PDA

View Full Version : i want to learn how to start jumping

phs17
12-04-2008, 08:20 AM
any tips i should know.

trailrider894
12-04-2008, 09:02 PM
um the best advice is just go jump!!! start small and build up !! rules of thumb are. front end high?? clutch and then brake. front low?? gas it!!! don't let off the gas at the top of the ramp. hold steady till your in the air.

phs17
12-23-2008, 10:36 PM
what do u mean dont lrt off the gas

phs17
12-23-2008, 10:57 PM
and do u like pull back when u hit the ramp

trailrider894
12-24-2008, 10:49 AM
what i meant by don't let off the gas is that by holding a steady throttle till your rear tires have left the ground u will not have as much of a nose dive issue . you let off the gas the atv loses its mometum due to engine braking and the end result is catistrophic. if you are a pro then you may be able to use it to your advantage but not u or me. no i do not pull back unless i'm on a whoop section and i feel like i need my front higher to make the next whoop. and pre loading people may talk about pre-loading. i wouldn't pre load un less you need to cause it will cause your train of thought to go other places and possibly cause you to crash or forget to do things. hope that helps. also avoid gassing it really hard at the end of the take off cause this could cause you to lose traction and slid and cause you to go sideways in the air. :eek2:

phs17
12-24-2008, 04:00 PM
soeone told me to go at a steady speed then gun it at the ramp

phs17
12-27-2008, 12:13 AM
is this true?

trailrider894
12-27-2008, 09:10 AM
i guess you didn't read the whole other message.

phs17
01-04-2009, 12:50 AM
so other then that thats all i need to kno ?

trailrider894
01-04-2009, 08:02 AM
well yeah that is all i can think of if no one else is gonna hop on this thread. but just start small and work up if you feel like " i can't do this" then don't. eventually you will feel a little but more comfortable doing it. roll over the jump a couple times take it slow a couple times get out walk the jump look for little bumps and stuff if the track isn't well maintaned.

phs17
01-04-2009, 06:54 PM
alrite kool thanks man . im afraid im give it to much gas or not enough lol

trailrider894
01-04-2009, 08:04 PM
i plan on making a small time how to video of basic jumping stuff. i'll let you know when i have it up on the youtube.

yfzrider310
01-06-2009, 07:02 PM
I usually keep a steady throttle all the way up to the jump (bout half throttle) then towards the top give it about another quarter throttle to avoid front end drop. Don't just jam the throttle in cause that will get kinky fast. Just nice and easy just steadily increase rpm's toward the face of the jump. Works every time. I know what an endo crash is like so throw the front end high instead of low. Trust me on that. Just keep that front end up and you should be golden. I went from 30-70 ft jumps in a 1/2 year. Once you get it you get it. This year im planning on 90+. Its all about confidence. If your not confident in the jump your hitting then become confident and dont think about what could go wrong because thats the last thing you want to do.

DarkRider3
01-16-2009, 05:09 PM
what about body positioning on the bike. Being a novice this is tough. Should you distribute your weight more to the front or back.

trailrider894
01-17-2009, 12:07 PM
hmm i can't really help there idk?? i'm not a pro racer so i don't wanna give bad advice. um google it???

yfzrider310
01-17-2009, 01:04 PM
You should be crouching in the attack position. Have you torso centered over the quad and your head leaning forward looking up over the quad and ahead. As your jumping always look for the landing. When your in the air you will feel if your quad is off balance according to the landing. Adjust from that and keep going. It just comes naturally just try to go off what most people have said so far and youll do fine. Dont go out and hit a 60 ft jump cause a guy on a forum told you to but work from small to big. Its the best and only way.

IdahoMX
01-18-2009, 03:54 PM
If you have to ask, You shouldne be jumpin it. No Magic to it just practice. Most riders will freeze up if somthing goes wrong. Start small and ride a lot.

phs17
01-19-2009, 05:31 PM
alrite guys thanks

02-17-2009, 01:43 PM
i rolled onto the track for the first time 2 years ago. i would go once or twice a month during the riding season. I rolled most jumps but would hit the tabletops. Then my stock honda 450r got stolen and before spring started i had a ltr450 with a fmf pipe on it. The best thing i did was find a few friends who rode and the next thing you know, i'm clearing the jumps i rolled last year.
Friends and a bike that gives you balls. i felt my honda was under powered and didnt feel right on it. but the ltr fits me great and the power is awesome, not to mention the wide stance and such. SO, if you want to jump? get a quad you like and feel right on, then get some friends together and hit the track. start small and use each other as motavion. use phrases like " why you got to be a puss about it" stop being a douche and just hit it like that tabletop you just cleared" " wow, check out that hot chick, good thing you guys wont clear the jumps cause your are making look good" " you liked getting roosted by the kids on 80cc dirtbikes"
everyone says it just comes to them, they feel it. i lauched up a 80 ft step up jump. totally worth the rush but it scared the crap out of me. that fear is why i hit that jump pinned in 4th. learn to love the fear and use it. the fear is what you have to get comfortable with.