PDA

View Full Version : question about starting

dirtdawg
12-02-2008, 08:02 PM
i noticed that cars seem to start alot easier than 4 wheelers. is this becuase of the increased compression? i have to press the start button at least 10 times before my 300 will start and stay running so it will warm up. once it starts and warms up, it's all set. should i press the gas a couple times b4 starting so i know i'm getting gas in the carb? what could i do to make it start the first time i press the button? i would love that! personally, i think it deals with the compression. my valves are fine. just did them in september and have a new plug. i have all the mods listed in my sig. i'll try to find something on this in the meantime.

QuadCobbler
12-02-2008, 09:57 PM
The 300ex carb has an accelerator pump; if you press the throttle about three times it will start much easier, also you might want to try the choke.

JohnT_98300EX
12-03-2008, 03:28 AM
the choke on the 300 is almost as much fun as getting into reverse is.

Grimzella
12-03-2008, 11:43 AM
durring the warmer months.. my 300ex starts right up.. no choke.. (and it's all stock) winter seems to be a problem.. you still have to babysit the throttle (until it warms up enough to idle on it's own). What i do in the winter is use my small honeywell space heater. With quad in the shed, put heater on low, and face it about 12 inches from the side of the engine (clutch side) .. depending on how cold it is outside... you may need to leave it slowly warm up the engine\oil for around 2hrs. When i do this (if i have time) the engine is room temp... and fires right up.. no choke. I personally don't like to mess around with 300ex cold start problems. This method helps me do that.

bwamos
12-04-2008, 07:38 AM
I almost always pump the accelerator pump about 5 times before starting.

Mine usually starts right up and may die 1 or 2 times if I just let it idle. But most of the time it keeps running.

You might try richening up your idle mixture just a tad.

Air cooled quads will always be tempermental on cold starts. It's just their nature. They dont have 5000 sensors like a modern automobile does.