PDA

View Full Version : D G skidplate ????

KDracing
12-01-2008, 08:29 AM
currently i have the aluminum PRM swingarm skid plate on my 03 400ex and have had alot of trouble with it bending and hitting my brake rotor, was looking for something that can take a lot more of a hit. i was thinking of the stainless steel DG lasercut skid plate, looks like a better design than the PRM one i currently have. just wondering if anyone has it, how its held up, would you buy it again. Any other suggestions???

i do all trail riding some of it in rough rocky conditions

thanks
kdracing

TripleR400
12-01-2008, 10:40 AM
i currently have a DG baja skid plate and i would not reccomend it... PRM makes the best, had one on a 450r. Just buy a new PRM, make sure to get the one that is .250 thick...

Honda4life05
12-02-2008, 07:34 PM
I also have a DG skidplate..if your looking for strong its the way to go..the welded mounts on the frame for the skidplate to bolt on to broke off, before it even bent the skidplate. My only complaint is it sat a little low an took away ground clearance.

bert400
12-03-2008, 09:40 PM
I would not recommend the DG..I had a DG Baja too and it sucks IMO. A feww rough rides and mine was shot, it bent big time and started cracking, it sits too low as well imo.

KDracing
12-03-2008, 10:33 PM
if i am correct the baja skid plate is the aluminum one, right? I was thinking of going for something different this time since i have been through two aluminum ones and try out the stainless steel one.

like this
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA-TRX-400EX-STAINLESS-STEEL-SWINGARM-SKID-PLATE-Z_W0QQitemZ400008263031QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ200811 11?IMSfp=TL0811111110008r23553

any thoughts on going steel, im not to concerned about weight
i also couldn't find any other company that manufactures a skid plate in steel is this the only one???

cjtrx400ex
12-08-2008, 07:02 AM
The D.G. laser plates are awesome and not even similar to the Baja "Aluminum" Plates everyone else is referring to. My buddy has one and its a little heavier but no big deal. I bent both my 1/4" plates and his doesn't have a ding, and its thinner. If you can find one let me know, stainless steel plates are hard to come by but i just saw this website this morning http://www.protectfabrications.com/
not D.G. but they're steel so pretty much the same thing, maybe i'll give them a call tommorow.

KDracing
12-08-2008, 05:24 PM
found the DG ones, and found em pretty damn cheap, i just ordered mine so i can't give any feed back on the site yet. i like the DG one better then the protect because of the design of the brake rotor side, protect uses standard flat piece while DG has angled pieces in front and rear which would eliminate the possibly of the side bending up due to the angled design. (just going from pics hopefully im right)

heres the link to where i found them, hopefully this helps, the site says that they are no longer manufactured. is this true??? why not??? these are gonna get even harder and harder to find.

http://www.amazon.com/DG-PERFORMANCE-SWINGARM-5832130-CLOSEOUT-no/dp/B000GV8RG2/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1228782203&sr=8-3

KDracing
12-08-2008, 05:29 PM
CJTRX400EX - I just noticed your EX is an 07, this says it only fits 99-06 just an FYI didn't see one for 07-up

cjtrx400ex
12-08-2008, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by KDracing
CJTRX400EX - I just noticed your EX is an 07, this says it only fits 99-06 just an FYI didn't see one for 07-up

Yes but 05 - 07 is the same model. I think they changed models after the 04 the one with the headlights closer to the handlebars. But i think (im just thinkin here) that they all take the same plate, but if not its seems like protectfab will make you one to fit your model, i tryed to email them but had no luck, i will call them when i get a chance but the deal on amazon is awesome so im buying one right away if it doesn't fit screw it, ive seen em sell for 130 on ebay maybe i'll make fifty bucks if it doesnt work, looks like a win win thanks a hell of alot for digging that up.:D

KDracing
12-09-2008, 08:38 AM
well i just got an email from motorcyle accessory warehouse (amazon), looks like we wont be getting our DG skids. they said they were discountinued and no longer available, and all orders will be cancelled. i guess the search continues, let me know if you find one else where

cjtrx400ex
12-09-2008, 02:11 PM
Well that just sucks doesn't it. I was gonna send them my money to, why the heck do they still have it listed:grr:

cjtrx400ex
12-09-2008, 02:39 PM
Found this site, may want to call first but scroll down and you'll find the plate, it's a lil more expensive though.

http://www.monkeybuttparts.com/pk4/store.pl?section=333

My buddy gave me this page, he says they're legit because he's ordered from them befor but i'd check myself first.

KDracing
12-10-2008, 09:45 PM
well i finally ordered a new plate and should have it the end of next week. after calling monkeybutt parts they confirmed that they didn't carry the DG SS skid any more and will not be getting any more in (discontinued) i then went to pro tec and called them for $145 + $20 shipping i got there skid on order will let you know how it holds up when i get it. so far my experience with them is A++ very knowledgeable and friendly. (very personal, small shop treatment, orders made as they are sold) personally i perfer to deal with these types of companies rather than larger ones.

any way will let you know how their skid holds up

cjtrx400ex
12-10-2008, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by KDracing
well i finally ordered a new plate and should have it the end of next week. after calling monkeybutt parts they confirmed that they didn't carry the DG SS skid any more and will not be getting any more in (discontinued) i then went to pro tec and called them for $145 + $20 shipping i got there skid on order will let you know how it holds up when i get it. so far my experience with them is A++ very knowledgeable and friendly. (very personal, small shop treatment, orders made as they are sold) personally i perfer to deal with these types of companies rather than larger ones.

any way will let you know how their skid holds up

You got through to protec, i called and they acted like i had called the wrong number, or maybe i did.:confused: Did you use the number on the site

KDracing
12-11-2008, 08:22 AM
Yup, try this number

(317) 467-1701

shok47
12-14-2008, 08:25 PM
My 400ex came with full cobra skids. They handle well. I do alot of trail riding with alot of bumps and rocks. I always hear my skids being used and when i check them there isnt anything wrong. They are really thick and look strong

Though I did hit something real hard almost causing me to flip off my quad, and that bent it right under the brake rotor and its about 1mm away from touching. Havent got the time to bend it back.