PDA

View Full Version : ?recarbuerateing?

graham300ex
12-01-2008, 06:21 PM
Right now I have a ricks hot shot cdi, white bros exhaust, uni air filter no lid, ported head. hotcam stage 1, 11;1 std. bore wiseco piston and will be racing this winter on the ice. Just wondering what the best way to recarb it would be, Buy a edelbrock? 400ex carb? and also what kind of jetting to use. What mm is the 400ex carb and does anyone no what the mm is on the edelbrock?
Thanks,
Graham

dbc112
12-02-2008, 01:30 PM
I run similar setup, ported, triple angle valve, 2mm larger piston, Larger exhaust and uni filter.

I have a 400ex carb which is 39mm. You need the 400ex carb boot (thing that connects from carb to airbox) or you can try your 300ex. Its a tight fit, best if you take a hairdryer and heat it up.. makes life easy.

As far as jetting stock main is 148... With your higher compression I assume you are running race gas or leaded fuel.

I run leaded fuel with the stock 148... however (always one of these). I have run 152... The problem is, I bought my motor used and I am not sure what compression I am running. The gas I use is leaded with Octane Supreme leaded booster. I come in at around 108. The additive is a bit expensive about $20 per bottle, half bottle per tank but aviation fuel is about $4 per gallon cheaper than VP at $10.

The best way to figure your setup out is to get a wideband sensor and display (about $250 new). You cut a small hole into your exhaust and attach/weld this "bung" to attach the sensor. Optimal air/fuel ratio is around 14.7.. And with ATV's the readings can be off with the shorter exhaust...

Other than that, it is praying to the jet gods.. I would go stock and go up.. But in reality you may need to go down. This weekend I am trying a 140 main with the aviatioin mixture...

The standard test, run in a high gear at WOT check the plug.. On the white part of the plug- Dark is rich, light brown is lean. Check out jetsrus for a good guide.

Hope this helps, really isnt an easy pick for the correct jet size. 400 stock should be plenty though.

graham300ex
12-02-2008, 06:20 PM
ok thanks for the info!

bwamos
12-03-2008, 07:15 AM
Leaded/High Octane fuel is not needed with an 11:1 compression 300ex. 91-93 octane is just fine most of the time.

I agree that the 400ex carb is a great way to go. I would start with the 148 main and work from there as well. He may also end up needing a 40 pilot jet as well.