PDA

View Full Version : Setting up Wifes new 2007 250EX

deeve
12-01-2008, 05:34 PM
I ride a dirtbike and never spent any time on a quad. I bought my wife a 2007 TRX250EX as her first quad, mostly due to the positive reviews and the sport clutch. Eventually she will move up and this will get handed down to the kids to learn on. I have done a lot of reading on this site (and others) and think I have an idea of what I would like to do to make this quad a little bit more rider friendly.

Last weekend we went for a ride on a GP track (Eddieville in Washington for the local folks. )My wife had a great time and will continue to ride which makes me very happy. I was impressed with her riding ability, but discovered some areas that I hope to improve on. Probably the most desired area to improve is the handling of the machine. The bumps on the track bounced the quad all over making for a choppy ride and it was somewhat of a handful. I realize this is an entry machine and as such has some limitations to it. I do not want to spend a whole lot of money trying to make a basic quad into a race machine, but think it can be made better than it is.

From what I have read I think the following mods should improve things in both engine response and handling. I also saw that maybe some shocks from other machines might help the handling, but I my wife is no where near the level where she would notice a difference. I just want to make it work better , be a little safer, and more fun.

Uni filter with vented air box lid.
ReJet
Change tires to 20”

My first question though is where do I get the tool to adjust the mixture screw? This thing is lean already and I know it will need some adjustment anyway once the filter goes on. I do not have the need to add any power yet, but I bet the engine could use a little more gas going through it. It is really cold blooded, to say the least.

Also, it is my understanding that changing the rear tires to a smaller size will held the cornering, but will it also help with the bouncy, bumpy ride? What about the front tires?\

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Dave

dirtdawg
12-01-2008, 05:45 PM
the smaller tires will sacrifice the top speed, bu you don't seem worried about that. that is a good idea. the fronts have to be smaller too or else there will be some weird handling going on. jetting for the air filter is a good plan. just go w/ out the box lid. it is cheaper. an exhaust system is a good idea too, but you don't want to spend a lot. i have a slip-on i could sell you if interested. you have the right ideas though. good luck! take a look at the performance thread.

deeve
12-01-2008, 06:08 PM
Thanks, I did read the performance thread and thats what got me pointed in the direction I am going. What should the front tires be 21" This quad thing is pretty new to me....but its fun learning about something new.

It gets pretty dusty in the summer so I was thinking of keepting the airbox lid on, just venting it with the little Uni filters.....

dirtdawg
12-01-2008, 07:44 PM
you'll want the same tire height all the way around. the vents are a good idea. never used them myself.

deeve
12-01-2008, 10:20 PM
Sorry, I'm confused on the tire thing...from looking at the tire websites it looks like the front and rear sets would be different sizes...for example I looked at the Kenda Flaw XC tires and they only go down to 21" front and have a 20" rear. Is that not correct?

Dave

dirtdawg
12-02-2008, 11:51 AM
that seems odd. it would slant backward a little. if anything, i'd want it to lean forward.

Mellow Yellow
12-02-2008, 06:58 PM
Put the 20s on the back! They have a wider flatter contact patch and will improve the handling over those baloon tires Honda puts on. The fronts don't have to match. It isn't a 4WD.:rolleyes:

12-05-2008, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by dirtdawg
that seems odd. it would slant backward a little. if anything, i'd want it to lean forward.

why thats the last you want the quad to do. the 250ex with same tire size front and rear doesnt provide rake. the front needs to be higher so when you hit a bump your front will float up more rather than buck you off. do you lean forward when hitting whoops?

deeve
12-06-2008, 08:59 AM
Thanks for the advice on this guys, it looks like it would take a bit of money to make the EX function like I would like and even then it would still be a compromise. I think the solution I found is to get a Raptor 250. Little bit bigger engine, better suspension, chain drive and lighter. About the only draw back I can find is that it does not have the auto clutch, with really should not be a problem.

Dave

86250rrider
12-07-2008, 03:14 PM

your scare me with your insight and knowledge:D

dirtdawg
12-09-2008, 09:34 AM
leaning forward looks better, but isn't practical. if the lean backwards is dramatic, it would look stupid. that's how they set up muscle cars anyway (leaning forward). i don't ride in woops so i don't really care. never needed my quad to be set up for it.

86250rrider
12-09-2008, 04:12 PM
heres a pic of the 450.....front tires are 23",rears are 20 " . its only a little lower in back but she rolls over logs well and handles great in the woods.

BlasterEaten250
12-09-2008, 05:58 PM
leaning forward looks better, but isn't practical. if the lean backwards is dramatic, it would look stupid. that's how they set up muscle cars anyway (leaning forward). i don't ride in woops so i don't really care. never needed my quad to be set up for it. Muscle cars are a lot different than atv's.

dirtdawg
12-09-2008, 06:41 PM
of course. just trying to show where i'm coming from. i was commenting based on a dramatic change and how it would look. that's all. i never changed the tire size on any quad i have owned.