PDA

View Full Version : --YFZ450 vs TRX450R--XC--

Brauap
12-03-2008, 09:45 AM
I am wondering which is best for XC and why? I can't seem to make up my mind, but I mean leaning towards a 450R.. 04-05.. and opinions?

Flynbryan19
12-03-2008, 12:51 PM
The 04-05' appears to be the best years for the 450r...... The have the most desireable front end geometry and do not share the tranny failures that seem to be an issue on the 06 and up. Although the 06 and up are supposed to be stronger/faster motors stock.

If I had the option I'd buy a good condition 04-05' model over the 06' and up models.

nicker71
12-03-2008, 03:49 PM
Hondas are a little more popular here in Missouri. I ride a yamaha but here is what I hear about both from my experience.

450R
The 06+ rear swinger is better becasuse its longer.
Front end better on the 04-05, I think spindles are different.
everyone I know with the 04-05 has needed a new crank.
Frames are weak and will break very early, doesnt matter what year.

YFZ
04-06 crank failures, 4 years on mine still stock. simple fix with the oil mod or oil upgrade. Yamahas have more electrical problems than honda. THe rear end on the yfz is better but the front isnt. Frames are stronger than the honda, but the subframes tend to crack.

If I were you I would get a 07+ YFZ. They have worked out all the bugs. But still put a kicker on it for back up.

either way I dont think you can go wrong, But I would look for the newest lowest hour one as possible.

just my .02

Brauap
12-03-2008, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Flynbryan19
The 04-05' appears to be the best years for the 450r...... The have the most desireable front end geometry and do not share the tranny failures that seem to be an issue on the 06 and up. Although the 06 and up are supposed to be stronger/faster motors stock.

If I had the option I'd buy a good condition 04-05' model over the 06' and up models.

p.s. : its the 04-05 with the problems..

yamahaman623
12-03-2008, 04:33 PM
personally i like the yfz's i have an 2005 and i love it. dont get me wrong the hondas are still a good bike but i like the yammie. i think that you will like power of the yamaha even though the hondas still have great power. you might like the feel of the honda because of the yfz lack of space but i have bigger risers and a longer stearing stem and it feels great. over all it is your desicion just remeber its like a girl test ride them before you comit.

Brauap
12-03-2008, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by yamahaman623
over all it is your desicion just remeber its like a girl test ride them before you comit.

haha, will keep that inmind!

Right now, I am pretty set on the 450R, but thanks for all the useful info guys!

I like this forum.. because if I were to ask this same question in the Honda forum, they'd all bash the YFZ because of it being a yamaha, but here you guys are alot more open minded than the honda guys.. haha

Thanks! ;)

yfzrider310
12-03-2008, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Brauap
haha, will keep that inmind!

Right now, I am pretty set on the 450R, but thanks for all the useful info guys!

I like this forum.. because if I were to ask this same question in the Honda forum, they'd all bash the YFZ because of it being a yamaha, but here you guys are alot more open minded than the honda guys.. haha

Thanks! ;)

Yea seems like as soon as someone gets a honda, yamaha is the Anti-Christ. My friend with a 450r talks like his 450 will last forever cause its honda and my yamaha should blow up everytime I start it. Is honda a desiese or a plague or something? I would say yamaha but if you like honda go with it, but when im racing in the woods I know my frame wont bend unlike my buddies 450r. By the way he bent his frame twice now. I would also like to include I am at around 600 hours on my yfz without one problem.