PDA

View Full Version : starter problems

tpro450r
11-30-2008, 10:15 PM
I have a 06 450er and have nonstop problems with the starter lately. the starter now only spins like a gear inside won't kick out to turn the engine over. it started out that every once in a while this would happed,and now it does it all the time. I planned on doing a kick conversion to it this winter anyways but I wouldn't mind fixing the starter on it too, so I could have both. I have never held the button down for more than around 4 seconds at a time when starting it. but if it does hook up it turns over fine for about a second then kicks out again. I have heard about some sleeve on a shaft in there that can go bad this may be related to.if so what kind of fix am I looking at,and is it really worth the trouble to fix it.

12-01-2008, 07:21 AM
did you take it in for the bulletin about the starter? are you the original owner? the bulletin expired in september as they gave you about a year to have the free service done so you may be s.o.l.

the parts on mine cost about $300ish, but i think they replaced more than they needed to. it was all free to me of course since it was done under the bulletin.

miles Machine
12-01-2008, 07:33 AM
my advice get a manual, and check the one way starter clutch, more than likely that's your problem

tpro450r
12-01-2008, 11:46 AM
no I'm not the original owner,got it last march from a dealer and they said nothing about starter problems. guess I'm sol thanx for the info though.

tfuchs
12-03-2008, 05:12 PM
Its your one way starter clutch, you will need the new clutch, bearing, sprocket and hub to keep it performing properly.

GIXXER1KR
12-28-2008, 01:00 PM
I already had the dealer recall done.It wont work if i just change the bearing and inspect the hub and gear.$50 vs $150 is it worth a shot on just the one way clutch bearing?

YELLOW_TRX400EX
12-28-2008, 02:41 PM
i have had y\that problem since i got mine in 06 brand new like 2 month later start doing that i took it to do the recall and nathing samething if u find out what the problem is let me know bc im tired of dealing wit that problem.....

it sounds like a tooth is missing in the gear that the starter hooks on!!! it spins free right?