PDA

View Full Version : Ds 450Xxc rider test

cheryl bithell
12-01-2008, 11:29 AM
This weekend I just got to test out a Can-am Ds 450Xxc.

Getting started
The first thing we did was to go over the atv and see what needed to be done. The Xxc comes with ITP GNCC tires and black ITP beadlock wheels, and from experience with my brothers can-am I know that the front Gncc's work better when flipped around. Along with rotating the front tires, I also measured the width of the front and rear end. Front (48")wide and the rear (45.5")
This is because of the offset ItP wheels, and in my opinion it is better than 46" because you do not need to buy extended a-arms, and if you add Hipers then you will lose some width.

Next I decided that the rear needed to be widened to match the front, because of personal preference. On each side of the axle I added two .5 inch spacers to increase the total rear width to 47.5"

The suspension was almost perfect, and the ride height was just like they say 7.5", but was a hair taller in the rear, so my brother took out a turn of preload. However after a quick ride I played with the rebound and found that I needed to speed up the front and slow down the rear about 2-3 clicks.

When I first started riding it was early in the morning and the ground was semi-frozen, and then I rode again later in the day when the ground had thawed out and it began to rain.

POWER:
The first thing I noticed was the fact that I needed a pipe to achieve optimum power, and was disappointed that I didn't have a pipe to put on it. The conclusion I have come to about the power is that the stock silencer is so restrictive that it cuts the power, plus with the stock mapping it is meant more for a trail rider. I know that the can am is definately not slow, but it is unbelieavable how much power they have when a simple pipe is added and the race mapping is engaged.

Handling
It was very nimble and easy to control in the tight woods, and I think the extra width helps even more over stock because not one time did it want to tip over on me. This thing will turn on a dime with out effort, and this is my favorite thing about it, because when racing you need to make a lot of split second decisions on what line to take, and the ds will out turn any other 450.

To me it felt like I was riding with a stabilizer, and only when I went to adjust it did I realized their wasn't one there. I couldnt believe how much the bars didn't jerk.

Clutch
In 08 there was a problem with the clutch squeeling, and for 09 the clutch still squeeled, only I only heard it a total of 3 times through out my two seperate rides, and one time was when I got hung up on a tree stump. This also brings me to the next fact that the ds comes with aluminum skids attached, however it would be worth money to buy a new rear skid that allows for more ground clearance.

Shocks
Now for the shocks, because they are one of the reasons you buy the quad is so you don't need to spend $ on aftermarket ones. I will start up front then talk about the rear, then how they feel when you are riding it.
Fronts-Have dual rate springs, rebound and high low compression clickers. When you push on them they feel a little stiff, for two reasons, they are not broken in yet, and because they aren't fox's or axis, they are stock. Yet they work extremely well for all types of terain, and will soak up the big hits when you need them to.
Rear-It is very plush (or smooth throught the travel) and come having the rebound a little fast for the effect that the bike is drifty and a little shaky. But slowing until the tires just leave the ground when you push down and pull upward fast, and still maintaining the plush feel, will eliminate most of the kick you receve when hitting a braking bump, and will make the entire bike feel in control and stable.
Ride-having played a little with the rebound I was able to become very comfortable on the quad and push through the woods almost as fast as I would on my race bike. They work in unison the fronts taking up the rough roots and sharp turns with ease and the back complementing the front in the fast, open, and rough woods.
Rebuild-I would get these shocks, as any other stock or race shock rebuilt and setup for your weight and riding type and style. and if you look at the ads the shocks have triple rates, I do not know if they are availabe for purchase

Pappy
12-01-2008, 11:44 AM
Will this be your ride for 09?

cheryl bithell
12-01-2008, 12:00 PM
I am still undecided, but right now it is looking like i will be on one next year.

TNT
12-01-2008, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by cheryl bithell
This weekend I just got to test out a Can-am Ds 450Xxc.

Getting started
The first thing we did was to go over the atv and see what needed to be done. The Xxc comes with ITP GNCC tires and black ITP beadlock wheels, and from experience with my brothers can-am I know that the front Gncc's work better when flipped around. Along with rotating the front tires, I also measured the width of the front and rear end. Front (48")wide and the rear (45.5")
This is because of the offset ItP wheels, and in my opinion it is better than 46" because you do not need to buy extended a-arms, and if you add Hipers then you will lose some width.

Next I decided that the rear needed to be widened to match the front, because of personal preference. On each side of the axle I added two .5 inch spacers to increase the total rear width to 47.5"

The suspension was almost perfect, and the ride height was just like they say 7.5", but was a hair taller in the rear, so my brother took out a turn of preload. However after a quick ride I played with the rebound and found that I needed to speed up the front and slow down the rear about 2-3 clicks.

When I first started riding it was early in the morning and the ground was semi-frozen, and then I rode again later in the day when the ground had thawed out and it began to rain.

POWER:
The first thing I noticed was the fact that I needed a pipe to achieve optimum power, and was disappointed that I didn't have a pipe to put on it. The conclusion I have come to about the power is that the stock silencer is so restrictive that it cuts the power, plus with the stock mapping it is meant more for a trail rider. I know that the can am is definately not slow, but it is unbelieavable how much power they have when a simple pipe is added and the race mapping is engaged.

Handling
It was very nimble and easy to control in the tight woods, and I think the extra width helps even more over stock because not one time did it want to tip over on me. This thing will turn on a dime with out effort, and this is my favorite thing about it, because when racing you need to make a lot of split second decisions on what line to take, and the ds will out turn any other 450.

To me it felt like I was riding with a stabilizer, and only when I went to adjust it did I realized their wasn't one there. I couldnt believe how much the bars didn't jerk.

Clutch
In 08 there was a problem with the clutch squeeling, and for 09 the clutch still squeeled, only I only heard it a total of 3 times through out my two seperate rides, and one time was when I got hung up on a tree stump. This also brings me to the next fact that the ds comes with aluminum skids attached, however it would be worth money to buy a new rear skid that allows for more ground clearance.

Shocks
Now for the shocks, because they are one of the reasons you buy the quad is so you don't need to spend $ on aftermarket ones. I will start up front then talk about the rear, then how they feel when you are riding it.
Fronts-Have dual rate springs, rebound and high low compression clickers. When you push on them they feel a little stiff, for two reasons, they are not broken in yet, and because they aren't fox's or axis, they are stock. Yet they work extremely well for all types of terain, and will soak up the big hits when you need them to.
Rear-It is very plush (or smooth throught the travel) and come having the rebound a little fast for the effect that the bike is drifty and a little shaky. But slowing until the tires just leave the ground when you push down and pull upward fast, and still maintaining the plush feel, will eliminate most of the kick you receve when hitting a braking bump, and will make the entire bike feel in control and stable.
Ride-having played a little with the rebound I was able to become very comfortable on the quad and push through the woods almost as fast as I would on my race bike. They work in unison the fronts taking up the rough roots and sharp turns with ease and the back complementing the front in the fast, open, and rough woods.
Rebuild-I would get these shocks, as any other stock or race shock rebuilt and setup for your weight and riding type and style. and if you look at the ads the shocks have triple rates, I do not know if they are availabe for purchase

I test rode the 09 MX last week. The clutch seemed a little loud but I didn't hear a "squeal". From what I understand that squeal was due to lack of oil geting to the upper plates. 09 added a new clutch cover, clutch basket, an extra plate(9 instead of 8) and the clutch cover has a hole for oil fogging now. Power seemed good, a little slow getting out of corners but I can only imagine a pipe will do wonders with the race map. What pipe you thinking? I called FMF and Yosh and not for a month or two.

Thinking about riding one in 09 too.

cheryl bithell
12-01-2008, 05:36 PM
Yep everything you said about the clutch is true. I will most likly buy an HMF exhaust, i like them because they are sturdy, and let the engine put out as much exhaust as it can. I have also been told that these engines need alot of air, some even drill holes in there air box or cut some plastic off the top.

Only afterwards you may have to watch out for the bike running lean.

ScottB125
12-01-2008, 05:46 PM
Pull the TB off and smooth the transition and grind down the ridge that is right before the blade. As you said, the engines like alot of air...and this helps quite a bit. My bike picked up a few hp.

WesDS450X
12-01-2008, 06:25 PM
take the hole damn airbox off!

cheryl bithell
12-01-2008, 06:32 PM
take the hole damn airbox off!

Lol. that would work too, and the filter probably wouldn't even get dirty.

bossman525
12-04-2008, 08:23 PM
you know, i really love my outlaw, but that xc model has got to be the toughest looking quad out there. how is the suspension out of the box for say a 215lb rider? would it be to soft? my guess it would be set up for somebody around 165 or 175lbs? i do know for a fact that when my outlaw is payed off the xc model is going to be my next purchase. what a beautiful machine, all the ds's for that matter

maconu
12-04-2008, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by ScottB125
Pull the TB off and smooth the transition and grind down the ridge that is right before the blade. As you said, the engines like alot of air...and this helps quite a bit. My bike picked up a few hp.

TB?
Blade?

I have an 08 and need / want a little more. I have done nothing with intake......

thanks in advance for answering my possibly ignorant questions..

hasta

WarBirdMech
12-11-2008, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by maconu
TB?
Blade?

I have an 08 and need / want a little more. I have done nothing with intake......

thanks in advance for answering my possibly ignorant questions..

hasta

TB= throttle body

blade= butterfly. valve. flapper. paddle. ?