PDA

View Full Version : zune vs ipod

derekhonda
12-01-2008, 06:35 AM
Hey guys, as a said a while ago my ipod got stolen so I am in the market for a new mp3 player. I think I want to go with the zune cause i like that it can pick up the radio as well, but I have heard two conflicting stories. Can I hook the zune up to my Itunes list and have it copy all of the music there onto it?

ben300
12-01-2008, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by derekhonda
Hey guys, as a said a while ago my ipod got stolen so I am in the market for a new mp3 player. I think I want to go with the zune cause i like that it can pick up the radio as well, but I have heard two conflicting stories. Can I hook the zune up to my Itunes list and have it copy all of the music there onto it?

the zune doenst work off of itunes, it works off of its own zune software that you can download either from teh zune or from microsoft. but as soon as you turn on your zune software, all of your itunes songs will not appear on the zune software. plus, you can sync your zune with anyone elses zune software and never loose any of your music and take all teh music you want. plus you can listen to the radio with the zune. the only downfall is that compared ot the ipod, the zune is still new and there are not as may out there, so there are fewer accessories....

but all in all..ive sued the ipod and its a great sytem, but i would never trade my zune for an ipod, and would recommend the zune to anyone

ProspectorJim
12-01-2008, 09:02 AM
The ipod uses a different file type so no. It uses .mp4 and .mpg4 which is specifically made by apple so that you have to have an ipod to download stuff from the itunes store. Unless you have a program that will convert them to another format, you can't transfer them.

miller821
12-01-2008, 11:13 AM
Just use limewire.;)

greenblood01
12-01-2008, 11:35 AM
I have a Zune and love it. The last update they did allows you to connect it to wireless internet and purchace music straight from the Zune Marketplace without ever plugging it in to the computer. It seems everytime I connect my Zune to the computer it adds something new, such as games, a clock, and the wireless marketpace.

Zune gets my vote.

derekhonda
12-01-2008, 12:30 PM
I don't have any doubt I'm gonna like it, but I have a couple thousand songs saved on my itunes and I don't really want to have to start over. Anyone know a program that will let me convert it to the zune software? Also, how about accesories. I have one of the docking stations for my ipod. Will the zune plug into that?

elmer91
12-01-2008, 02:03 PM
personally i would go with a zune. i am anti-ipod, everyone has one. Have you considered Sandisk Sansa? i own one, it is great, can take a beating, and cheaper than an ipod.

klutch
12-01-2008, 02:21 PM
I'm getting an iPod touch soon lol. But I think zunes are awesome too. Can't go wrong with either one of them.

ben300
12-01-2008, 07:01 PM
I don't have any doubt I'm gonna like it, but I have a couple thousand songs saved on my itunes and I don't really want to have to start over. Anyone know a program that will let me convert it to the zune software? Also, how about accesories. I have one of the docking stations for my ipod. Will the zune plug into that?

all you have to do is is left click on a song in your ituns library and then right click on convert to aac file...then it'll be in the zune library...so ahh.. prospector jim...your wrong....

and ipod dosent run of mp4 or w/e...they run off of aac or acc files or what ever...so you dont have to worry, you dont have to start over, you can use all of your itunes songs.....

id go with teh zune...give it a try.....

ProspectorJim
12-01-2008, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by ben300
all you have to do is is left click on a song in your ituns library and then right click on convert to aac file...then it'll be in the zune library...so ahh.. prospector jim...your wrong....

and ipod dosent run of mp4 or w/e...they run off of aac or acc files or what ever...so you dont have to worry, you dont have to start over, you can use all of your itunes songs.....

id go with teh zune...give it a try.....

never noticed the convert to aac option before. But in regular format from itunes, music files are .m4p and videos are .m4v.

ben300
12-01-2008, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by ProspectorJim
never noticed the convert to aac option before. But in regular format from itunes, music files are .m4p and videos are .m4v.

files have to be aac.....to work on both players...

researched it before i bought the zune....

i had an extensive itunes library, but i really didtn watn an ipod...and i wanted someting else that i could use...

my mom had bought a zune to go to the gym with, so she convinced me to buy one adn take it with me over spring break skiing....i love the dang thing....

jus wished i had gotten a bigger one...im running out of room

Kickstarts-suck
12-02-2008, 12:37 AM
Only reason I didnt get a Zune is because my Alpine doesnt have a hookup for a zune :p

My Ipod is good to me though.

12-02-2008, 05:05 AM
Originally posted by ride hard man
Just use limewire.;)

yes. because limewire is an mp3 player :o lol

Originally posted by greenblood01
I have a Zune and love it. The last update they did allows you to connect it to wireless internet and purchace music straight from the Zune Marketplace without ever plugging it in to the computer. It seems everytime I connect my Zune to the computer it adds something new, such as games, a clock, and the wireless marketpace.

Zune gets my vote.

Apple has had that feature (iTunes on the ipod and you can download songs on the go) for atleast 1-2 years. I love it, if I'm at work and I want to listen to a song I dont have, I'll just buy it right there.

derekhonda
12-02-2008, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by ben300
files have to be aac.....to work on both players...

researched it before i bought the zune....

i had an extensive itunes library, but i really didtn watn an ipod...and i wanted someting else that i could use...

my mom had bought a zune to go to the gym with, so she convinced me to buy one adn take it with me over spring break skiing....i love the dang thing....

jus wished i had gotten a bigger one...im running out of room

Thank you. Now will the zune also play in say an I-Home speaker system?

miller821
12-02-2008, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by nofearrider1
yes. because limewire is an mp3 player :o lol

Thanks a lot captain obvious... I was talking about to download his music.:rolleyes:

If you want it to charge and play... No it won't... If you plug it in as an AUX, then yes it will play through it.

ben300
12-02-2008, 12:01 PM

no you cant use ihome or any of the ipod connections, because th zunes male and female connection ends are differnt than that of an ipod...they look similar but i believe the ipod is wider than that of the zune....but you can get a pretty rediculous thing like the ihome that is specifically for the zune that is manufactured by kicker car audio....it pretty cool

check it out...here it is at crutchfield...i imagine you can get it cheaper other places cause i think crutchfield can be pretty expensive at times...

http://www.crutchfield.com/g_285050/MP3-iPod-Speakers.html?tp=44&nvpair=FFBrand%7cKicker

ben300
12-02-2008, 12:05 PM
...also the zune is alot newer than the ipod whcih has been out for like 6 or something years now versus the zune which has been out for like 2 at the max....so i imagine that as time goes on your gonna see more players like aht for the zune, its jsut ipod dominates the market right now....

like i said before....they are both great players....they both are practically teh same accpet zune has radio..you cant go wrong with either one...im completely happy with my zune...so good luck with your choice..