PDA

View Full Version : Stroker Question

SandGeek
12-04-2008, 08:36 PM
Currently I have a 440 (stock crank, 89mm piston). I roasted 2nd gear so I have to split the case to rebuild the tranny. If I were to go to a stroker crank, now would be the time...

The questions for those of you who have made this move:

Is a +4mm stroker going to give me $350 more joy out of my engine? Is it worth the money? I am guessing its not a lot for power but a good gain on torque?

Hoping to get some feedback

Thanks
sg

Wheelie
12-04-2008, 08:40 PM
A +4mm stroker gives very good power gains, worth every penny IMO. I got my setup through www.powroll.com, top notch company to deal with. Not the cheapest stroker to go with, but the quality of work was top notch and reliability hasn't been sacrificed. 3 years on it and still going strong. Despite what a lot of people say, a stroker can be made to rev. Mine pulls hard to the stock 9100rpm rev limiter. I had an aftermarket CDI on it for awhile, and it would pull hard to the 10k rev limit that it had.

SandGeek
12-04-2008, 08:57 PM
What makes Powroll worth nearly twice the price?

sg

NacsMXer
12-05-2008, 10:43 AM
It's absolutely worth it to go with the stroker. $350 is like nothing for a good kit, you gotta pay to play. And one area you don't want to cheap out is the motor internals. My GT Thunder kit was over a grand, I consider the Powroll kit extremely cheap in comparison, but still has excellent reliability. I would go with the Powroll kit.

odog
12-05-2008, 07:54 PM
i would know soon mine is in the shop right now i went with hotcam stage 3 and 460 kit i hopefully will be riding by christmas

Wheelie
12-05-2008, 09:34 PM
The powroll kit is hand crafted, not mass produced. I've read about issues with the Hotrods setup, poor bearing quality and poor fitament. As stated before, you got to pay to play. Crankshaft and con-rod quality are areas that cutting costs is a bad idea. My setup through powroll was just over $800. That included the crank work, HD con-rod and JE piston with the piston skirt machined to clear the crank throws.

bry14661
12-05-2008, 09:38 PM
do they make a +4 crank for stock bore or .20 over

Wheelie
12-05-2008, 09:40 PM
Through powroll, you can buy just the crank and have any piston modded to fit the crank. Essentially you can run a +4mm stroker with a stock or oversize piston.

bry14661
12-05-2008, 09:54 PM
what has to be done to the piston? wrist pin moved up?

78ta
12-05-2008, 09:57 PM
Through powroll, you can buy just the crank and have any piston modded to fit the crank. Essentially you can run a +4mm stroker with a stock or oversize piston

they also sell a 87mm piston for hot rods +4mm stroker cranks also,

the powroll +4mm crank uses a shorter rod so you can use a modded stock piston of any bore size. but the hot rod stroker crank uses a stock length rod so the piston has to have the pin moved up on the piston to compensate for the longer stroke.

powroll is the only place i have found that carries pistons other than the 89mm bore for the hot rods +4 stroker crank, but I talked to JE pistons and the will custom make you any bore size in any stroke combo you need in any compression you want but you have to 4 or more pistons!!!

sorry if thats confusing, I'm on a diet of cold meds right now

odog
12-06-2008, 12:38 PM
ya heard some bad things about the hotrod stroker kit and also hotcams but everyone who tells me the bad things never owned it before and when i hear good things about them its usually from people that actually owned the product. so i guess ill have my story to tell soon hahahahaha.

2muchquad
12-08-2008, 04:52 PM
My setup through powroll was just over $800. That included the crank work, HD con-rod and JE piston with the piston skirt machined to clear the crank throws.

theres one born every minute.....:)

cjtrx400ex
12-09-2008, 03:45 PM
Maybe a dumb question but does strokin it kill top end, which i don't really ever top out on trails but i just wanted to know. Thanks. Im kinda confused as what to get stroker or big bore. :confused: Im new to this.

NacsMXer
12-09-2008, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by cjtrx400ex
Maybe a dumb question but does strokin it kill top end, which i don't really ever top out on trails but i just wanted to know. Thanks. Im kinda confused as what to get stroker or big bore. :confused: Im new to this.

Doesn't kill top end power but it will slightly hamper the "rev-ability" of the motor vs. a motor with a shorter stroke. I have plenty of power all around with mine. Plus you can dial it into your riding style with the proper cam selection.