PDA

View Full Version : wiring issue (I think)

ARMY_rider
12-03-2008, 07:40 PM
Ok so I keep having issues with my R not running to its potential. It will fire right up and idle with no problem. But when I'm riding and I hit the throttle it cuts out BIG TIME. Also, it will backfire every so often. It did not do this the first few times I rode it and the only reason I believe it's the wiring is because I have found some crappy work. I keep thinking I've found everything but the problem is still there. Please advise!!!

the Z Man
12-03-2008, 07:42 PM
Bad gas, dirty air filter, jetting?

ARMY_rider
12-03-2008, 07:47 PM
I've checked the jets and it has fresh gas in it. I have not cleaned the air filter, but it looks clean.

Dave83
12-03-2008, 08:52 PM
Check all of the electrical components per the manual(might find the ohm readings in the sticky at top of page).Your symptoms point to many things,some that have been mentioned.the most suspect to me would be the coil or stator.

ESR350r
12-03-2008, 09:02 PM
Most of the time an electrical component is all or nothing.

1. Check your key on your fly wheel. If it is off just a bit it might idle but will not rev like it should.

2. check your ground

3. try another plug

4. try gapping your plug down

5. possibly the reeds

just a few things to try.

the Z Man
12-03-2008, 09:06 PM
Good one on the reeds, I forgot about that...lol Its hard remembering the 2 stroke thought, its been awhile.
Could be an air leak too....

Aceman
12-04-2008, 09:48 PM
Plug chop wouldn't hurt too.

wilkin250r
12-05-2008, 02:31 AM
It doesn't sound electrical.

I've seen some CDIs give intermittent spark, one day it will fire and run fine, the next day it won't. But even though it was on and off, whenever it was working it WORKED all the way.

Like ESR350r said, most often an electrical issue is all or nothing. I don't think I've ever seen a CDI or coil work at idle, but not work at high RPM.

XXX -rider
12-06-2008, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by ARMY_rider
Ok so I keep having issues with my R not running to its potential. It will fire right up and idle with no problem. But when I'm riding and I hit the throttle it cuts out BIG TIME. Also, it will backfire every so often. It did not do this the first few times I rode it and the only reason I believe it's the wiring is because I have found some crappy work. I keep thinking I've found everything but the problem is still there. Please advise!!!
petcock /screen partially clogged with dirt ? check it out ...description fits ..

Master LTR450
12-06-2008, 12:25 PM
i have a brand new harness if your interested. i know its probably not your problem but your saying your is hurting so i figured i would just throw it out there for you.

dunatic
12-07-2008, 12:53 AM
first things first.

check all your wiring. I mean check it well.

Stop by Napa and get some electrical grease (Dialectric - sp ?) Put some on every electrical connection starting with the stator. dont skip any connection. These bikes are very old and corrosion happens over 20 years.

If your running a factory kill-combo switch, disconnect it for now.

Then, gap your stator pick up to .018". These bikes have very weak signal strength, so anything bigger than .020" will have an effect.

Then remove the spark plug boot and cut off about 1/4 of the coil wire and re-install the boot. Make sure that snap clamp inside the boot is not to worn, pinch it a lil with a pair of pliers so that it fits tight on the spark plug.

Replace the spark plug with a resistor type (BR8ES....the "R" is the important part), gap it to .018" as well. Honda develop more power and a hotter spark with a Resistor plug.

If you have powder coated or painted your frame, you might need to run an external ground wire. Stop by your local stereo store have em make you a 10" long 4 gauge ground strap. Install it from a head nut to a frame boss under the tank somewhere out of the way, make sure the metal is bare where you are bolting it to the frame.

let us know it turns out.