PDA

View Full Version : math problem??

trailrider894
12-03-2008, 09:12 AM
so i was wondering if any one is smart enough to know how those guys do that math to get those awesome world record jumps and stuff!! like the stuff were the take the weight, speed distance and all that stuff and put it all togther and have this awesome plan. i know some of how to do it.i just wanna know if anyone here knows how?? lol kinda strange question but whatever.

coryatver
12-03-2008, 09:17 AM
Its physics. Make sure you sign up for physics class in high school its worth it.

trailrider894
12-03-2008, 09:20 AM
awesome thankx!!

davidw2155
12-05-2008, 01:46 PM
Its simple kinematics...

You have to know several variables before starting:
velocity(v) - The speed at which you hit the ramp
angle(θ) - The angle of the ramp relative to horizontal ground
gravity(g) - Approximately 32.2 ft/s^2
initial height(y) - The height of the peak of the ramprelative to the landing surface

Now that you have all that you just plug it into the equation:
d=((v*cosθ)/g)*((v*sinθ)+(((v*sinθ)^2)+2*g*y)^(1/2)

This should give you the total distance (d) traveled by the projectile.

Just be sure you have all variables in the same units, i.e. ft/s instead of mph and feet instead of inches.

motofreak2772
12-09-2008, 08:58 PM
so mass, wind, preload, and other physical properties of the quad and rider have nothing to do with it?
I think you put down the basic formula but there are a lot of other variables and stuff that make things like that impossible to determine and thats why the crazy sh*t people do these days are so amazing.

400exstud
12-11-2008, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by motofreak2772
so mass, wind, preload, and other physical properties of the quad and rider have nothing to do with it?
I think you put down the basic formula but there are a lot of other variables and stuff that make things like that impossible to determine and thats why the crazy sh*t people do these days are so amazing.

In reality, they do.

davidw2155 posted the idealistic equation for ballistic motion.

As to your specific questions:
- Mass has no direct effect in this problem. Newton's Second equation states that Force = Mass X Acceleration
-In this case, our force is that of gravity. As you can see Mass is in a direct relation with the Force. So if we double the Mass, we need to double the force to maintain a balanced equation.
-Wind does have a factor, but this isn't taken into account until more advanced engineering classes. You would need to find the force of the wind against the object. You would also need to know the mass of the object and the time it is in flight.
-Preload... this could be taken into effect as an initial velocity in the previously stated equation. It would most likely need a specific direction though.

It really isn't that difficult. Where are you at in your academic career right now? I'm just interested because I'm in Mechanical Engineering at UW-Madison, and I enjoy talking about this kind of stuff.

Bradracer18
12-11-2008, 04:35 PM
Take a class called Dynamics...it will teach you plenty:)

redlineranger
12-11-2008, 04:57 PM
im not a numbers and science person... and its looks like im gonna fail Physics :ermm:

just judging by that type of equation

Bradracer18
12-11-2008, 07:46 PM
That equation is easy. You don't have to memorize it but have to be able to utilize it. I personally think there are other dynamics equations that will more accurately solve your problem

Drewltr450
12-11-2008, 07:52 PM
Cousin has a physics degree:confused: Its helped him get numerous teaching jobs offers from employers. Take the physics class it will benefit you greatly.