PDA

View Full Version : New valves and piston,still wont start right O.K

3racers
11-30-2008, 06:49 PM
ok guys got a 05 450 put new valves and piston cleaned carb and airfilter.Rechecked valve adj and decomp.After all this it should start like a new one. Sometimes it starts with 2or 3 kicks sometimes 15 and still wont start samething when its warmed up .Anybody got any ideas?? foot still sore!! crank and bearings only 1 year oldor less.

WilRideAnything
11-30-2008, 07:12 PM
Maybe the jetting. Try holding the throttle open just a hair when kickiing it. Don't pump it or hold it wide open. Just crack the throttle a little bit when kicking. If it starts you need to either back out the air/fuel screw or you need a bigger pilot jet.

Bwild
12-11-2008, 06:38 PM
When you put in new valves did you check to see if they were sealing good? Where your valve guids good? Is the quad all stock?

IMSROLL450R
12-12-2008, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by WilRideAnything
Maybe the jetting. Try holding the throttle open just a hair when kickiing it. Don't pump it or hold it wide open. Just crack the throttle a little bit when kicking. If it starts you need to either back out the air/fuel screw or you need a bigger pilot jet.

Umm yeah don't do that unless you want to replace kicker gears and possibly a new right side case.

LT-R450 131
12-12-2008, 01:28 PM
maybe its the stator

Chino886
12-12-2008, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by 3racers
ok guys got a 05 450 put new valves and piston cleaned carb and airfilter.Rechecked valve adj and decomp.After all this it should start like a new one. Sometimes it starts with 2or 3 kicks sometimes 15 and still wont start samething when its warmed up .Anybody got any ideas?? foot still sore!! crank and bearings only 1 year oldor less.

I would recheck the valve clearances.......I bet that is it. make sure the cam is lined up too. having it one tooth off in either direction makes for hard starts.

KEVIN132
12-12-2008, 05:17 PM
try spark plug too
my buddy had same prob!!
$15 :D

TRX450RACER174
12-12-2008, 05:57 PM
I'm going with Chino recheck valve specs an check the decomp it sounds like it needs a little less psi in the cyl.

12-12-2008, 06:53 PM
could the cam be 180 out? if the valves arent hitting the piston and you can turn it over fine no binding with a wrench I say jump start it. Jump starting a quad is usually the easiest wasy to get it started. Put it in 1st roll it down the street and as you drop the clutch jump backwards putting weight on the rear. If that dont work tow it behind a car and do it lol

One_Bad_400
12-12-2008, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by LT-R450 131
maybe its the stator

stator should not be a problem on a kick start.

i had an electric and stator went out so instead of buying stator i just put kick start in it and it cranks.

( i may be wrong, but whats what i did. )

3racers
12-13-2008, 06:53 AM
Yes have checked valve adj. new plug when i took to dealer i asked them to check stator they didn't they said valves and then said piston after that 500$ theysay Idont know maybe stator or sensor on carb.this is a honda dealer that can't fix took it there because I was stumped now I'am broke! It will start and run but takes too many kicks to start sometimes has to roll start. also its been there 3 months :confused: :mad: :grr:

3racers
12-13-2008, 07:11 AM
yes motor is stock run good son placed 3rd in just before we put in shop just wanted to start like it did before 2or3 kicks didn't change anything.also bought new 450 so he could stay in points at races.Should I call Honda ??think they well pay for one we just brought??

One_Bad_400
12-13-2008, 07:39 AM
man. i'll tell you right now. the word "honda shop" just adds the 2 words "idiots" and "thievs"

i have 2 friends that took there bike to the honda shop. nether one would start.

1st friend: they said they needed to replace a bunch of stuff and that it would cost nearly 3 grand!!! (you can buy a new motor for that). so, my friend was in cali so i took his bike to my local engine builder and he did the hole job PLUS he found more ploblems with it. and he did the hole job for half the price that the honda shop asked.

2nd friend: they told him all the same stuff they told my first friend. well all of it was lies becaue i checked all those problems the night b4 he took it up there. so his uncle went up there raising a hand full of hell and went crazy on them for lieing. well, they admitted to lieing and they ended up putting a free piston and a bunch of other stuff for free.

3rd friend: he actually works at the honda shop, and he said they ended up having a big meeting for lieing there butts off to my friends. haha.

so my point behind this. raise a bunch of hell. and get out of it. thats rediculous

Chino886
12-13-2008, 08:55 AM
I can guarantee you that if its starting and it is taking more than one kick, it is the decomp mechanism.

I would raise Kane with the service manager. I would demand you money back!

3racers
12-14-2008, 07:05 AM
Well after rising hell telling them what to check and what to do they still thought I didn't know what I was doing so I loaded bike up and brought home 2 hours later starting on first kick 5 times in a row the stator was weak just like Itold the dumb asses in the first place.

Chino886
12-15-2008, 08:57 AM
I am still going to say it was not the stator....but I am glad that you got it running!