PDA

View Full Version : Different Springs for Single A-Arms?

thedeatons
12-02-2008, 12:28 AM
Anyone ever experimented with different springs on the front shocks of a single a-arm 50 (2006 model)? I have the 2007 rear shock spring conversion, so the rear is super soft. I would like the front to match, and don't have money (or permission) for new front shocks. I could probably pull off a spring purchase though!

thedeatons
12-03-2008, 12:32 AM
No one has ever thought of a softer front end done inexpensively for their little ones?

Hetrick Racing
12-03-2008, 06:35 AM
what some people used to do was take the spring off,compress it and put some heat to it.It will make the spring way better.The bad thing is its not a true science, you may play with them to get it correct.

thedeatons
12-03-2008, 09:04 AM
Few questions....

Fully compress both of them like with a c-clamp?

Are we talking the oven at 350 degrees or a torch?

Logan #34's Dad
12-03-2008, 10:25 AM
I'm thinking with a torch. Remember how the ole' hotrodders used to lower their cars? C-clamp may be a little dangerous. Get a cheap spring compressor from an auto store. The kind with a hook on each end of a threaded bolt. IMO

thedeatons
12-16-2008, 12:01 AM
Anyone ever tried to mount a set of 2007 front shocks on a 2006 single a-arm?

BradLoomis
12-16-2008, 12:11 AM
If you heat the spring, it doesn't really soften the spring. It will take the spring temper out of it which means that it will work for awhile, but will eventually sag even lower. The best thing I have found is to move the A-arm shock mount in closer towards the frame.

Wet your concrete floor and the tires should slide out alot easier. Push down on the front bumber to get an idea of how firm they are. Block the frame up at ride height and tack in new mounts closer in. They only need to be strong enough to check the new softer shock mount location. If you like it, finish weld them in and cutoff the old mounts. If you don't, then knock them off and go in a little farther.

thedeatons
12-16-2008, 10:38 AM
So you are making the a-arm longer (in relation to the lower shock mount), which gives the a-arm and wheel more leverage on the shock, effectively making the shock seem softer.

marsrace2
12-16-2008, 11:17 AM
that sounds to me like what he is saying, I did the same thing on the rear swingarm of ours