PDA

View Full Version : 400ex hubs add width?

snacob14
12-02-2008, 09:46 AM
If i convert to 400ex spindles and hubs will this add any width to my R. I'm looking ot gain about an inch or so. I ride woods/MX, so I'm looking for a little width, but I don't know if going too wide would be good. I'm definitely in a planning and collecting stage of this build. So, will it add width, or is there a way to add width with any of these upgrades?

SWIGIN
12-03-2008, 11:19 AM
i doubt it will change much at all but if thats what you want then do it and just use whatever offset wheel you need to get it where you want.

Dave83
12-03-2008, 03:19 PM
If you are using stock off set wheels,the cheap way for an inch on each side is to flip the wheels around.Take the valve stem out and install it upside down,then drill another hole on what was the inside of the wheel and put a new valve stem in right side up

snacob14
12-03-2008, 04:13 PM
I thought about that, but I also would be concerned about the added leverage on my wheel bearings and ball joints

rustyATV
12-03-2008, 05:20 PM
The spindle/hub offsets are the same on the 400EX and 250R.

400EX hubs are the same as 88-89 250R hubs.

Actually, the offsets are the same as for the 450R even though all the parts are different

So if you want to gain width and don't want to flip the wheels, you'll need to do it in the arms

Dave83
12-03-2008, 07:11 PM
The leverage wont hurt anything.You can buy the wheels with the offset made into them also.There is also the s word(yikes) as in wheel spacers,but they are the worst way to gain width.

mxduner
12-03-2008, 09:07 PM
i added ex spindles,hubs and gained 1 inch per side.I used the same wheels and tires and maintained the exact same camber,castor and toe in, with the same a-arms. why??? it was a great mod however, i need 4+1 wheels to get me back to 50" limit by rule of atva:D

snacob14
12-04-2008, 11:22 AM
that is definitely helpful, I would like to hear from guys who have done this and see what they are measuring on stock arms for width with stock wheels. Measurements are what I would like to see, not heresay

Dave83
12-04-2008, 06:36 PM
Not sure how he got any added width from 400EX spindles and hubs.The a-arms on the R and the EX are the same width,with the overall width being the same,the spindles and hubs would also be the same.You would have gained more than 1" on each side to be over the 50",I dont see it.With +2 arms and 1" more offset wheels,mine is barely over 50"

rustyATV
12-04-2008, 09:15 PM
Yeah, I call shenanigans.

SWIGIN
12-05-2008, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by snacob14
that is definitely helpful, I would like to hear from guys who have done this and see what they are measuring on stock arms for width with stock wheels. Measurements are what I would like to see, not heresay

i know guys who have done this but we never measured before and after....if (and thats a big if) it get wider doing this its not enough to notice.

mxduner
12-05-2008, 05:14 PM
btw i have +2 ^1 arms.In order to maintain the same cambor with the ex spindles, i had to turn out the lower hiems about 5-6 turns out more than the r spindles.and thats with the uppers turned all the way in.that explains the width difference.it was interesting to see the difference between the 2 sets adjustment differences to achieve the same alignment, for both Castor and camber. with stock/non adjustable a-arms you probably wont get any noticeable width difference.. my guess