PDA

View Full Version : Neck Braces

drt18
12-03-2008, 08:09 AM
CHRISTMAS IS COMING EVS OR LEATT BRACE

Logan #34's Dad
12-03-2008, 10:27 AM
Leatt is better imo. Remember, you get what you pay for.

Needmorehp
12-03-2008, 10:46 AM
I have seen 3 diff, types of leatte, I mean prices, like $200, $400, and $600, is it just a weight diff. ? I would like to know.

TRM 33
12-03-2008, 11:11 AM
My son wears the EVS and I definitely think it is a better system. The way it rests on his shoulders would disperse the impact of a crash and help prevent all the collorbone breaks. His chiropractor thought this was better than the Leatt also.

QuadJunkies
12-03-2008, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by TRM 33
My son wears the EVS and I definitely think it is a better system. The way it rests on his shoulders would disperse the impact of a crash and help prevent all the collorbone breaks. His chiropractor thought this was better than the Leatt also.
Ive heard this as well,but have heard they are not as easy to fit.But what about to someone who has already had a severe clavical break??
My Daughter has already broke her Clavical and had to have screws and plate,this will now make it tough for her to wear one as I think it will rub the plate ??
One thing I have head good about the EVS was it helps prevent clavical breaks better than the Leatte. Im not sure how it actually does since impact and how you land on impact will depend on the break.
I would love t osee a product review on both products that was unbias and had a considerable time on both of them.

raidernut
12-03-2008, 12:15 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by TRM 33
My son wears the EVS and I definitely think it is a better system. The way it rests on his shoulders would disperse the impact of a crash and help prevent all the collorbone breaks. His chiropractor thought this was better than the Leatt also. [/QUOTE

Some time ago, we received the first youth leatt brace, and did some testing and fitting with the company, and published a magazine article about it. In discussing the technology behind the leatt with the inventor Dr. Chris Leatt, the brace believe it or not is almost designed to disperse the load and break in many cases the clavicle. When a catastrophic impact takes place, the load is deflected from the neck and spine, to the clavicle, which is a good thing. In a major crash, breaking a clavicle may save your spine or neck from major injury. A clavicle heals quick, a neck and spine does not. Now I know that evs is claiming that their brace will protect from clavicle injury, but at the expense of what? Where are they distributing the load? In my opinion the Leatt is by far the safer option, although for someone like quadjunkies whose child has clavicle problems, it may not be the best option. As far as the different prices, save your money and get the sport model. The club model is higher priced, and not worth the extra money on the slight savings in weight. My son had a nasty head first crash into a dirt bank this season, thank god he was wearing the leatt. Look at the picture how his helmet is shoved into the leatt brace, and limits the flex on his little neck.

TRM 33
12-03-2008, 12:17 PM
We didn't have any problems fitting the brace. Finding a chest protector that fit was the only issue. The neck roll part of the brace actually includes 3 foam pieces that make it more adjustable for different size kids. It is very comfortable to wear, my son forgot he had it on before the 1st corner.

QuadJunkies
12-03-2008, 12:32 PM
Ive hear alot of variations on comfort.. some seem to adapt to it right off, others could not stand the fit and feel of either one and had to ditch it as it effected them enough that if effected there racing.
Both are obviously great products alot seems to boil down to a riders preference ,fit and feel.
Ive heard Alpinestars is another good one that came reccomended to us from one of the guys at Fassco Co.

raidernut
12-03-2008, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
Ive hear alot of variations on comfort.. some seem to adapt to it right off, others could not stand the fit and feel of either one and had to ditch it as it effected them enough that if effected there racing.
Both are obviously great products alot seems to boil down to a riders preference ,fit and feel.
Ive heard Alpinestars is another good one that came reccomended to us from one of the guys at Fassco Co.

The alpinestar brace, uses almost the exact same design, and technology as the Leatt, but at a retail price of almost $700. It is a great brace, but the price doesnt justify over the Leatt. As far as comfort, it something that they just have to get use to, and they will. The people that are ditching them, are just either not giving them enough time, or are not taking the time to properly adjust, and use the different size pieces that leatt supplies. I would much rather be a little uncomfortable, and keep my ability to walk.

dblacks
12-03-2008, 01:22 PM
I can ony speak for the Leatt Brace. It definately works as my son not only walked away from a nasty nasty crash but he got back on and finished the race.

something is better than nothing and no excuse not to have something with the amount of $ we spend on these quads.

QuadJunkies
12-03-2008, 01:25 PM
The rider was actually a well known Pro.
I read an interesting topic once on the Pros and Cons to neck braces.
It was actually pretty interesting to read on feedback from all the riders.
Who knows... maybe someday it will be a mandatory safety item in the racing rules someday.

coffing918
12-03-2008, 02:10 PM
we recently got my 5 year old a evs and he is the kind of kid that dosnt like anything that feels funny or tight on him at all. at first we put it on and he got all mad and said he wasnt going to wear it so i said park ur quad, he didnt like that 1 bit so we went inside. he has a very short neck and a pretty big head he wears an adult small helmet (5 years old) when we put it on, his helmet it didnt touch the top of his head i could fit my hand under the top of his helmet, some how i relized that i could unzip the back of the brace and take out some of the padding, i took out just the smallest yellow pad, and it fit much much better, the directions dont tell u that it unzips in the back i actually saw it on utube, maybe it does but i couldnt find it, so now it fits good and he dosnt even complian when wearing it.

bulldogfallon
12-03-2008, 02:17 PM
The Leatt brace is our vote....We carry both and my son wears his Leatt brace even between races and even though it is a little more expensive it can actually be worn over a longer period of time due to the additional fitment pieces it comes with.

The Leatt Adventure has been released in very limited numbers now as well

Each dealer was alloted 1 pc on the first shipment..

We should have ours in less then a week and I will post some feedback.

Either way...Neck protection is a great idea!!

We run ours with the RXR air vests with good results and comfort.

coffing918
12-03-2008, 03:18 PM
GARY WILL THE ONEAL UNDERDOG BODY ARMOR GO WELL WITH THE EVS BRACE?

MXfun
12-03-2008, 04:09 PM
We use the Leatt with the RockGardn Flak Jacket EVERYTIME he rides.

Gary, I wondered how you liked the RXR. I am thinking of getting one after he outgrows the Rockgardn.

neveready
12-03-2008, 04:27 PM
I am with Gary, as a dealer for both, we run and prefer the Leatt. My boys wear theirs between motos,during intermission,through the whole day of racing and never complain.

I am sure the EVS is a great product as well, but for me and my kids safety (which no price matters for!!), I recommend the Leatt.

Also Right now, The Leatt has a 10% off offer til Christmas. They rarely allow any less than the $395. So it is a good time to pick one up. This sale is available through any Leatt retailer of your choice.

JIM GRACE
12-03-2008, 06:32 PM
leatt brace + rock garden armor = brandon in 1 piece :) :) :)

b-man has taken a major tumble with all of his gear on and he
jumped right up was ok (shook up, but he was ok) the only
scratch he had was on his forearm from not wearing a jersey
under his jacket( it was really hot)

i saw the other brace used with the rock garden jacket and it
looked very uncomfortable and bulky. the leatt brace tucks
into a pocket in the back of the jacket and he can't even tell
it's there...

JAG Motosports
12-04-2008, 08:22 AM
My vote = Leatt Brace 100%
The best $395 we've ever spent!
Not only did it protect my son's neck in his nasty crash in Kentucky at the Nationals but the EMS people (who were watching him crash right in front of them) said that if he wouldn't have been wearing it, he would have broken his neck. Leatt also has excellent customer support. We had to send his neck brace in after the crash so that they could make some small repairs. No problems at all.

A friend just bought the EVS brace for his kids. I think that it will probably do the job it is supposed to do but it isn't as comfortable as the Leatt. The EVS seems to limit the head movement somewhat (side to side, up and down) and it is harder to get all the gear on with the EVS. However, IMO it is better than nothing!

To go along with what was said earlier....Jordan wears his Leatt in between races and it doesn't bother him a bit. He says it's like it's not even there. IMO that's a good thing!

rookiewrench
12-04-2008, 09:38 AM
My vote is for the leatt because that is what we bought although I am glad we now have some choices. Wether it is $395 or $170 it is the best money that I have spent on my son if not only for the piece of mind it offers but we all hope that it does not have to be used for what it is designed for.

I saw Jordon (JAG) crash at KY. and after seeing that I knew that I spent the money wisely.

The best part for me with the brace is that it is not a hassel to get my son to put it on because it is so comfortable on him, When he comes up to me asking where the brace is when he races or rides casually it must also make him feel better/safer too.

backinsaddle
12-04-2008, 09:39 AM
My two boys, 5 and 9, both wear the Leatt. Fortunately the braces haven't been put to the test yet. I will say neither one has had the slightest complaint wearing them since since the minute they put them on for the first time.

frank parvin
12-04-2008, 04:25 PM
hey KT with your MONEY buy me one two . just buy the one that cost the most KT you got it

frank parvin
12-04-2008, 04:25 PM
hey KT with your MONEY buy me one two . just buy the one that cost the most KT you got it

drt18
12-04-2008, 06:10 PM
I DONT THINK SO HA HA. ILL GET U SOME SPARK PLUGS FOR XMAS.

jerkyboy
12-04-2008, 06:12 PM
We use the Leatt and they both like it alot. Like someone said in another post one or the other is better than nothing at all. Dale has had a few good wrecks and has always got back on to finish the race.

Logan #34's Dad
12-04-2008, 07:55 PM
Hey Kev, If you want to meet with me and barrow Logan's Leatt to see if your lil man likes it let me know.

Sparky D
12-04-2008, 11:24 PM
We have both, oldest son wears the EVS youngest wears the Leatt.

No question the Leatt seems to be the better product. It fits much better, and imo will do a better job in a bad crash.