PDA

View Full Version : Will I have trouble??

Kirt13
11-30-2008, 06:27 PM
So my 250r has been sitting in my garage for almost 1 year with out me running the engine at all.
It has plenty of oil and antifreeze in the engine.
Am I running in to trouble by keeping the old fluids in or do I need to drain everything?
I just checked the fluid by letting some out of the pump drain screw. It had no visible rust.
Thanks. :)
Kirt

trx310R#24
11-30-2008, 08:39 PM
id spray some w-d40 in the head... run it then change the oil. if the oil is old it some may be sticking to the gears, case whatever but to get it off just warm up the motor then change the oil...

Kirt13
12-01-2008, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by trx310R#24
id spray some w-d40 in the head... run it then change the oil. if the oil is old it some may be sticking to the gears, case whatever but to get it off just warm up the motor then change the oil...
You are a little off topic.
My question was; will it hurt my engine to leave the antifreeze and oil or do I need to drain it out.

quad9
12-01-2008, 03:11 PM
antifreeze will be just fine as long as the mix is good.
oil.... that is up to you. i like clean oil in something that is going to sit for a while. the gas will be your trouble. drain the carb, and the tank.

Kirt13
12-01-2008, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by quad9
antifreeze will be just fine as long as the mix is good.
oil.... that is up to you. i like clean oil in something that is going to sit for a while. the gas will be your trouble. drain the carb, and the tank.
Thanks!! I'll drain the fuel.
Kirt

Aceman
12-01-2008, 06:34 PM
I'd drain the tank and carb bowl. Oil the filter. Run it around and get it hot, then change the oil.

atvmxr
12-01-2008, 09:56 PM
do not put WD-40 in the combustion chamber!!!! put a couple cap fulls of premix in there instead maybe. WD-40 will act like a degreaser and strip the oil coating off the cylinder wall...

my concern would be water in the fuel and making sure the rod bearings/cylinder wall are properly lubricated. and check/clean the air filter

Kirt13
12-02-2008, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by atvmxr
do not put WD-40 in the combustion chamber!!!! put a couple cap fulls of premix in there instead maybe. WD-40 will act like a degreaser and strip the oil coating off the cylinder wall...

my concern would be water in the fuel and making sure the rod bearings/cylinder wall are properly lubricated. and check/clean the air filter
Yeah, the WD-40 trick was a pretty bone head idea.
Thanks for the help.
Kirt