PDA

View Full Version : Engine rebuilding...?

Brauap
12-03-2008, 12:36 PM
Wow! I just gave my local machanics shop a call and asked him (roughly) how much it would cost to re-ring my 400EX and his response was, "about $300!" :eek2:

So then I decided to give my local Honda dealer a call just for kicks and giggles, and there response was, "about $350!" :eek2: :eek2:

Then I decided to call another local dealership and asked them the same exact question, and their respose was, "right around $300!" :grr:

This leads to my question, how hard is it to just re-ring the 400EX? Mine started to smoke, and I was to get it all nice before I sell it, but I am not spending any 300 smakers on it!! :eek:

I was looking on eBay and I found a piston kit (stock bore) for $64.99 (link (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=180292658355) or item #: 180292658355) and I would just need to buy new gaskets and I got a new top end for $80ish + labor!

I really need some help here. Do you think I should do it? How hard it is? How much est. time do you think it would take if I took my time at it?

I really wish I could have it done by a professional but I just don't have that kinda money, esspecially with my rebuild right now... :ermm:

12-03-2008, 01:37 PM
Coming from the person who said he could easily maintain a 450r..

Re-ringing has to be about the easiest things you can do on a fourstroke.

Im not picking on you, but in all honesty if you don't know how to re-ring a 400ex you are not ready for a 450r.

Brauap
12-03-2008, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by DMC-4OOEX
Coming from the person who said he could easily maintain a 450r..

Re-ringing has to be about the easiest things you can do on a fourstroke.

Im not picking on you, but in all honesty if you don't know how to re-ring a 400ex you are not ready for a 450r.

Dude.. I know how to re-ring it.. I was just asking for opinions.. you are getting so f'ing annoying with that!! Quit! (Sorry for being a prick! :ermm: )

Shimming/adjusting is super easy! WTF are you keep baggin on be for getting a 450R?

12-03-2008, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Brauap
Dude.. I know how to re-ring it.. I was just asking for opinions.. you are getting so f'ing annoying with that!! Quit! (Sorry for being a prick! :ermm: )

Shimming/adjusting is super easy! WTF are you keep baggin on be for getting a 450R?

You didn't say you know how to do it. You were asking how hard is it and how long will it take.

Im not trying to be a prick dude, it's just the 450 is high maintaince and you will need to the replace the piston/rings after a lot of hard riding.

I just don't want you to do all this then end up having a ton of trouble with it.

All ill say at this point is if your motors out already, it won't take very long at all to re ring it. It's just a matter of pulling the head off/disconecting the timing chain then pulling the cylinder off.

But i wouldnt order anything till its torn down. My moped didnt run half bad till i looked at the piston, and it had ingraved streaks down the side of it, which im sure yours will have after sucking in all that dirt.

exrider272
12-03-2008, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Brauap

lol if u think shimming is easy.. then u should be good with the 400 lol...

gaskets arnt cheap there prob goin to be the most expensive.
rings are goin for around 40 ?
and if ur haven smoking problems then you should re place ur vavle seals too. witch they are pretty cheap.

Brauap
12-03-2008, 02:14 PM
Yea, I know DMC. Sorry, I kinda lost it.. again. haha

You always gotta learn somehow! I know how to re-ring and that.. I was just.. know what. I really don't know why I made this thread to tell you the honest truth!

Maybe to just BS, I dunno..? haha

I will probally order the piston(if needed), gaskets, seals, bearings, clips, ect. from the dealer.. it shouldn't be much more doe.

coryatver
12-03-2008, 03:00 PM
Don't just put a new piston and rings. You will at least need a hone if not going to the next bore. If not the new rings will probley last 1 ride and be shot again. My buddy just put new rings in and it was smoking again after a couple rides. and the guy above is right tear it down first to see what parts you need

hoogiesngrinder
12-03-2008, 03:07 PM
If you do end up doing it yourself make sure you set the ring gap (using the right tool!) and degree them properly. Buy parts AFTER tearing into it, it will probably save you time. Hone the cylinder if there are no signs of damage, this will help the rings set. Think about a new timing chain if it has never been changed.

Brauap
12-03-2008, 03:08 PM
That is what I am doing, but I HIGLY doubt it will need to be bored/honed.. it was @ 120 psi before I tore it down.. (not the engine)

But if it is, I will just get it honed.. I am NOT going to get it bored.. trying to make it stock stock stock!

hoogiesngrinder
12-03-2008, 03:12 PM
boring is a simple part of an engines life, kinda like guys and mid life crises. I don't understand why people have a stigma about it. Anyway, A hone is NEEDED when new ring are installed, the hone roughs up the cylinder wall so the rings have something to wear against.

Brauap
12-03-2008, 03:12 PM
Would I really need a new timing chain and need to hone it if I am just going to sell it?

Also coryatver, they all smoke at first after a rebuild.. like when you buy a brand new quad, its smokes intill the rings set..

right?

Ruby Soho
12-03-2008, 03:18 PM
honestly, are you dumb?

you HAVE to hone it when you do rings. you can put it back together but it will do no good. you can sometimes get by on low compression engines but thats about it.

a hone job is cheap, i know an engine builder who will do a quick hone for my cylinders for free, and if i didn't know him itd cost me maybe 20 bucks.. its extremely simple, and you can do it yourself if you have the tools.

if you want to sell it, it has to run good, if you dont build it good, it wont sell good.

Brauap
12-03-2008, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Ruby Soho
honestly, are you dumb?

you HAVE to hone it when you do rings. you can put it back together but it will do no good. you can sometimes get by on low compression engines but thats about it.

a hone job is cheap, i know an engine builder who will do a quick hone for my cylinders for free, and if i didn't know him itd cost me maybe 20 bucks.. its extremely simple, and you can do it yourself if you have the tools.

if you want to sell it, it has to run good, if you dont build it good, it wont sell good.

How much do you think the local dealership would price it at? Also how fast do you think I would be able to have it back by? (like how many days?)

hoogiesngrinder
12-03-2008, 03:26 PM
oil smoke should be very minimal at first start up, and non existent after shortly after. The oil seal consist of 3 rings, the compression seal has 2 rings.

And yes, you should build the motor the right way. Why? You will likely get more money when you sell it. And, if it fails on the person you sold it to shortly after...well, people do crazy things when they are wronged.

hoogiesngrinder
12-03-2008, 03:30 PM
If the shop isn't busy, drop it off and head down to Subway and sit down for a nice $5 foot long. You cylinder should be done before you even bit into that sub.

12-03-2008, 03:31 PM
I hone my own stuff all the time.

My dad has a bridgeport and a couple different honers (spring loaded, so you adjust how hard its pushing against the walls) at his machine shop I use.

You need to hone no matter what. Its not all expensive if you dont do it yourself.

Brauap
12-03-2008, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by hoogiesngrinder
If the shop isn't busy, drop it off and head down to Subway and sit down for a nice $5 foot long. You cylinder should be done before you even bit into that sub.

mmmm... I love subway! :macho haha

Thanks!

Also, how much do you guys think the dealer would give me for a nice, super clean, stock 400EX? I may just trade it.. I dunno..

Also, if it is close to my asking price when I go to sell it.. :ermm:

Brauap
12-03-2008, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by DMC-4OOEX
I hone my own stuff all the time.

My dad has a bridgeport and a couple different honers (spring loaded, so you adjust how hard its pushing against the walls) at his machine shop I use.

You need to hone no matter what. Its not all expensive if you dont do it yourself.

Yea, I think you guys pursuaded me.. :p

hoogiesngrinder
12-03-2008, 03:41 PM
Maybe $2,200??

I could tell you for sure in a month or so...there's a good chance I'll be working for the largest selling Honda dealership in the US, if not the world, helping to run used sales :cool:

Chattanooga, TN here I come!

sc400ex_rider
12-03-2008, 08:25 PM
here is what i did i went to autozone they have a free loan a tool program. i carried my cordless drill and a can of wd40. put down a $20 deposit and did it in the parking lot. drenched all with wd honed it for about 30 seconds just to break the glaze for the rings to seat went back in and got my money back pure and simple. you are supposed to use the ball type hones not the 3 fingered expanding type cause they can remove to much material so be carefull. also wash the cylinder out with hot soapy water to get all the little fileings and grit out or it could eat (gall or score) your piston/cylinder. good luck with the 450 LOL

R'Fanatic
12-04-2008, 01:15 AM
Awesome man, I go to GT, but my parents live like 23miles from Chattanooga. Lots of fun to be had down here, check out SEquads, if you haven't already. (end threadjack)

RaceinCircles
12-04-2008, 09:38 AM
Back to the re-ring...If your quad is smoking, then I would spec the cylinder to make sure you don't need a bore before I did anything at all. If it ends up that there is too much play then rings will do you no good whatsoever. Mine was nasty, it wound up having something like 5 or 7 thousandths clearance. Stock is around 2 I believe.