PDA

View Full Version : What happened?

Fear250r
12-01-2008, 05:15 PM
Here's the deal. This happened about 4 weeks ago, just haven't had the time to take pics and post. Anywho, the week before, the bike ran great. Next week, sounded a little funny on the way to the pit. Sat around for a while, then went for a ride around the pit. Still sounded a little odd. Went flying down a straight away and it just didn't seem right. Pulled over and it was idling and it died. Went to kick it over, it wouldn't move.

Here are the disappointing pics. Any ideas as to what could have caused this? This motor is fresh, has about 15-20 gallons run through it. This is a brand new Wiseco crank. The head is pitted, the piston is pitted and bent on the intake side, kinda tough to see. A little bit of pitting in the intake side of my brand new cylinder and port work and then the crank. So, let me know if you've got any ideas. Thanks

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh300/Fear250r/IMG_1385.jpg

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh300/Fear250r/IMG_1386.jpg

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh300/Fear250r/IMG_1388.jpg

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh300/Fear250r/IMG_1389.jpg

312R1
12-01-2008, 05:21 PM
Thats the reason I only run OEM cranks.

Rich250RRacer
12-01-2008, 05:21 PM
Looks like another of those wonderful Wiseco cranks. No lie, I actually saw one that was brand new in a Banshee, it made the break-in and lasted about one hour after that when one of the rods snapped in half. I'm sure there's more good ones than bad, but I just wouldn't want to roll the dice.

matt250r21
12-01-2008, 05:59 PM
I had a Hot Rod rebuilt crank that lasted less then 5 minutes. I will never use anything other than OEM Honda again after that JUNK.

Aceman
12-01-2008, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by matt250r21
I had a Hot Rod rebuilt crank that lasted less then 5 minutes.

Ohhh, that'd make me sick......

Fear250r
12-01-2008, 07:25 PM
I've still got the factory crank, is it ok to have that one rebuilt, or am I better off with a new oem crank?

atvmxr
12-01-2008, 09:47 PM
looks like rod bearings went out, never seen a crank journal seperate like that... I have a hotrod crank for about 3 years now. before that I had a stocker than lasted a few months... :ermm:

I've heard good things about crankworks in AZ for rebuilding cranks...

86 Quad R
12-02-2008, 06:42 AM
where's the rest of the tin? it would appear that the tin failed in that area and was grabbed by the engine case, got thrown into the opening of the port and caused the piston damage. how's the up and down tolerance? it doesnt look as though the rod bearing gave it up.

i think neil had the same thing happen to a tin not very long ago on same crank...... not sure though.

FWIIW: i've ran many rebuilt OEM cranks (even a couple of stroked) over the years and havent had a problem.

C-LEIGH RACING
12-02-2008, 07:44 AM
Yep, I sure did.
4 weekend racing events & the tin cracked except mine was on the flywheel side & didnt come apart like yours. New Wossnor piston seized at the same time.

Those tins are enveloped over the iron crank half covering up the voids & I think from all the forming of the tin it stresses the tin itself.
You stress a piece of metal & if you dont somehow remove that stress & then it goes through viberations a crack soon develops. Once you have a hair line crack it just keeps on running just like a cracked windsheild.

I keep telling you guys, & I'm just as guilty as any one of you, we got to remember Dec 7th 1941, Pearl Harbor.
Them ol boys kick our tails that day & they are still kicking except nobodys paying any attention.
Neil

Fear250r
12-02-2008, 11:14 AM
The rest was stuck at the bottom. It caused to appear to be seized, even though it wasn't. Once I got the little piece of tin out, the crank moved freely, not like it really matters at this point.....

racerx573
12-02-2008, 12:56 PM
I had a brand new engine w/ Hot Rod crank, broke it in...1st lap of the first moto, the rod snapped in half and took out the entire bottom end, except the clutch.

destey
12-02-2008, 02:28 PM
I have a yamaha phazer that I burned down a few years ago. I tore it down and put on new crankshaft bearings. Then rebuilt it from the top up with new piston, honed cylinder the whole 9 yards. Warmed it up, shut it down and let it cool. Then I took it out for a gingerly ride. Rode back and right in front of my gagage it seized up again :(

Nothing to do but rebuild

dunatic
12-02-2008, 06:45 PM
I have both a 86 (short rod) and 88 (long rod) perfect used cranks. Both factory OEM cranks

1promodfan
12-02-2008, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by 312R1
Thats the reason I only run OEM cranks.

Where is the best place to get an OEM crank? Also, does it come with the long-rod? I've got my top-end tore down, but after seeing this , it makes me want to put in a new crank too.

86 Quad R
12-03-2008, 06:50 AM
if i'm not mistaken service honda still has them avail for the 87-89 years only. you'll need to either go with an aftermarket or have the OEM rebuilt if needing the short rod 85-86 years.

Fear250r
02-14-2009, 02:45 PM
Anyone know about how much it costs to have a crank rebuilt? I'm trying to decide whether or not to buy a brand new oem crank or have my original rebuilt. The original appears to be in decent shape. I was only told, by the guy that put the motor together, I should replace because of the big motor. It's starting to get warm and I need to get going on this thing!

C-LEIGH RACING
02-15-2009, 07:35 AM
Pro-x replacement rod kit will be little over $100.00 & most places that press 2 stroke cranks charge $50.00. The labor cost for pressing one could vari, might be some that charge more because they would do a better job.
Just remember, that cranks the heart of that engine running, you can get it done half way right & end up with a piece of junk in a short time or get it done right & it will last you awhile.

ESR will press a crank, CT Racing can do it as well as LA Sleeve.
Neil

86 Quad R
02-18-2009, 09:10 AM
check with crank works or mr crankshaft. :cool: