PDA

View Full Version : Am I Another Victim??

MO-EX-RIDER
11-30-2008, 06:30 PM
CHANGED THE OIL IN THE BIKE AND FOUND THE OIL FILTER TO BE MORE SHINY THAN NORMAL? THE METAL IS REAL FINE! THE BIKE RAN GREAT AT THE RACE AND STARTED BEFORE WASHING IT THE FOLLOWING WEEKEND....AFTER THE BATH THE KICKER SEEMED TO WANT TO STICK...SO I FIGURED I HAD A BEARING OUT AND THE OIL CHANGE CAME WITHIN MINUTES TO FIND THE DAMAGE

WHATS THE PRICE IM LOOKING AT TO GO THRU THIS B**CH..IM NOT DOING IT MYSELF EITHER

MO-EX-RIDER
11-30-2008, 06:55 PM
PIC
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e312/gixxer-man/111_0175.jpg

WilRideAnything
11-30-2008, 07:08 PM
Crank bearing is shot. The price depends on the damage. If you were doing it yourself, between $1,000 and $1,500. If you have a shop do it $2,000 to $2,500. If you lived closer I would do it cheap.

d3ktrix
11-30-2008, 09:17 PM
Don't even start the engine again, don't want to chance it locking up and the rod coming out of the cases. Plus all the metal flowing around inside the engine.

My friends locked up tight the other day, oil filter looked even worse then urs.

pro-rider46
11-30-2008, 11:03 PM
hey i have a question... sorry if you think im hi jacking your thread.
I have a brand new engine in my R and it just broke in, and i changed the oil and filter and it had a decent about of shavings, is this supposed to be that way. i know that it is supposed to have some shavings from break in but idk if its normal.

WilRideAnything
12-01-2008, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by pro-rider46
hey i have a question... sorry if you think im hi jacking your thread.
I have a brand new engine in my R and it just broke in, and i changed the oil and filter and it had a decent about of shavings, is this supposed to be that way. i know that it is supposed to have some shavings from break in but idk if its normal.

There should be no metal at all. I've never had any of the engines I've rebuilt do that. It sounds like to me you have a problem.

Drewltr450
12-01-2008, 03:01 PM
everysinglee one of every engine i have ever broken in has always had a couple shavings of metal the first time i changed the oil. To me this is very normal

400exrider707
12-02-2008, 09:18 AM
Everyone I've broken in has some sort of small amount of shavings in the filter... if not... then it didn't break in. Break in is usually when the piston rings seat to the cylinder. The items wear in together, thus "broke in"

Those prices seem absurd

I'm also willing to bet its not the crank bearing. More often than not its the rod bearing. The crank bearing issue usually happens within the first few hours of riding on the motor. Beyond that the rod bearing seems to go out a lot sooner than crank bearings. This is just my personal experience from the wrenching I've done on the 5 04/05 bikes we have on our team. There is only one of the bikes that hasn't had this problem yet and I believe its because it just doesn't have enough time on it yet. All of them lost the rod bearing.

When my rod bearing went the first time, I got updated crank/rod from Honda ($195), new gaskets from Honda ($100 or so), JE piston ($150 from C&D) Misc bearings and cam chain and small things of that sort ($200 or so...) and I put a cam in ($75 used)

Did all the work myself and with a piston and cam to upgrade and I was still well under the $1000 mark.

pro-rider46
12-02-2008, 01:30 PM
thanks guys.

I rebuilt my crf 450 motor for under $400.

crank - 200
je 12.5:1 piston-100
gaskets - 60
bearings 35or so.

WilRideAnything
12-02-2008, 07:13 PM
When I do an engine. I replace everything. Price everything including the labor for a valve job and then check my figures.