PDA

View Full Version : 300 ex 2004 - new clutch help ASAP

sunco
12-01-2008, 08:40 PM
got it all apart but I can't get the big nut off. I have the front brake zip tied. The quads in gear. When I try & loosen the nut the back wheel just slips a little. I think I broke one of the aluminum post. Damn. Need to put it back tuesday - someone is coming to look & buy it if I get my act together. Thanx By the way I did notice that the silver ring next to the big nut has a dent in it- not sure if thats working against me. I tried to clear it out some w/ only some sucess.

hoogiesngrinder
12-01-2008, 09:30 PM
You need to knock the nut back into round, it is punched in to lock it in place. It shouldn't be on there too terribly tight, 80 lb-ft roughly. Put the quad in gear and sit on the rear tire, rear plastic off obviously.

sunco
12-02-2008, 05:22 AM
I pretty much did that - so just try harder huh?

Mikeman1
12-02-2008, 09:01 AM
Yup-it'll come off.

sunco
12-03-2008, 04:53 AM
No time last nite - Picking teams for hockey season

Today work & put it back together before 4:30

Think I'll put it back 1st then go to work. :D

sunco
12-03-2008, 05:33 PM
ok so If you can't get that nut off. Here's how I did it

1) Zipped tied the front brake lever

2) Put it in gear

3) got a long solid pipe (not the hollow jack handle :( ) I put that thru the wheel & the sproket which rested on the swing arm. Used the torque wrench & gave it all I had. Wha La it finally come off.
The burr they put on the nut was a joke but that might be why it was hard to get it off.

I didn't soak the new clutch parts overnite - I just dropped them in the oil for awhile till I was ready to put it back together.

Anyway had to buy a new battery $70

Then I couldn't get it to stay running Then it wouldn't run at all - time to clean the carb. I should have done this before I advertized it for sale. Oh well - One more thing to do.