PDA

View Full Version : Exaughst wrap myth

norton
12-03-2008, 11:05 PM
I got this 450r and i started looking at exaughst wrap for my hrc hearder pipe and motosport.com tells me that this will cool the engine and increase. I reads into it and realized what heat is the exaughst building up? its not like a car with more than one cylinder and headers so how would this have any effect on a quad? And if you tried this please give input

CR500rider
12-03-2008, 11:56 PM
i could be wrong but i dont think header wrap will serve any purpose on a quad except to keep from burning your leg. I do know that header wrap will ruin the header over time.

hypersnyper6947
12-04-2008, 12:48 AM
Also headers are supposed to dissipate heat quickly, wrapping it slows this heat dissipation down. Its beneficial in a car b/c it lowers the under hood temp, so the air that is be sucked into the intake is cooler which is better. The only thing its good for on a quad is to keep the heat off your leg, but thats what boots are for.

400exrider707
12-04-2008, 01:36 PM
Header wrap does serve a couple purposes. One it keeps your leg from getting burnt yes.

Second and most importantly, is it keeps the header hotter. That's right it keeps the inside hotter, this helps to expel the spent gasses faster.

It DOES serve a purpose! It may be minimal, but it does work.

witech
12-04-2008, 01:46 PM
It is true about keeping the heat in the pipe . Mostly for steel headpipes. If your headpipe is stainless or Titanium they have a much lower disapation rate and wraping doesnt really do much.
Dont expect to gain any power from doing it. And if you do do it to a steel headpipe it will rot it out quickly.

400exrider707
12-04-2008, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by witech
It is true about keeping the heat in the pipe . Mostly for steel headpipes. If your headpipe is stainless or Titanium they have a much lower disapation rate and wraping doesnt really do much.
Dont expect to gain any power from doing it. And if you do do it to a steel headpipe it will rot it out quickly.

It's been known to rot the sparks pipes which are stainless or somtimes even cerma-chrome.

Really the only real world benefit I see is to prevent burning your legs.

chad502ex
12-05-2008, 07:20 AM
a major difference between 04/05 to 06 450r's is high exhaust gas velocity...

Sjorge450R
12-05-2008, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by chad502ex
a major difference between 04/05 to 06 450r's is high exhaust gas velocity...

what do you mean by this chad?