PDA

View Full Version : Help! All 250ex owners!

redroost85
12-15-2002, 02:35 PM
I was just in the shop trimming my fenders when I took the light down to look at the shaft drive (the bell part) when I noticed some cracking(?) on top of the housing (right across from the lube filler bolt) I don't think it is painted...could the bell be cracking for some reason? There are like a dozen hairline-like looking fractures. I run my hand across an can feel these. Is this normal, what could have caused this? Has anyone else seen this on theirs? It is almost like something is peeling off. It is only on top that I can see this.
Now I run my pretty hard, but I don't abuse it and I haven't slammed it down on a jump. I have put wd-40 on the bell to clean it as well, could that be it? Please help....man I hope this is like some normal wear and tear issue....but I am afraid it is not.

Honda2003
12-15-2002, 02:54 PM
is it on the swing arm or the rearend housing itself?

redroost85
12-15-2002, 03:04 PM
Right on top of the housing. Going from left to right on the rear end. Look at the filler bolt, then it dips down, then raises up. On that part is where the cracking is.

Honda2003
12-15-2002, 06:09 PM
post a pic if you can. it may be just normal aluminum(sp?) casting marks. .

Houser Cannondale
12-15-2002, 06:34 PM
its just normal. i think alot of them do that because my recon looks like that too and it wasent cracked. just casting marks in the aluminum.

redroost85
12-15-2002, 08:03 PM
Whew! I hope you guys are right! I was trying to think of all my hard landing jumps or when I reved it too much then popped it into gear...I was pretty nervous that I fubard something. I have never owned a shaft drive before this one. I wish I could post some pics, but I don't have a digital camera! Thanks for all of your help guys. I am glad I am not the only one who has seen this.

SR71
12-17-2002, 11:14 AM
I have a 250ex that has the same hairline cracks you are talking about. I have taken the rear end apart several times (cause I like to, not cause I had to). The cracks appear to be cosmetic. No fluid has passed in or out to date, but I'll be keeping my eye on it.