PDA

View Full Version : Snorkle Block Off.

Sparks425Ex
12-15-2002, 04:32 PM
I wasn;t really sure which forum to put this in but o well it is here now.

I see that Nacs offers a snorkle block off. What are the benifits and drawbakcs of this?

Would this be good if I race MX. and have a cut airbox?

SmokinJoe@PJR
12-15-2002, 06:56 PM
GOOD; It gets rid of a good threat of water entering.
BAD ; You have to open the airbox lid to get enough air in to let it run.
Our box eliminates the inlet and has a lid design to let in plenty of air as well as seperate the water and air....Check it out when the test is done on through exriders

RiPPiNiTuP7
12-15-2002, 07:02 PM
I like it, makes things simplier...ya gotta do some air lid mods to run it though...

Wingnut
12-15-2002, 09:00 PM
I blocked mine off with a lid form one of my cans of chain lubercant. It's not as pretty as the Nac's, but you don't really see it anyway.

yellow_ho_01
12-16-2002, 07:19 AM
why would someone spend any money on a "snorkel block off" when you can use a black cover off a can of spray paint and have the same effect, except for having "NACs" on it..... just doesnt make sence to me... but if you like wasting money,... (spray can cap fits pefect on the same hole, and wont cost anything if you have one sitting around)

DantheEXman
12-16-2002, 08:35 AM
isnt the snorkle higher than the airbox lid? if so.. wouldent you just be defeating your purpose by making the intake lower? :huh

RiPPiNiTuP7
12-16-2002, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by yellow_ho_01
why would someone spend any money on a "snorkel block off" when you can use a black cover off a can of spray paint and have the same effect, except for having "NACs" on it..... just doesnt make sence to me... but if you like wasting money,... (spray can cap fits pefect on the same hole, and wont cost anything if you have one sitting around)

No offense, but I'm not sticking no paint can lid on my quad, I don't mind spending the $10 bucks on something nicer :rolleyes:

Steve-o 400EX
12-16-2002, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by RiPPiNiTuP7

No offense, but I'm not sticking no paint can lid on my quad, I don't mind spending the $10 bucks on something nicer :rolleyes:

I agree, I like everything to be perfect.:cool:

yellow_ho_01
12-16-2002, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by RiPPiNiTuP7

nicer.... sorry... but last time i looked at anyones quad,.. i was not looking to see if it had a solid black can lid, or a black can lid with "nacs" painted on it to block the snorkel off.if you want something like that,.. then ILL take a paint can cap,... paint on it the words "nacs racing" and ill only charge you $8,.... .. ill even make is in other colors.

ChadEXer
12-16-2002, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by DantheEXman
isnt the snorkle higher than the airbox lid? if so.. wouldent you just be defeating your purpose by making the intake lower? :huh
Im trying hard to understand what he means:confused:

yellow_ho_01
12-16-2002, 10:32 AM
he's talking about the end of the snorkel being higher, not where it goes into the airbox... but if you are in water that deep you shouldnt be riding a SPORT quad anyways. I dont run an airbox lid at all,.. so the only thing the snorkel is doing for me is sucking in the warmer air from right above the engine., good on colder days...

RiPPiNiTuP7
12-16-2002, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by yellow_ho_01

nicer.... sorry... but last time i looked at anyones quad,.. i was not looking to see if it had a solid black can lid, or a black can lid with "nacs" painted on it to block the snorkel off.if you want something like that,.. then ILL take a paint can cap,... paint on it the words "nacs racing" and ill only charge you $8,.... .. ill even make is in other colors.

:rolleyes: You go ahead and stick with your cheap paint can lid, I'm happy with my Nac's Snorkle Block Off :cool:

redrizza
12-16-2002, 10:45 AM
OK, back to the point...... If you jump BIG don't get it. The snorkle actually supports some of the weight of the airbox, so if you jump big you'll bust your airbox.. I put that nacs blockoff plate on, and started breaking airbox mount tabs all the time. I went through 3 airboxes before I put the snorkle back on. Once the snorkle was back on, the airboxes stoped breaking. Hope you can learn from my mistake and don't bother with it.

RideRed04
12-16-2002, 11:05 AM
The nac's is machined aluminum, I believe. If you want to talk racing, the paint can lid is lighter..hehehe. I'll keep my snorkle on so I can still run a lid when it is wet out. I usually just put my lid on with the 2 front clips sliped under the lid so there is a gap there.

Sparks425Ex
12-16-2002, 03:40 PM
Well I have a block off i got from my grandparents for christmas. So I am gonna use it.

But do I have to run with the lid off or can i just run it with 3 one inch holes in it. That is what it has now.

Or do I have to make more holes. I would rather not run no air box lid but I will do what I have to do.

smith
12-17-2002, 07:41 AM
Another simple solution.....get a piece of pantyhose from your wife/girlfriend/mom/sister/cross-dressing brother/whoever and use the hose clamp and put that over the opening. It allows air to enter the airbox yet and also lets you run a full or partial lid if you want and keeps mud and most all of the water out. simple, cheap, very effective (and you can get many colors too if you want to be really fancy about it!)

MOUSE
12-17-2002, 09:10 AM
put a black paint can lid in there last night. looks like downtown :cool: make it flush and it looks like a factory piece.