PDA

View Full Version : Laeger's Stock Shock A-arms ?!?

wilkin250r
12-02-2008, 01:17 PM
Are these a-arms actually designed to use the stock shocks?

I know that standard travel a-arms use the stock length shocks, but that's not the same thing. Just because the stock shocks bolt up doesn't mean they work correctly, you have to get shocks specifically set up for the added leverage.

But Laeger has two different products listed on the website, a "Recreational A-arm kit" (which I assume would use stock length shocks) and a "Stock Shock A-arm kit".

I think it would be possible to do, that you could design a set of +2 a-arms to perform properly with the stock shocks. The added leverage would be compensated by using a different mounting location. I had this same idea a couple years ago.

But did Laeger actually do it? Are these a-arms really designed to be used with stock shocks, not just stock length? I can't seem to find any information online, any reviews or anything, and I would imagine a product like this would be bigger news?!?

Colby@C&DRacing
12-03-2008, 09:29 AM
Sorry to disappoint but they are just made for stock length shocks.

Pono
12-03-2008, 03:34 PM
i think it is impossible to make an arm that will work perfect with the stock shock as is. you could change the lower mount location to change the leverage ratio but then you would have an improper ride height. the rec arms from laegers is prob the same as the standard travel arm but minus gussets. thats what is most commonly done. depending on your weight and which type of quad the arms are goin on....you could actually make the shocks perform very well. if its a bike with compression, you just have to adjust the compression and preload.

wilkin250r
12-05-2008, 02:57 AM
Originally posted by Pono
i think it is impossible to make an arm that will work perfect with the stock shock as is. you could change the lower mount location to change the leverage ratio but then you would have an improper ride height.

I don't think it would be that difficult.

I'll admit, I haven't actually gone through the equations to get the actual numbers, but I bet the shock location would only have to move an inch at most, which would generally translate to two or more inches of ride height at the ends of the a-arms. But I think the use of a reverse gullwing design and creative mounting could bring the ride height back to normal.

It would obviously require a lot of R&D, but I think it would be a hot selling item for recreational riders, getting extended a-arms without the need for new shocks.

rustyATV
12-21-2008, 04:06 AM
Yeah, sure, it's possible, but realize that there are trade-offs to be had in every aspect of a suspension system.

For the gain of +2 arms running stock shocks with no re-spring/re-valve (am I reading that right? It's late), you are going to lose suspension travel and may find the shock to be far too progressive to effectively use its entire travel. Also, shocks at steep angles generate heavy loads in suspension components.

Not to mention the fact that stock shocks are always a compromise, and I believe this is impractical.

The most ideal position (remember, this is ideal, not realistic) for a shock is right at the line of action of the lower ball joint, with minimum angle. This minimizes unsprung mass and maximizes the effectiveness of the shock, which allows for softer spring and damper settings.