PDA

View Full Version : Outlaw CV's and boots

john92223
12-04-2008, 09:39 PM
I have gotten alot of great info off of here and been through most of the threads but seems no one is having the same problem I am. I have an 06 Outlaw and can't seem to keep the CV's and boots from tearing and breaking. Had it at the dealer 4 times to replace the boots. The last time they replaced the whole rear assembly. Now it's back at the dealer after the first trip on all new parts with another torn boot. Any info would be helpful.

scuzz
12-08-2008, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by john92223
I have gotten alot of great info off of here and been through most of the threads but seems no one is having the same problem I am. I have an 06 Outlaw and can't seem to keep the CV's and boots from tearing and breaking. Had it at the dealer 4 times to replace the boots. The last time they replaced the whole rear assembly. Now it's back at the dealer after the first trip on all new parts with another torn boot. Any info would be helpful.

Sounds like an issue with their product. I'm not trolling, but you should consider the 700xx.

Havasu Outlaw
12-08-2008, 09:03 PM
Call EPI or look them up on the computer. Their boots are $17.95 each, not $71.00 each from Polaris. They are thicker and are working great for me. Buy some spares at EPI's price they are affordable.

lrstead
12-10-2008, 07:38 PM
I'm having the same problem with my 06 Outlaw. The inner boots are all tore up.
The problem I'm having is trying to get the outer CV joint off. The manual shows a snap ring in the indent in the bearings. Mine doesn't have the indent like the picture in the manual, soooo, I can't see how there could be a snap ring. How the hell does the outer CV joint come off?
Oh, I googled the EPI and can't find inner boots for the Outlaw.

Now you got me scared that this is going to be an ongoing problem:grr:

Havasu Outlaw
12-10-2008, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by lrstead
The problem I'm having is trying to get the outer CV joint off. The manual shows a snap ring in the indent in the bearings. Mine doesn't have the indent like the picture in the manual, soooo, I can't see how there could be a snap ring. How the hell does the outer CV joint come off?

All you have to do is undo all the cv clamps on the inner and outer boots of the axel you are trying to replace the torn boot on and move the boots out of the way. Yank on the spindle next to the outer cv. Yank hard and it will pull loose and expose the splines. You'll see a little c clip on the axel in a groove that was holding it all together. Just jerk on it and it will pull apart. Then slid the boots off and put the new one on and reassemble.

EPI's phone # is 218-829-6036. The part # is 130009 (inner cv boot for 2006-2007 Polaris IRS Outlaw). It comes with cv grease, cv boot clamps, and that little c clip on the axel spline.

It's easy once you do one. For me putting the cv boot clamps on is the most time consuming.

Lance

lrstead
12-10-2008, 11:50 PM
Thanks a lot for the info.

john92223
12-11-2008, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by Havasu Outlaw
Call EPI or look them up on the computer. Their boots are $17.95 each, not $71.00 each from Polaris. They are thicker and are working great for me. Buy some spares at EPI's price they are affordable.

I appreciate the info. I don't know if you have the Boot clamp tool, but Erlandson Performance,Inc. has 2 or 3 different styles.

john92223
12-11-2008, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by lrstead

It has been an on going problem for me. At least the dealer is still fixing it and it's not costing me. It did however cost me $400.00 and the extended warranty picked up the other $750.00 when they had to replace the whole back end. Best of luck to you and thanks for responding to my post.