PDA

View Full Version : Over heating?

400ex07
12-02-2008, 07:09 PM
I spent half the day yesterday trying to dial in my jetting. I have a 42 pilot with 2 1/4 turns out, and I think I am all set with that, I was using my Dyno jet kit, using a 170 which is what they recommend for my mods (no air box cover, pipe, and air filter). Every time I pull the plug its white, It runs great and pulls good but I am wondering if its over heating from the sparks timing key and because I am using the regular plug with it. If I switch to the cooler plug, do you guys think it should fix the problem?? I already checked for air leaks.

drew416ex
12-02-2008, 08:30 PM
If you are worried about being lean, go up to the largest main you have. It should stumble mid to top end. Then just work your way down until it doesnt stumble anymore and you will be set.

400ex07
12-02-2008, 09:38 PM
170 is the biggest the dyno jet kit comes with. I don't think It is lean, If anything It should be rich. I think that the engine is overheating and causing me to not get a accurate plug reading. I just bought the DPR9z and I am hoping that will cool it down enough to get a reading. It was like 45 degrees when I was testing it and it should have had plenty of cold air to keep it cool. I noticed a huge difference in the heat coming off the motor. I guess I just want to have someone say that the cooler plug will definitely make the engine run cooler?

Goob
08-27-2009, 09:22 PM
What did u end up withmine is doing the same j cannot get a reading but it runs like it's right on

400ex07
08-28-2009, 06:39 AM
The cooler plug fixed everything, It stopped coming out white and I was finally able to get a reading on the plug.