PDA

View Full Version : Holy Smokes ! Super Shiney plastics !!!

tri5ron
12-02-2008, 06:13 PM
I know that there are many past threads reguarding how to get your plastics to shine up, and I searched/read many of them before starting this.

I read how many people here have used products like Armor-all, or WD-40, and it works, but obviously attracts dust and dirt, and only looks good before riding the quad.

I also read where some of you have used linolium floor polishes such as Mop'N'Glo, or Mr. Clean, etc., with good results, but a few have said that it can get cloudy or yellowing with use.

I don't mean to repeat old postings, I just thought I'd share the stuff I just tried, and leave it up to you as to whether you like it or not.

Now, I have not personally tried the above named products, so I can not say whether they are any better or worse, but I CAN say that I'm pretty impressed with this stuff!

Below is a few pics of my quad after using "Pledge Floor Finish w/ Future Shine".
I WISH that I would have taken a pic just before using it, to show the difference, (but I DID take before and after pics of my wifes quad).

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/03%20400ex/IMG_8843.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/03%20400ex/IMG_8845.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/03%20400ex/IMG_8846.jpg

here's a pic of the juice...
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/03%20400ex/IMG_8860.jpg

I hope that the pics will do it justice, but I'm telling you that this stuff SHINES !
It literally looks dripping wet shiney, like I coated the whole quad with Johnson's Baby Oil, LOL!

I was so impressed with the results, that I had to do my wifes quad too, (and I did think to take some before/after pics).

below are some "Before" pics...

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/03%20400ex/IMG_8847.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/03%20400ex/IMG_8849.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/03%20400ex/IMG_8850.jpg

and here are some "After" pics...

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/03%20400ex/IMG_8852.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/03%20400ex/IMG_8853.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/03%20400ex/IMG_8854.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/03%20400ex/IMG_8856.jpg

Now just so that you get the whole picture of how well this stuff works,... take another quick look at the pics, and notice that there is almost NO shadows under the quads,....

This is because it was very overcast today, and not in the full sun. (I cant wait to see what they look like on a clear day),
so just to show you how overcast it was when I took these pics, here's a shot of the sun...
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/03%20400ex/IMG_8858.jpg

enjoy!

Speedy 400ex
12-02-2008, 08:52 PM
wow thats shiny. Ill have to try it some time. Tell us how it holds up.

katch26
12-03-2008, 07:55 AM
thats an oldie but a goodie. Ive never seen it on atv plastics but we used to use it on our Army boots :)

tri5ron
12-03-2008, 04:40 PM
Here's a couple of quick shots in the sun today, taken at about the same time as yesterday.

I wish I knew how to take better pictures, but oh well...
Look closely at the reflection in the fenders of the red quad, and you'll get the idea.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/IMG_8863.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/IMG_8868.jpg

12-03-2008, 04:52 PM
nice find, how lon does it last? is a something that needs to be put on everytime its washed?

UNBROKEN
12-03-2008, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by katch26
thats an oldie but a goodie. Ive never seen it on atv plastics but we used to use it on our Army boots :)

the plastics look like new !!! , hey katch were u in the army?

Brauap
12-03-2008, 05:37 PM
Whoa! That looks sooo nice! However, I too, am curious on how this holds up..

Also, did you just buy that bottle, or did you do any mixing or anything like that? Also, how much does that cost a bottle?! I might have to try that!

I use to use WD-40, did look good at first but it was a pain, and I used it down in WV then I parked the quad and about 2 and a half hours later I went to go sit on my quad and there where hundreds of little dead beetles all over my quad! haha! They obviously love that stuff too! But it attracts dirt like crazy!

Make sure you don't get any of that on your seat! It'd be a nightmare!

Brauap
12-03-2008, 05:39 PM
btw, I have 2 offtopic questions that has had me curious for a while now..

1) is your bumper PC'd? it kind looks like a rubercoating or something, it looks cool

2) what is between your handlebars?

HondaFamily
12-03-2008, 06:18 PM
I have used this stuff for some time now. It is one of those things that has its place but is not the ultimate catch all. It does a wonderful job of shining up the plastics and if you put 3-5 coats over problem areas you can actually fill pretty deep scratches and nicks. The bad thing about it is wherever you rub it while riding it will wear off. For me this is the black side pieces and front of rear fenders. This is a problem because the stuff actually leaves a clear coating over whatever you use it on and leaves a distinct wear line. To overcome this you have to put another coat on after cleaning. So it is a one time ride thing, but is nicer than wd or armor all in that it doesnt attract dust.

tri5ron
12-03-2008, 08:17 PM
foxhondarider-
I'm not sure how long it will last yet, I havent had a chance to ride with it yet.
I'm doubting that it will need to be re-applied after every ride, or wash, due to the bottle says that it is an acrylic finish that contains no wax.
it also says that does not yellow, and that it should be "removed from your floor every 6 to 8 applications, or annually, using 1 cup of ammonia & 1/4 cup floor cleaner in a 1/2 gallon of water".

that tells me that it should hold up to straight water fairly well. (We'll see about that)

brauap-
I didn't mix anything with it, just used it straight out of the bottle per the instructions. Cost about $7 bucks per bottle.

My bumper was originally PC'd, (black),but got all scratched up.
I wanted to see how I'd like it in yellow. so it's just rattle-canned right now. The jury is still out, on the yellow,... but It's growing on me, and will probably get PC'd in yellow later on.

The thing you see between my handlebars is a custom bracket that I am working on, to mount a 2-way GMRS radio.
It is the first basic design I came up with, but I've already decided to do it over, with changes to it.
My next dsign will have a nice solid mounting area for a Trail Tech Vapor computer, AND the 2-way radio.

I have a pair of speakers, and microphone mounted inside my helmet, and a PTT button next to the left hand grip.

When I fine tune, and finish fit it to the quad, I will be making another one for my wifes quad, (w/Radio only), so that I can talk to her while riding, and to talk her through tough spots along trails, etc.

I realize that it's something not everyone would want on their quads, but since I never do any track type riding, or any type of racing, it should suit our style of riding very well.
A few of my buddies are waiting for me to finish it, then they all want me to make some for their quads/bikes. Then we can all stay in touch, and able to communicate if anyone gets seperated from the group.

The radios that I chose to use, have about a 2 to 2 1/2 mile range, (I've actually tested them at that range),
and have quite a few nice features, and are much cheaper than some of the more common "race" radio's.

Thanks for the compliments.
Ride hard,... Ride safe,... and keep the rubber side down!

miller821
12-04-2008, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by HondaFamily
I have used this stuff for some time now. It is one of those things that has its place but is not the ultimate catch all. It does a wonderful job of shining up the plastics and if you put 3-5 coats over problem areas you can actually fill pretty deep scratches and nicks. The bad thing about it is wherever you rub it while riding it will wear off. For me this is the black side pieces and front of rear fenders. This is a problem because the stuff actually leaves a clear coating over whatever you use it on and leaves a distinct wear line. To overcome this you have to put another coat on after cleaning. So it is a one time ride thing, but is nicer than wd or armor all in that it doesnt attract dust.

Where are you at in Southern Illinois?

Ba9801
07-12-2009, 07:04 PM
So it has been a while now since you first put that stuff on, how has it held up over time.

tri5ron
07-12-2009, 07:15 PM
Holds up fairly well, water dosent effect it, and it stays shiney.
It dosent seem to flake any from vibration or expected flexing of fenders during normal riding.
It does turn a little foggy where you rub on it, but does not yellow.
a quick light coating over the rub areas, and its as good as new.

but do not spill gas on it when filling your tank. Gas melts it immediately on contact.

all in all, it works very well,...
stays SUPER shiney,...
is dry but looks dripping wet...
does not attract dust like WD-40 or silicone type sprays,...
and is easy to clean up, and touch-up

Ba9801
07-12-2009, 07:17 PM
Sounds great, I will try it. My bike is only 6 weeks old but the plastics are all ready dull as can be. Thanks for the tip
:)

bigd's ex
07-14-2009, 04:32 AM
Picked up a bottle yesterday & I gotta say I like the results. :macho

Ron,

Do you use this on your tires ? Thanks

sab24711
07-14-2009, 03:19 PM
i use it alot. when ever i sell and atv or dirt bike just makes it look that much nicer. plus break cleaner the green can gets all that old dirt and crap off the engine. or purple power spray it on a cold engine and then let it idle to hot and wash it off. works best on my mustang engine. power washer does help too!

Pabst_Powered
07-15-2009, 03:16 PM
just bought some yesterday as well and WOW!!! barely even used a half a cup, this stuff is going to go along way....and looks great, cheap fix for now....thanx for the info

tri5ron
07-15-2009, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by bigd's ex
Picked up a bottle yesterday & I gotta say I like the results. :macho

Ron,

Do you use this on your tires ? Thanks
I havent tried it on the tires, but I'm guessing that the tires will flex enough to make it wear off quickly.
couldn't hurt to try I guess, and if it dosent hold up very well it could always be blasted off with a good pressure washer.

omeeomy
07-28-2009, 02:34 PM
how did you apply this stuff i tried its not working to well let us all know your trick
some parts look really sweet

dankbud42o
07-28-2009, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by tri5ron
I havent tried it on the tires, but I'm guessing that the tires will flex enough to make it wear off quickly.
couldn't hurt to try I guess, and if it dosent hold up very well it could always be blasted off with a good pressure washer.

wouldnt putting something like that on the tires make them more slippery and lose traction? i was told to never use stuff on the tires because of that..be slippin on rocks and stuff..?

tri5ron
07-28-2009, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by omeeomy
how did you apply this stuff i tried its not working to well let us all know your trick
some parts look really sweet make sure you've got the plastics as clean as possible first.
no residues from soaps, oils, etc.
if your not sure that it is clean, then try wiping it down with rubbing alcohol and a paper towel.

to apply the floor polish, use a lint free cloth, clean sponge, or paper towels.
work in a shaded area, plastcs as cool as possible, no wind or fans blowing directly on the wet polish.

apply the polish quickly, with as few strokes as possible.
obtain full coverage quickly, and do not continue to wipe the polish as it starts to dry, and become tacky.

get a thin, uniform, wet coating on the plastics, and then STOP touching it. Allow to dry.

remember that you are nox applying a wax, like you would to a car's paint.
You do not have to rub in circles, you do not have to wait for it to dry, and then polish away any dried wax/powder.

you are applying it wet, and letting it dry.
that's it.
no buffing later.

MtnEX
07-31-2009, 02:36 AM
Sweet...

Now what about if you let your quad sit around in the elements a long time?

I am the type that will sometimes load up a day or two early, go somewhere and it may sit out all day one day there while I'm doing something else (playing w/kids, fishing, etc). And it may sit on the trailer a day or two after before being cleaned up and put away.

Just wondering if there are ill effects to it sitting in the sun all day... or the rain...

tri5ron
07-31-2009, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by MtnEX
Sweet...

Now what about if you let your quad sit around in the elements a long time?

I am the type that will sometimes load up a day or two early, go somewhere and it may sit out all day one day there while I'm doing something else (playing w/kids, fishing, etc). And it may sit on the trailer a day or two after before being cleaned up and put away.

Just wondering if there are ill effects to it sitting in the sun all day... or the rain... so far, no ill effects.
think of it this way,...
the stuff was intended for use on linoleium floors, that you walk turn, skid, spin, on.
it is intended to hold up to a 300lb MIL, wearing penny loafers, who just came in from the back yard.

here's a pic after 3 weekend trips, a good 60-80 miles of dusty/rocky trails, in the California desert Sun...

I may have wiped it with a dry rag:eek2: :p :eek2: :p :eek2: :p
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/Fathers%20Day%202009/IMG_9857.jpg

rocket_22
07-31-2009, 11:41 PM
tri5ron how do you like that big gun pipe?

mdt75crazy
01-20-2010, 05:52 PM
yeah tried this stuff over the summer after i found this thread and it really shines the plastics up nice and covers up those dull areas, plus it makes it easier to wash because the mud seems to not stick as well. makes me wanna sit and stare at my quad :)

big_poppa49
04-03-2010, 05:38 PM
bump.

Just found this old post and picked up a bottle and wow! My 01' shines like new!! Highly recommended! :D

atv fan 28
04-03-2010, 10:25 PM
yeah i was curious on how this stuff worked, so i went out and bought a bottle. im really impressed with the results!

Jdev3407
04-05-2010, 08:44 PM
i got some pretty scuffed areas on my 05 its yellow as well and was wondering if u guys thinked about sanding it with some super high grit paper to smooth it out and then apply the pledge if that would affect it at all or u guys think it will work just as good ???

big_poppa49
04-05-2010, 08:50 PM
hmm, I have never sanded the plastic. You could try putting some "scratches" similar to the ones you have on your fenders in an inconspicuous area and try sanding it. That way if it makes it worse it wont matter because it will be hidden anyway. But the Pledge sure does help hide the scratches, I have some on my fenders and it just makes them kinda blemish in

Jdev3407
04-05-2010, 08:52 PM
i mean there kinda scratches from twigs and bryers that would be equal to taken a razer knife and scratching the surface i was just gonna try to take it down to the plastic but wasnt sure if it would hurt it

CJM
04-05-2010, 09:26 PM
Dont sand the plastics, I tried and it looked so awful I bought paint and painted it decently for now.

Even small scratches turn white, no amount of wax, pledge, etc would make them go away.

mjc400ex
04-12-2010, 09:49 AM
I don't have much to add as far as shiny plastics but I wax all of my plastics every now and then.
This makes hosing mud off way easier.
I use a turtle wax car wax and it shines them up a little and the water/mud comes off easier.