PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about 250 for Wife

deeve
12-02-2008, 08:02 AM
Hello, my wife currently has a 2007 TRX250EX and I am thinking selling that and getting a Raptor 250 (anyone want to buy it..only two ride) We took it out to a GP course and the Honda was kind of a handful with all the bumps. She is a very begining rider and I ride a dirtbike a lot, mostly on the GP stuff, some light MX and trails. There is the chance of running a sand track too someday. I would like to get her something that she can ride with me on and have fun. I think she had fun on the Honda, but it seemed like it was a lot of work to get it around the track. It also looked like it was not too much fun going faster on the rough track. I took it out and am WAY to big for the suspension, but I thought it was bumpy and a lot more work than my dirtbike. If all quads are that hard to ride than you guys who race have my respect. I figured that would be about the same and easier to ride faster.

From what I have seen I think the Raptor would be better suited for the kind of stuff we would ride than the Honda. Anyone know how the Raptor would work on the GP stuff with an adult on it? Any suggestions or comparisons to the Honda?

Thanks!
Dave

LoweJ82
12-02-2008, 09:40 AM
I just got a trx 450r not to long ago, Been thinking of getting the ol lady a 300ex.

Have you rode a raptor? I rode a 700 after riding my 450r the raptor seemed slow at take off, It seemed top heavy in the corners I didnt care for it much at all. couldnt tell you about the 250 raptor though.

tireman43
12-03-2008, 09:36 AM
It depends on the size of your wife. My wife is 5'8" and I'm 5'10" and it seems o.k. The Raptor is a very nice quad for beginners and has a much better stock suspension than any other quad in its class stock. The power is decent and is VERY easy to shift. I would find a local dealer and get her on one to see for yourself what you think. The Rappy I have is for my 12yr old(5"4") daughter but my wife has learned how to ride a shifter with it. My wife rides our Sportsman if we go out though. Good luck with your decision.

Kevin

tireman43
12-03-2008, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by LoweJ82
I rode a 700 after riding my 450r the raptor seemed slow at take off, It seemed top heavy in the corners I didnt care for it much at all.

Not trying to come off like a jerk, but you are comparing two TOTALLY different quads there. Your 450r is an out of the box race quad and the Raptor is more of a woods racer or trail quad.

vondeister
12-04-2008, 11:12 AM
my son has had his raptor 250 for a week with several practice sessions and one indoor MX race and so far this thing is awesome, the stock suspension in great, ordered a HMF full exhaust + jet for added performance and sound, will report on that after next race 12/13.
this is a great machine for youth racing 12-15 and adults recreation.

deeve
12-06-2008, 11:30 PM
Picked up a new 2008 Gray and Red 250 for $2600 OTD. I am very impressed with the quality of the machine. I hope it runs as good as it looks!

Dave

mrowe
12-07-2008, 08:37 AM
first off I want to be clear I am completely a Honda guy and it pained me to research the 250 raptor and test ride one and realize how perfect this quad is for teens and smaller size adults men or women....My son has been riding the most high end minis and superminis for years....he is riding it in wisconsin right now in the snow...it is a complete success...stops well, turns well, runs perfect right out of the box even today(its 10 degrees here)...whatever rider level this bike was well thought out and performs fast or slow in rough or smooth....sweet to look at...cheaply priced....I would highly recommend it and I would be surprised if you didn't post back how tickled you are with it!

good luck and have fun