PDA

View Full Version : football field to hospital

honda4life72
12-04-2008, 08:37 PM
ok well to start off.. i have dislocated my left shoulder 9 times in the last two months playing football. the first dislocation was the third game of the year . and i had atleast one dislocation once a game and i would have someone stand in front of me while i popped it back in to continue playing. i start call side defensive end as a junior at 6'1 205 pounds for my school. and football is all i got to get me into college and have already had two divison one schools approach me. but today i found out that i have torn ligaments and broke 3 peices of my bone off that is now floating around in my shoulder joint causeing me to not be able to rotate my arm above my head without severe pain. i will be out for atleast 4 months. so how im figuring i bench 335 right now and wont be able to do close to that after the surgery. and i'm hoping the surgery doesnt take away alot of my strenth because thats really important to me being i am not that big at my postion and my strength and speed is all i got. so has anyone done anything simular to this and can give me a heads up on wat to look for or anything????

Bradracer18
12-05-2008, 07:17 AM
Who cares what you bench! Are you doing some shoulder exercises/lifts? I am in therapy now and have been for some time...and I do a lot of shoulder exercises. You can probably find them online...but things like internal/external rotation.

Laying stomach down on a bench...arms hanging to floor...do a T. Do a Y. Do a "lawnmower pull". and do a straight back so arm becomes even with body(hand near thigh).

Doesn't matter how strong you are, if you dont work all of the muscles(like these little ones that hold your shoulder in place and your scapula to your rib cage)...then your strength is no good because your smaller muscles can't support it.

Keep up the work and it will be fine. In the mean time....you might try taping that shoulder so it can't come out of place. Might also try talking to an experienced physical therapist.

ridered11
12-05-2008, 07:56 AM
get a brace, it will prevent your arm from coming out of the socket continuously which is how you are causing all that damage.

ALAMX37
12-05-2008, 08:03 AM
Well if the ligament damage you are referring too is your labrum, I have to have both sides anchored after tearing.
My right was due to football, I didnt let it heal all the way and tore it the same day I got release bc I didn't listen to my dr. So I got to have the right side surgery twice. It sucks huge balls. You will lose a ton of strength. I had to stay in a sling six weeks before starting rehab which took another 2 months before I could lift again. My only advice is take it slow and follow the doctors orders. You dont want this problem to get bigger with time.

soonerdude77
12-05-2008, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by Bradracer18
Doesn't matter how strong you are, if you dont work all of the muscles(like these little ones that hold your shoulder in place and your scapula to your rib cage)...then your strength is no good because your smaller muscles can't support it.

I'll second that. My senior year I was benching 350 but had a problem with my shoulder's being "loose" in the socket. It would (and still does) happen at random times, If I moved wrong it would kind of jump out and right back into the socket and it hurt like hell. I was already going to pt for my knee so we checked that out as well and they told me that my chest muscles were built but my other shoulder muscles didn't get the same kind of treatment so my shoulders were kind of pulled forward in the socket.

But now that I've been out for a few years I've gotten lazy and I'm just weak all around.

79400ex
12-05-2008, 10:40 AM
your injury is a coman problem if football. Get the surgey done now and you will be reasy for next football season.

300extreme#8
12-05-2008, 11:34 AM
I have had many surgeries and I've had my collarbone broken twice and had a 4 inch plate in my shoulder. I will be the first one to tell you. It really takes patience when it comes to healing. Listen to your doctor don't be ignorant and go back to working to soon bc it will hurt you more in the long run. This stuff you must take step by step. And if you love it you will come back really eaqger to do even better. I broke my arm and my hand afew weeks before my senior year seqson so there went my starting free saftey and go to wide reciever. All I could do was punt and when all the patience and motavation I stayed focused on the stuff I could do instead of worried bout the things I really wanted to do. Bc of that I was ranked in the year of 2006 with 46.4 yards per punt with 3 shanks. Had plenty of offers but didn't want to go to college. Man was that a dumb mistake

honda4life72
12-11-2008, 09:15 PM
well about a year ago i started doin all my shoulder/rototor lifting excerises because the same thing happend to my buddy. so i tryed to prevent it. my shoulders are deffently not weak. i can tell u that. but i get the surgery wensday so we will see how it goes . and yes i tore the lambrum. and a few tendens. and broke peices of bone off

honda4life72
12-11-2008, 09:17 PM
and yes we have been bracing it. we first put a 10 yard ace abanaged around my upper chest and shoulder. then tape it . brace it . then tape it again. and i could still knock it out. i wore the brace all year. .........

warriorxcr1
12-11-2008, 09:50 PM
i have a similar "ser-lux" type injury.....split the shoulder and tore some rotator cuff causing it to slip in and out at any point of resistance....screwed with my whole junior and senior year but i played throught the pop outs. sucked being on the line because i pride my line skills off of the bench for the seperation needed in the trenches. my advice is to get surgery immediatley so you are back for senior year healthy. the only crappy part is that most colleges take your junior year as the most important. If you can produce solid results at 6-1 205 at d end, i cant imagine that a college will not want you for outside or interior linebacker.

they do have a type of surgery with a plate that will limit your motion but make your shoulder strong, if not stronger than it ever was.

dont forget, strength will come easier as you get older. if you are out for a few months and can get 2-3 solid lift months in before camp you will still feel pretty good.

get the surgery....beef up quick via the correct eating and supplement induction with lifting...and do work senior year.