PDA

View Full Version : first cross country race

chadbarger18
11-30-2008, 08:25 PM
In about 2 weeks i am planing to race my first hare scramble in vanleer TN and i need some advice ive only rode mx i think i could make it the hour and twenty five min but i read all about the starts and im just confused ive watched the gncc starts at lorettas would it be anything like that? and would they be strict about sound i have an hmf and am pretty sure it is louder than 94bd what should i do to get ready for this ????

thanks chad

Robin Hood
11-30-2008, 09:26 PM
They're usually not too strict about db's. And yes, the starts are dead engine. The key to any harescramble is to have a good pace. Don't go out expecting to hammer down for the entire 2 hours. Finish the race then step it up at the next one.

CRE Performance
11-30-2008, 09:40 PM
I recently started pulling dual duties with MX and XC. Ill tell ya one thing, its a totally different work ethic between the two. The best advise I can give you is PATIENCE! Let the other guy in front of you screw up, youll always come out on top.

I know I got very impatient in my first couple of races and made some passing lines up some really steep muddy terrain and it wound up costing me a clutch and a about 2 laps.

Also, watch your lines, especially if you going to try it out with anything less than a 22" tire. If its muddy, most are running 22" tires on the rear, and those ruts get deeper than your tires will go and youll get stuck a lot trying to take the most taken path toward the last laps of the race.

416exfreak
12-01-2008, 07:29 AM
I remember reading an interview with Bill Ballance a while back in one of the magazines..

Ballance says he doesnt try to ride at 100% for the whole 2 hours. He rides hard through sections then backs off through some sections, thus conserving energy for when it can be fully used.

Either way man, just go out and keep the rubber side down. Stay safe and have fun!:)

*Having fun is the most important part*

Scro
12-01-2008, 07:36 AM
The mid-south series does not check sound level. Just do like others have said and try to pace yourself throughout the race. Hazzard Hill is not bad at all, just keep in the throttle. Taking hill will save you quite a bit of time.

Don't be worried about the start. It's a long race, and you're not going to win it in the first turn. Watch for his elbow to move on the start, it usually moves before the flag does.

Just try to have fun, race the track and not other racers.

fastredrider44
12-01-2008, 07:49 AM
Vanleer is a rough track, but very fun. My advice to others is not to try to win it on the first lap. I usually try to keep pace with my class on the first lap, ride smart the second lap, and ride as hard as possible on the last lap. See you there.

smr
12-01-2008, 09:48 AM
good luck man....look us up that weekend and we will help you get started.

chadbarger18
12-01-2008, 02:36 PM
thanks for the advice im gettin pretty excited now just gotta get ready

XCRacer236
12-01-2008, 04:08 PM
stay SMOOTH, use your HEAD, and HAVE FUN!
only words ive ever heard about XC, and it worked out for me ALL year!

the Z Man
12-01-2008, 04:38 PM
Be consistant (sp) it really helps to get a good start, don't be afraid to rev on the guy in front of you, sometimes they don't know you are there....
walk the start of the race and scope out some good lines, don't hesitate on hill climbs or crossings and ride your own pace, you will find you are racing against yourself alot, so keep your head down and go fast!!!!

Johnny Minehan
12-03-2008, 07:33 PM
Hang back on your holeshot, when i first started i felt like i was faster when i followed someone than to be alone. Also, like a lot of other people have said, dont go balls to the wall until your last lap. First one, take it easy, second one, step it up a little more, etc. Good Luck!

fastredrider44
12-03-2008, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by Foxracing1762
Hang back on your holeshot

Middle of the pack would be good. As your first race, if you were to pull holeshot, chances are good that you would likely get nervous and do more harm than good. A lot of times I will be following somebody for a while, figure out where I'm faster than they are, wait for the oppportunity, then pass. no point in passing somebody if you're not faster than they are.

the Z Man
12-03-2008, 10:00 PM
Ride alot and get good practice runs in, work your way up to 1 hour with out stopping, then you will be ready and you won't.. burn yourself out,
Go for the win!!!!!!
Don't be shy and go for it, you will love it and be hooked!!!