View Full Version : Which Swingarm??? Long-Travel...

bmw500hp
12-15-2002, 12:51 PM
Could someone explain whats available in Long-travel swingarm...that is if it is available for a stock 400ex frame.)...

How and when can u use a cr500 or a no link....You have to use these with aftermarket frame..Right...confused..
thx

Dave400ex
12-15-2002, 07:25 PM
There currently isn't a LT Swingarm for the 400ex. You have to move the rear shock mount for LT on the 400ex right now. John Houser, and I think John Arens are both working on something though.

bmw500hp
12-15-2002, 07:33 PM
thanks as always... wm what does this jannsenn axis lt setup that extremeracer has ?????

Dave400ex
12-15-2002, 07:37 PM
The swingarm is normal, he had his rear shock mount moved like I said you had to right now to have a LT rear end. Then he just got a LT axis rear.

Extremeracer167
12-16-2002, 09:00 AM
BMW,
I tried PMing you but your box is full. But anyways....yeah i went with the Jannssen Racing swingarm, because it is the aero tubing that is supposed to be stronger then the square tubing on most swingarms. ANd the fact that Joel at JR told me they would completely stand behind it. But the swingarm is the same as any +1 1/4 swingarm, and like warriorman said i did have to move my upper shock mount. But going from stock length swingarm with Axis rear to a longer swingarm w/long travel shock.......its UNREAL how good it feels now! I would DEF. recommend this to anyone......except my competition;)

bmw500hp
12-16-2002, 01:54 PM
Extreme & WM

Thanks guys,,, understand now.....

m

Dave400ex
12-16-2002, 02:06 PM
Extremeracer167, How does the +1.25 work for in the Woods? A lot of guys stick with the standard swingarm.
Also Rocky Ridge does the LT conversion rear for the 400ex. Around $200 or something I thinking. You would have to call.

Extremeracer167
12-16-2002, 02:15 PM
WM,
Personally i dont see why everyone gripes about the longer swingarm in the woods. Alot of guys say it doesnt corner as good. Well alot of guys thay say that must not race alot of GNCCs. Anymore at the GNCCs most of the tracks are pretty fast. There arent a whole lot of tracks that are super tight to the point that a 1 1/4 swingarm isnt going to hurt you. I feel that with it being so much more stable and not wanting to wheelie all the time, i make up plenty of time to compansait for the super tight stuff. But i still dont feel much of a differance in the tight stuff. Overall i def think its the hot ticket!

Dave400ex
12-16-2002, 02:20 PM
That's what I was thinking. 1.25 is not that long really, so I can't believe it would affect the turning that much. Heck by time I have the money for a Swingarm Honda will have something new and I will want that instead.

trx400ex
12-16-2002, 03:20 PM
Heres a pic of an LT Axis shock.... personally i think its THE setup

Quadfather
12-17-2002, 05:11 PM
How many more links are needed on the chain to run a +1 1/4 swingarm? I read that a factory chain has 100 links, how many more are needed?

bmw500hp
12-17-2002, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by trx400ex
Heres a pic of an LT Axis shock.... personally i think its THE setup

Ex...Looks like my garage!!! Ok... You mentioned "the setup"...
Here is the question....

-When you do a Axis and a Upper shock mount reposition.... How does this effect the Axis that you actually order?? and/or

-if you order or buy your rear shock...does the fact that you are using a 1-1/4 extended swingarm factor into the shock length vs the length you would use for a standard swingarm...?

trx400ex
12-17-2002, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by bmw500hp

Ex...Looks like my garage!!! Ok... You mentioned "the setup"...
Here is the question....

-When you do a Axis and a Upper shock mount reposition.... How does this effect the Axis that you actually order?? and/or

-if you order or buy your rear shock...does the fact that you are using a 1-1/4 extended swingarm factor into the shock length vs the length you would use for a standard swingarm...?
that was right after i cleaned!

The length of the swingarm only changes the way the shock is set-up, not length, the length is added to the rear of the shock mount on the swingarm so there is just more leverage if that makes sence...

when you order the shock you have to tell them its for the raised mount, i beleive it is the same price as the standard shock

Dave400ex
12-17-2002, 07:27 PM
Yeah it's the same price as the Standard Shock. If you get an Axis rear, best setup would be with Axis fronts too.

Mxbubs
12-17-2002, 07:37 PM
Brad Herrmann is working on a No-Link LT shock setup for the rear.........If I can sale my elka shock and swingarm, I am going to give it a try.....I have spoken with him several times, the airbox is the biggest problem........I am going to have to make my own airbox........Anyone have any experience with a no-link ride versus standard link?

12-17-2002, 07:51 PM
rougher ride ..go to ********.com and under the gnc section i think theres a thread on no link and cr500 link set-ups

bmw500hp
12-17-2002, 07:57 PM
aint nothin ex is there....like they say..."there is no free lunch"

thanks for the info boys...

Extremeracer167
12-18-2002, 03:29 PM
The Custom Axis LT shock is $100 more then the reg. length shock. And u tell them when u order it that u want the LT shock, and what lenght your swingarm is. And they have to know other things, weight, skill level, kind of riding you do, etc. But its all worked into the shock, which gives it proper valving.

A no link shock will make the ride a little rougher in the small studder bumps. But for bigger hits, it works MUCH better. And its just less moving parts to maintain.

Paul400ex2002
12-18-2002, 05:00 PM
hey mxbubs... How much are you going to be selling your rear shock and swingarm for when you get ready to?

Mxbubs
12-18-2002, 08:45 PM
I will sale it for 1050$.........I paid 600$ for the swingarm, and I think 800$ for the shock. It is dual rate springs, and dual rate adjustable. The swingarm is a +1 over thick walled chromoly. If I cant get 1050$ for it, I just assume keep it. Shipping is included in that.

Brad Herrmann is going to charge me at least 600$ for a new no link swingarm, and the shock will probably be another 800$.

Everything has 2 rides on it.

Mxbubs
12-18-2002, 08:46 PM
To Bmw500hp:

Now this is what Brad told me when I asked him to look into it to see if he could do it.......He said his no link setup uses the same shock as the DC-2 LSR setup, and that he could make it work witht the ex frame, maybe without moving the shock mount, but the airbox would have to be reworked.....give him a call, tell him you chatted with Craig Graham...

bmw500hp
12-18-2002, 10:08 PM
Craig,,

thanks... i just left an e-mail... i wll call him tomorrow...