PDA

View Full Version : how do i tighten my chain?

Mattman88
12-02-2008, 12:23 PM
I recently purchased an 02 400ex and I noticed that the chain needs tightened. I know that there needs to be some play in the chain but the chain moves too freely and makes noise when riding. I know the basics of tightening a chain, I helped a friend on his z400 and all he had to do was loosen a bolt or two and pull the axle back. I was wondering if my 400ex was the same way. I cant seem to find any fitting or anything to loosen. Any help would be appreciated.

12-02-2008, 12:41 PM
loosen the 4 pinch bolts a t the rear of the swing arm. then with the same allan wrench, rotate the slotted collar that is between the sprocket and swing arm, by sticking the allan wrench in one of the slots and pulling towards you.

12-02-2008, 04:30 PM
sometimes its hard to turn it by just sticking something in there so you can put it in between the sprocket holder spokes or w/e they are called and push the quad forward or back and it will be like a small hammer. a guy taught me that when iw as out riding he saw me struggling to get my chain tightened and he came over with some tools and showed me how he does it on his YFZ. worked perfect and less effort/struggling involved.

Mattman88
12-02-2008, 06:38 PM
hey thanks alot for the help, sorry im kinda new to this. I have been stuck on 2 wheels for a while. Ill give that a try tomorrow and see how it works out.

Mattman88
12-02-2008, 07:16 PM
One last question......... at least I hope. Do I have to jack up the rear end of the quad in order to pull the axle back to tighten the chain?

NacsMXer
12-02-2008, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by Mattman88
One last question......... at least I hope. Do I have to jack up the rear end of the quad in order to pull the axle back to tighten the chain?

Nope, it can be done on the ground.

12-03-2008, 06:52 AM
actually, it should be done with rider weight on it to compress the suspension...

Mattman88
12-23-2008, 02:16 PM
any advice if this doesnt work?? I have a feeling that no one has tightened this chain before. I think I ended up rounding out the "pinch" bolts. I got them loose but I dont know if they are loose enough for the slotted collar to move. I can see where the swingarm has slightly separated so I figured that would be enough but that collar is not moving at all. This is making me wonder if the pinch bolts are not loose enough.

Mattman88
12-23-2008, 02:34 PM
I think I may have found the problem but im not sure. How many slots are there in the slotted collar? I counted only 3, but what I noticed is that there are no others in front of it that I can push down on (the other 2 are already below it). I am thinking that this means I cant adjust it any more (at least I cant tighten it anymore) and that I may need new a chain and sprocket. Does this sound correct or am i somewhat mislead.

12-23-2008, 03:50 PM
if it hasn't been done, it will be hard to move the collar, there are 3 slots, they need to be rotated toward the rear of the atv to tighten the chain. if you cannot get the correct amount of tension with rider weight on the atv, then it is time for a new chain and sprockets...replace them as a set as they wear together.

Mattman88
12-23-2008, 04:18 PM
yea I get that part, but my problem is that the 3rd collar is at the back of the quad (meaning the other 2 are below it and they cannot be pulled backward) this leads me to believe that the 3rd collar also cannot be pulled to the back of the quad anymore. I am having problems even loosening the pinch bolts. I only got one of the four loose. So my problem is that I only got 1 loose and I dont know if that is sufficient enough to move the collar but I believe that the collar is already the farthest back it can go because the other 2 are already below it, under the quad.

Brauap
12-23-2008, 04:24 PM
Then it sounds like you need to take your chain off & take a few links off. :eek2:

Gibson
12-23-2008, 04:40 PM
there is mark on the swingarm and on the carrier when they line up, you are out of adjustment and need to get a new chain and sprockets

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk34/crg10493/100_1014.jpg
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk34/crg10493/100_1020.jpg

Mattman88
12-23-2008, 04:41 PM
I may be crazy but I heard that the stock chain doesnt have a master link (and im pretty sure this is the stock chain). This seems to be just my luck. I guess im gonna have to get some new tools to try and loosen up the pinch bolts some more.

Brauap
12-23-2008, 05:32 PM
Well, if it is an 02, with stock chain, and sprockets, its a good bet that they NEED to be replaced! Just cut the chain and take off the sprockets and buy new ones! Its about time don'tcha think!? :chinese:

Mattman88
12-23-2008, 08:01 PM
oh I know it needs done, im just kinda trying to band aid the problem for now until i can rack up some cash. I finally got the pinch bolts out but they are half way rounded out so Im gonna replace them. Thanks for the help everyone and sorry for asking so many questions.

rcatvrider
12-24-2008, 09:35 AM
There is no master link, but you can still take it off and remove links if needed.
I'm not saying this exact one, but they make some large chain breakers. You should be able to find a simple one for around 10 bucks.
http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/product/HP-TOOLS-CHAIN-BREAKER-HEAVY-DUTY/?psreferrer=http%253A%252F%252Fwww.nextag.com%252F chain-breaker%252Fcompare-html%253F&prodId=778347&segment=badger

02-05-2009, 07:17 PM
My carrier wont spin unless I stick a punch in one of the holes and hit it with a hammer... :ermm:

NacsMXer
02-05-2009, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by SuicideMFNdoors
My carrier wont spin unless I stick a punch in one of the holes and hit it with a hammer... :ermm:

That's pretty common. It's just ground up dirt that gets in between the carrier housing and the carrier from water...makes it hard to move. If you take the carrier out clean it, and even apply a very light coating of grease it should loosen up for ya.

02-06-2009, 02:47 AM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
That's pretty common. It's just ground up dirt that gets in between the carrier housing and the carrier from water...makes it hard to move. If you take the carrier out clean it, and even apply a very light coating of grease it should loosen up for ya.

I dont mind just hittin it a few times to adjust my chain, but I will take your advice when I install my new axle.. I have a lonestar dual row carrier also.