PDA

View Full Version : r-tapping

justin1022
12-03-2008, 06:11 PM
hey just wondreing if anyone knows what the tap is called i would need to re-tap a oil filter covercap. the real long one needs retapping. thanks. and also i got the short one broken inside of the case-ing anyone got a idea on how to get it out?

bjg696
12-04-2008, 06:50 AM
Well you can tap them a 1/4-20 tap and put a 1/4 inch bolt in it. I had to do it on a few bolts on mine. And to get the one out thats broke off, its a pain, but try a reverse drill bit, or a an easy out. That should do the trick..

justin1022
12-04-2008, 07:00 AM
ok thanks i was going to try a easy out but i nthe shop we dont have any that small! ill have to try the drill bit idea. o and another question do i really have to pull the side casing to re-tap that long one?

bjg696
12-04-2008, 01:04 PM
Yes, especially on the long one that is stripped you are going to have to take the cover off. Is it the Clutch cover or the starter, etc. cover?

justin1022
12-04-2008, 05:56 PM
ok. its the clutch side i just finaged putting it back together and dont really wanna pull it apart luckily its winter this is gona be a long long winter project.:cool: ill buy the taps and such next week though ha.

12-04-2008, 06:09 PM
dang this is the 3rd one i've seen in the past 2 weeks! i've snapped the long one myself. yours the long sides' threads in the engine is stripped? to get the other one out if there is an edge try and use a screw driver and push while trying to turn it, sometimes there a small piece to hook up on. use a lot of spray penetrating oil and such. if that doesnt work ou can buy reverse drill bits and sometimes a regular drill will catch and you can reverse it out enough to grab with pliers or something to turn out. after i snapped 2 long bolts on my quad luckily the one was oiled so it came out with ease but the other took so many hours of trying to get it out i now grease all my bolts before they go in and tighten everything by hand with a wrench rather than a socket wrench or torque wrench. you can get a much better feel for the bolt when using a regular hand wrench

bjg696
12-04-2008, 06:23 PM
No need in torqing them, b/c they call for 7 ft/lbs, but just barley snug them and keave tem alone. i have stripped 5 or 6 of them, and now i just barley tighten them, and ket em go, havent had a prob yet.

motoboy66
12-04-2008, 06:30 PM
If your going to pull the side case, then you might as well put in a heli-coil. I have never stripped one, but always use a torque wrench. Be carefull using an easy-out and heli-coil it. Then if you ever sell it, it has the correct bolt in it. This is one of my biggest peeves in the world, different, SAE bolts, on a metric quad.

12-04-2008, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by motoboy66
If your going to pull the side case, then you might as well put in a heli-coil. I have never stripped one, but always use a torque wrench. Be carefull using an easy-out and heli-coil it. Then if you ever sell it, it has the correct bolt in it. This is one of my biggest peeves in the world, different, SAE bolts, on a metric quad.

lol i've seen some crazy bolts to replace the long one stripped for th oil filter cover. some allen key, one 400ex looked like it had a concrete screw lol