PDA

View Full Version : HMF/FMF Dobeck Settings

smo0oth1
12-03-2008, 11:38 AM
I recently called Dobeck for recommended settings on my XX with Header, Exhaust, Dobeck and Velocity filter. They told me to only raise Mode 2 and 3 one point each. I was thinking it would be higher.
How are you guys running your settings and the results.

Also on a side note both the HMF and FMF optimizer are made by Dobeck and use the map.

scuzz
12-03-2008, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by smo0oth1
I recently called Dobeck for recommended settings on my XX with Header, Exhaust, Dobeck and Velocity filter. They told me to only raise Mode 2 and 3 one point each. I was thinking it would be higher.
How are you guys running your settings and the results.

Also on a side note both the HMF and FMF optimizer are made by Dobeck and use the map.

Pardon my ignorance, but what fuel management tool are you using?

smo0oth1
12-03-2008, 01:39 PM
I currently have the HMF optimizer set on the stock settings. I mentioned the FMF because both are made by Dobek and use the same maps

Jurkie81
12-04-2008, 09:52 AM
I have HMF full exhaust, and I still cant get the thing to run right. I've called them twice, and they tell me to change one setting and it never helps. I also have the HMF optimizer.

smo0oth1
12-04-2008, 10:37 AM
HMF full exhaust? Are you referring to a muffler and midpipe or complete exhaust including header?

Jurkie81
12-04-2008, 01:03 PM
complete exhaust

smo0oth1
12-04-2008, 01:14 PM
Where did you purchase the header? how much?

Jurkie81
12-04-2008, 09:56 PM
I bought it on ebay, I think it was like 476 for the whole system. Than I bought the opitmizer for 260

smo0oth1
12-05-2008, 06:33 AM
So what are your settings? Did it not run correct with the stock Optimizer settings?

scuzz
12-05-2008, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by Jurkie81
I have HMF full exhaust, and I still cant get the thing to run right. I've called them twice, and they tell me to change one setting and it never helps. I also have the HMF optimizer.

That's my big fear. My first purchase [after my paddle tires] will be a good fuel programmer.

trailin'me
12-09-2008, 08:01 AM
i dunno why folks purchase the credit card sized thingy when you can get a time tested and proven time and time again power commander where you are not lmited to one brand of product but can tun it to your hearts desire. Shame on the retailers for duping people into buying these inferior products.

ya see ..when someone with a power commander decides to head to a dyno ... the computer on the dyno makes a complete map for that very machine with all the various equipments installed .... no matter the brand .. and presto ..perfect running order ... i dont see how some box with a plus/minus button does anything but well ..add or subtract ..but add or subtract what..and at what range or percentage...

anyway ... just my 2 cents.

Jurkie81
12-09-2008, 11:00 AM
I wanted to get a power commander, but when you buy it and no one has a map out for it, it makes it a more difficult dession to buy something you have to pay 350 bucks for the commander and than paying someone 350 bucks to dyno your quad.

scuzz
12-09-2008, 11:01 AM
^^^^^^

Good point.

trailin'me
12-09-2008, 12:59 PM
im not knocking your thing ... but i have a power commander ... had it waaay before they had maps for the 700xx ... had a power commander on my zx14 waaay before they had maps for it ... and the power commander already comes optimized for general additions for each application ..as dynotech knows most eople that buy this product after or during installation of equast/airbox/filter

eventually they have maps for it ... as for the price ...ive seen them for 269 to 300 depending on where you purchase them...

the lifetime of "free support" also includes calling dynotech real time with ANY issues you may have ... including MAP SUPPORT....

lastly... just because they dont have any maps on the site doesnt mean there isnt or are not maps around ...

one guy asked me since i posted about my power commander for a map .... i sent it to him guess where i got mine? I asked for help from dynatech ....

and is not 350 for a dyno read on a quad ..whomever is charging you that is raping you blind ... should be 75-150 ... and may even be free if you purchase the power commander from the place that has the dyno.

i dunno .. hours of headaches ... burnt spark plugs and backfiring seems like it would be worth the extra 125-200 to have a perfectly tuned machine that already was 6-7000.

CHIPPERBATES
12-09-2008, 06:11 PM
My 2 cents is- I purchased the power commander because the honda store i bought my XX at highly recommended it.I knew nothing about this thing at all, but with the help of dynojet and building and trying out maps of my own i was able to easily dial in a real good setting for my air filter and exhaust. Part of the fun for me was building these maps and trying them out.I believe i made the right choice in efi programmers, hope this helps everyone thinking of purchasing a power commander.

ps- i'm not a mechanic in the least, and i installed this thing myself in about 45 mins with no problems.

smo0oth1
12-10-2008, 08:31 AM
So if I purchase the PowerCommander I can get a map already made for my upgrades? I have a header, exhaust, & filter. I went ride for the first time with everything installed and noticed the backfire issue.

CHIPPERBATES
12-10-2008, 04:34 PM
they have a couple of maps now on power commanders website, i went with baffle out and air box lid off and stock air filter, and i have fmf factory 4.1 with power bomb header with quite core insert and i was to rich on that setting, i removed the quite core and in was right on, but you can always trim the power commander out while you are riding, to fine tune.If the bike feels like it is running hot add some fuel, also so i found when i was too rich it would backfire and the bike would shut off,also throttle response was alittle slow. When i got it right the throttle response was quick and crisp, but it was running lean at first.Engine felt like it was running hotter than normal, i added some percentage of fuel to the maps and it has been running better than ever.There is no dyno in my area for quads, if there was i would take it to the dyno.

smo0oth1
12-11-2008, 08:39 PM
I'm looking to sell my HMF optimizer for any reasonable price to get a PC. Anyoe interested? less than 6hrs of use

smo0oth1@yahoo.com

scuzz
12-12-2008, 06:55 AM
Where at in South La? I'm heading that way with my 700xx in a week...

New Orleans area then on to Picayune...

smo0oth1
12-12-2008, 01:17 PM
I live in Jennings near Lafayette.

smo0oth1
12-13-2008, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by trailin'me
im not knocking your thing ... but i have a power commander ... had it waaay before they had maps for the 700xx ... had a power commander on my zx14 waaay before they had maps for it ... and the power commander already comes optimized for general additions for each application ..as dynotech knows most eople that buy this product after or during installation of equast/airbox/filter

eventually they have maps for it ... as for the price ...ive seen them for 269 to 300 depending on where you purchase them...

the lifetime of "free support" also includes calling dynotech real time with ANY issues you may have ... including MAP SUPPORT....

lastly... just because they dont have any maps on the site doesnt mean there isnt or are not maps around ...

one guy asked me since i posted about my power commander for a map .... i sent it to him guess where i got mine? I asked for help from dynatech ....

and is not 350 for a dyno read on a quad ..whomever is charging you that is raping you blind ... should be 75-150 ... and may even be free if you purchase the power commander from the place that has the dyno.

i dunno .. hours of headaches ... burnt spark plugs and backfiring seems like it would be worth the extra 125-200 to have a perfectly tuned machine that already was 6-7000.

I just set up a dyno run for the 1rst week of January at the local Honda shop. They are the only one in the area with a dyno for 4 wheelers. They quoted me 250.00$