrider
haha ......better handling my friend ! i ride woods and do some woods racing and i run +1 arms and 4/1 wheels = stock width with much improved handling. dont think just wider means better handling. wheel spacers only add unwanted bump steer in the front.i get a kick out of guys that are 50" wide with horrible bump steer with flipped front wheels !!!! you just look at the bars and they twitch !! haha good luck they dont add bump steer, just more feedback through the bars

12-15-2008, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by BlaineKaiser450
they dont add bump steer, just more feedback through the bars

stabilizer could fix that

86250rrider
12-16-2008, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
stabilizer could fix that

it would help,but the steering effort would increase as the stabilizer would have to be at a drag at all times. a-arms and an axle are the way to go...period.there are no cheap,easy ways out without consequences. my arms were bought new for 225 on e-bay and my axle was almost new for 225 also. they are a better investment than a pipe for sure. spend your money wisely and you will be further ahead. on the trails and in the pocketbook !:D