PDA

View Full Version : hard start hot and cold

rdstoner
12-03-2008, 01:03 PM
I am having problems with my 03 not wanting to run let alone start when it is cold i kinda understand that they are cold blooded but i can get done rippin it up and come to it in like two min. and it wont want to start. so does this mean i need a new spark plug i have cleaned it and it still does the same thing. my buddy said he thinks i should get a spark inhancer or somthing along those lines. and i was wonering if any of you knew of something else that could be wrong.

Brauap
12-03-2008, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by rdstoner
I am having problems with my 03 not wanting to run let alone start when it is cold i kinda understand that they are cold blooded but i can get done rippin it up and come to it in like two min. and it wont want to start. so does this mean i need a new spark plug i have cleaned it and it still does the same thing. my buddy said he thinks i should get a spark inhancer or somthing along those lines. and i was wonering if any of you knew of something else that could be wrong.

Mine had/has that problem.. just put the battery charger on it when your done riding, and use some starting fluid too.. choke on, and maybe a few pumps of the throttle. good-luck!

PS a new spark plug can't hurt..

katch26
12-03-2008, 01:52 PM
alot of times on these things its the intake valve clearance that are to blame. Check your valve lash and see if it is in spec or not

hoogiesngrinder
12-03-2008, 01:52 PM
I wouldn't worry about a spark enhancer. Try these first:

1. Change your plug - $3
2. Change your jets if you haven't already - start with a 40 pilot and 152 main - $10
3. Check valve lash - free

If no change I would next check the compression and replace the timing chain.

adawg89
12-03-2008, 02:10 PM
stick a engine warmer on/in it or get some cgarcoal but it in a metal dish or something light them up and let them get heated up then knock the fire it so the cola is just hot then slide it under the engine and let it warm up. Try putting most of your weight to the very back of the 4 wheeler. For some reason I have to sit on the very back of my 4 wheeler for it to start.

tri5ron
12-03-2008, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by adawg89
stick a engine warmer on/in it or get some cgarcoal but it in a metal dish or something light them up and let them get heated up then knock the fire it so the cola is just hot then slide it under the engine and let it warm up. Try putting most of your weight to the very back of the 4 wheeler. For some reason I have to sit on the very back of my 4 wheeler for it to start.

UuummmMM,...
You,... ARE kidding..... RIGHT ? ? ? ? ?

ti2ibal1
12-03-2008, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by adawg89

Sounds like a Voodoo spell!

I'd check the valve lash on the intake side. Mine were a little tight once and I played hell getting it to start.

Throw a new plug in it, also. It can't hurt.

adawg89
12-03-2008, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by tri5ron
UuummmMM,...
You,... ARE kidding..... RIGHT ? ? ? ? ?

On what? if you mean the coal no don't put it under the 4 wheeler when its still on fire lol :blah: kill the fire so the coal is hot but not on fire. I stick a space heat next to my engine to warm it up.

rdstoner
12-03-2008, 07:02 PM
well i know one of my friends put a new rectifire on and it seemed to work on his but i didnt know if that would help mine. i also use my choke when it is cold but it still wont start. what i was confused about was the hard start when it was already warm. also how hard is it to check valve the valves? kinda new to the quads but i dont how much diffrent it is from a car.

adawg89
12-03-2008, 09:19 PM
well i know one of my friends put a new rectifire on and it seemed to work on his but i didnt know if that would help mine. i also use my choke when it is cold but it still wont start. what i was confused about was the hard start when it was already warm. also how hard is it to check valve the valves? kinda new to the quads but i dont how much diffrent it is from a car.

I just bought my quad a month ago and the valves should be much different than a car just small version. What I usually do on cold start is have choke closed and sit on the very back of the quad then try to start it. For some reason like I said before I have to do that for mine to start. If that doesn't work I would see if the carb is clean and check the air filter.

rdstoner
12-04-2008, 04:24 AM
air filter is like new. already cleaned the carb ill try and sit at the back of the quad and see what happens ill be going out and putting my new handlebars on and ill see if that works. if not ill check the valves and get a new plug.

katch26
12-04-2008, 06:47 AM
what i was confused about was the hard start when it was already warm.

valves stretch over time which makes it hard to start but will also stretch a little with heat closing the gap up even more......another reason to test them on a cold motor so that you dont end up with too large of a gap.

rdstoner
12-04-2008, 11:28 AM
i figured they would stretch with heat but i didnt think it would make that mutch of a diffrence.

katch26
12-04-2008, 11:40 AM
it wont be much of a difference but IF that is your problem they are tight to begin with and even another hair would be tightER and usually results in even harder starting.