PDA

View Full Version : longer arms = more bump stear?

mcgusto
12-15-2002, 03:11 PM
Hey everybody, Hope all is well. I am doing my research on aftermarket arms for my 400(degrees)ex. I was talking to a dealer about JD +3 arms, and he said that the only difference between +2 and +3 is that the +3 would have more bump stear. I am trying to make my ride better, not worse. The only problem is, I am obsessed with the widest track width that I can achieve. I do not need a long travel setup, just something to race around with my friends with. I was wondering if anyone had any relational information to my question: will +3 a-arm give me more bump-stear? All knowledge is welcome.

THE QUAD GOD
12-15-2002, 04:16 PM
Hey Mcgusto, hows it goin.

What you are hearing is not true.
The longer the a-arm, the more you can eliminate bump steer, especialy since you say you do not want a lot of wheel travel.

With a longer a-arm, you a creating less a-arm pivot angle to achieve the same amount of wheel travel, therefore, less movement.

Keep in mind, there is no such thing as no bump steer, you will always have a little.

toby400ex
12-15-2002, 05:26 PM
if you arent doing serious racing you dont need plus 3 a-arms, especially if you plan on ever going on any good trails. And you would need some sweet shocks to make it worth it..

Derek
12-15-2002, 05:37 PM
if your just buzzing the trails then stick with stock length or maybe plus 1

400exRacerX
12-15-2002, 06:34 PM
Yeah thats not true, the only way you gain bumpsteer by increasing the width of your quad is by messing with the offsets of the wheels.

mcgusto
12-16-2002, 05:34 PM
well, I will not be racing, except w/ my friends on my own track. But will plus three really be too big? I am really interested in making my quad very stable, but if +2 will be enough, well I might consider +2 instead. What do you guys think? Any testimony from similar situations?

MOUSE
12-17-2002, 09:38 AM
well i can say that i got a diff offset to make mine wider in the front and i wish i had just got wider arms to start with. bump is not that bad but now if i go with wider arms i will have to buy another set of rims with the stock offset or i will be to wide and put a lot more stress on the spindles.

also im considering either going with a long travel setup or just going with plus 2 and elka triples.

so many decisions so little money :(